playing x3tc on a keyboard without a number pad

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

panzerkw
x3tc

playing x3tc on a keyboard without a number pad

Post by panzerkw » Sat, 26. Dec 09, 21:06

Hello all, I am a new player and have gotten "sucked in" to X3TC in a major way. If ever there was a "software toy for grownups" this is it.

Now, my question is about how to play the game on a keyboard without a numberpad. My previous keyboard was old, beatup, and dirty, and my wife, bless her heart, got me a new wireless keyboard and mouse combo for christmas.

unfortunately the new keyboard does not have a numberpad and I just can't get up the nerve to return it for another one that does. I'm worried about how I will manipulate station placement without one. I suppose it doesn't really matter and I can just mouse the stations in and not care about their orientation, but just want to see if anyone else with this "problem" has managed a workaround. thanks

lair360

Post by lair360 » Sat, 26. Dec 09, 21:38

Please get this and use it on X3. I tried it with my keyboard + mouse!

P.S. This little thing will come in handy!

http://www.etstore.co.uk/itemdesc.asp?ic=4981&eq=&Tp=

juanitierno
xrvr

Post by juanitierno » Sat, 26. Dec 09, 23:11

The one suggested above im sure is useful, but i would worry at night it would transform into a robot and start shooting at me.

A cheap USB numeric keypad (like those sold for notebooks) should do the trick fine, and dont come equipped with PACs :)

[ external image ]

lair360

Post by lair360 » Sat, 26. Dec 09, 23:20

juanitierno wrote:The one suggested above im sure is useful, but i would worry at night it would transform into a robot and start shooting at me.

A cheap USB numeric keypad (like those sold for notebooks) should do the trick fine, and dont come equipped with PACs :)

[ external image ]
That looks decent. But, I am more worried out his palm and wrist. For long hour play like.... 1 hour, you might get muscle cramp and ect. So, my advice is to use my one. It will give your hand, fingers, wrist and palm better comfort and control. It also comes with a joystick to maneuver your ship. :D

panzerkw
x3tc

Post by panzerkw » Sun, 27. Dec 09, 00:30

I think the USB numpad is fine, as I only really need it for station placement and that isn't too often. Plus that other thing is pretty costly. thanks

TTD
x4

Post by TTD » Sun, 27. Dec 09, 01:29

That Belkin unit is almost like the one I had .But mine had a roller-ball for mouse control.

In fact with my laptop I also had a USB numberpad. The two worked in complete harmony.

I would recommend the number pad any day,and for X games the other device is just great.

Nearly tempted to get another now.

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Sun, 27. Dec 09, 01:57

some keyboards have function keys that turn part of the normal keyboard into a number pad. perhaps check if your keyboard is capable of doing something like that

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”