dusting off my copy of x3:reunion, but...

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

kwest419
x4

dusting off my copy of x3:reunion, but...

Post by kwest419 » Mon, 28. Dec 09, 00:03

i've had the game for a few years now, never was able to get into it much due to unwillingness to "learn" the game, but now have decided to take the old buster out yet again and have found renewed interest in the game. (so much so, i've purchased and DL'd x3:tc) :D here's my problem... with my renewed interest, i've also been reminded of one key hurdle i had which was figuring out how to start earning credits. i've dabbled in the story mode a little, but prefer to make my own way and my own experience. do i HAVE to start out on a trader's path? wanted to take down pirates for cash, but as i mentioned being in the buster you start with i'm usually turned to space dust before i manage to get through their shields. i'm not looking for a "start-to-finish" tutorial, i just want some "direction". been flying around for hours exploring and such and having a little dough to beef up my thrusters and shields would be nice, but i cant seem to solo ANYTHING. :evil: advice?

zyriel
x4

Post by zyriel » Mon, 28. Dec 09, 00:19

if you wanna be pirate - then my suggestion is first do taxi missions
and bringing back abandoned ships missions (anything that doesnt involve combat)

work your rep up and you get the cash easier
also with higher ranks you will be able to get nice ships/shields/weapons
also killing xenons for mission should be ok
dont kill yaki and dont kill pirates until you have enough cash to start with boarding
one good way is to start as terran defender -
about 6-10 hours of work and you get nice ships and enough start cash to start a pirate life

except the custom start and aldran adventurer -
you can start doing all the main plots whenever you want theres no timeline for them
and it doesnt matter if you start ast humble mechant or terran defender or any other just try to not kill pirates so you can acess most of their bases

Laden Swallow
x3tc

Post by Laden Swallow » Mon, 28. Dec 09, 00:28

If you are playing the plot missions, then at some point you will have a mission from the goners aboard one of their ships to protect a crystal.

If you can have a second ship at this point (even a lowly disco) then you can use this second ship to take the mission, while your buster waits in the sectors that you fight the pirates in with a special command software installed to collect all the missiles that drop. With a few hornet missiles collected which IIRC sell for around 20k a pop you can more than pay for the disco you bought.

Another handy tip to earn money early on, which fits in nicely with the role you wish to assign yourself, space fuel runs in herrons nebula. The trading station buys space fuel for more than average price (unlike most wares) so if you can get the space fuel distillery whilst it is near full (different game start have different starting stock levels due to the random number generator) and if the trading station is near empty then you can earn a very quick buck. Selling some starting equipment (such as a PAC or 2) will aid in having the starting funds to make trading space fuel quickly profitable in the short term, wherein you will have more than enough money to buy the PAC back, just be aware of race reputation issues - if you get scanned whilst carrying illegal goods then you will lose race reputation and will be asked to drop cargo, and buying the PACs back may require you to be on better terms with the locals than when you start.

Between these, you should be able to fully upgrade your buster, it is then a case of picking targets, in terms of numbers and types (perhaps stick to other M4s and M5s until you feel comfortable in combat...) (some people recommend capturing a pirate buster, then a falcon, then a nova each ship providing something slightly better than the previous) and making extensive use of the stafe drive (WASD keys) to dodge incoming fire.

jrd417
x3ap

Post by jrd417 » Mon, 28. Dec 09, 00:38

Well I think zyriel is thinking you are playing X3TC instead of X3R but the advice is still sound. Do the easy missions, get some credits and improve your ship. The one real difference in the two games is with Reunion you need to comm each and every station in each sector to find the good jobs. As soon as you can afford it pick up the cargo life support. Then do the taxi missions. Also look for space battles and pick up any missiles you see floating around. They are a great source of credits. I really think you should just explore as much as possible and not worry so much about the credits. Have fun while you are poor there will be plenty of time for adventure later on in your game. Just remember to comm each station you find and read the bulletin board at each one.

kwest419
x4

Post by kwest419 » Mon, 28. Dec 09, 01:23

thanks alot for all the advice so far. since i was vague as to which game i'm playing ATM, i am getting accustomed to the game again in reunion then i'll be moving on the TC. jrd417, you do bring up a great point in regards to exploring. perhaps i'm getting to ahead of myself with the combat aspect of things and just needed a different perspective on approach. maybe i just need to hangout more in a particular sector and patrol for battles/easy targets and sit back till the dust clears and loot the drops? either way, thanks for the guidance. 8) :x3:

TTD
x4

Post by TTD » Mon, 28. Dec 09, 10:42

One guy takes protect station missions and does nothing ,but still gets paid. http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=266251.I t is in TC,but it might work in Reunion?Not played that for about a year.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Mon, 28. Dec 09, 13:11

* No "Protect station" missions in X3R.
* No need for Cargo Life Support in X3R (unless you pick up suits).
* Need to dock at station in order to see its BBS.

* Scavenging could yield the first 100k.
* (Automated) Mobile Mining is among the "least investment required".

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”