X3R Satellite Question

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

D_Strider

X3R Satellite Question

Post by D_Strider » Tue, 29. Dec 09, 17:43

I'm just getting rolling in the game, got a couple of UT's, a few odd and end fighters and a couple mil in credits. As I'm still getting the hang of everything and learning what all I can do I came across the "Deploy Satellite" function of the Fleet Support Ship Software.

So I set a Discoverer up to deploy Adv. Satellites and let it loose in Argon Prime. It's been doing it's job, setting Sats about 15km above the center of the sector map.

The question is: Is it a good idea to be doing this? Rather, will covering the map with Sats be useful or is it just a waste of resources and cluttering up the joint?

Musicker
x3tc

Post by Musicker » Tue, 29. Dec 09, 17:49

Deploying satellites is very useful. It allows you to quickly go to the universe map, click on any sector you have a satellite placed, and see everything going on within range of that satellite, including checking prices and availablility of goods at any station.

If you're into pirating it can help you locate juicy targets without flying through sectors to do so. Just make sure you don't lose too much reputation with the race who owns the sector or they'll take out the satellites and anything else you have in their territory.

Hope this helps!
i9-12900K 8P/16 + 8E 3.20GHz
2TB Seagate® FireCuda® 530 Heatsink (PCIe Gen4) NVMe M.2 SSD - Seq R/W: Up to 7300/6900 MB/s
64GB (32GBx2) DDR5/5600MHz Dual Channel Memory
GeForce RTX™ 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6X

The Nightmare

Post by The Nightmare » Tue, 29. Dec 09, 18:39

i like to deploy sats in sectors that have shipyards so i don't have to go to the sector(which usualy has lot of traffick) when i need to buy a ship
Don't anyone move....or ill fill ya with little yellow bolts of light
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amcyqMpO ... o_response

juanitierno
xrvr

Post by juanitierno » Tue, 29. Dec 09, 20:01

Remember satellites count as property (and property means you can check prices and remotely trade). As such, stations dont need to be in range of the satellite.

I do what The Nightmare suggested, by placing the satellites at 0,100,0 (center of the sector, very high above). That way i get most of the benefits (price checking and remote trading) whiole only losing the ability to see what ships are flyying through. Placing them far from the ecliptic plane almost guarantees their survivability, as they wont get randomly attacked.

D_Strider

Post by D_Strider » Wed, 30. Dec 09, 01:43

Cool, thanks for the info.

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Wed, 30. Dec 09, 12:05

I think the info gathered via Sats is added to the Encyclopedia as well..

- correct me, if I'm wrong.. :roll:
- the whole universe is running in BETA mode - we're working on it.. beep..!! :D :thumb_up:

Buck_Rogers
x3

Post by Buck_Rogers » Wed, 30. Dec 09, 15:01

If you use scripts, there is an option which will mean you don't have to worry about your sats being blown away.

Satalite Early Warning Network

It includes a BBS advert, which will charge you a few credits on a regular basis, to replace destroyed satellites. As well as giving you the option to have your Advanced Sats shout a warning back to you, when an ememy ship is detected.

I can't live without it! :lol:
Buck Rogers

Vice Admiral of Shadows Haven Alliance (SHA) visit us at:
SHA Forum
Feel free to join my DID
Too often we lose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown. But only 4 to extend your arm and slap the bugger!

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”