SETA issues

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Prismseed

SETA issues

Post by Prismseed » Wed, 30. Dec 09, 18:51

X3:TC

Having issues turning on SETA, only seems to work when in autopilot lock, tried unplugging the controler incase joystick sensitivity no help.

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Wed, 30. Dec 09, 19:25

SETA will not work if you are moving the ship manually. If you want to travel on SETA you need to use autopilot.

See the guide linked in my sig
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

Prismseed

Post by Prismseed » Wed, 30. Dec 09, 19:31

The problem is I can't 'explore' in SETA. In X3:R I just set myself in a direction, stopped touching the controls, and activated SETA, seta then cut iself off the moment I used steering/controls.

The only autopilot I know of is through the command console/navigation options.

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Wed, 30. Dec 09, 19:53

That's how SETA is supposed to work. It only activates when you don't manually move the ship.

Your options are autopilot or being stationary.

If you want to explore using SETA, use the autopilots 'move to position' feature.

The easiest way is to have autopilot on and move your ship from position to position by clicking on the minimap. This activates the autopilot in 'move to position' mode.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

Prismseed

Post by Prismseed » Wed, 30. Dec 09, 20:04

That doesn't do me much good when blindly flying through empty space looking for a gate or something.

Musicker
x3tc

Post by Musicker » Wed, 30. Dec 09, 20:11

This isn't entirely correct. If you are not touching the flight controls and you get your ship moving in one direction and hit the J key in Terran Conflict, you should be able to use SETA just fine - as long as you don't touch any keyboard keys or move the mouse while in classic flight mode SETA should run until you stop it or you get too close to an object.

If you aren't touching your controls and SETA won't run, there is something making the computer think a key is being pressed down or the mouse/joystick being moved.

Try tapping every key on your keyboard lightly once or twice, and if you have a joystick plugged in, unplug it long enough to test whether it's causing the problem...
i9-12900K 8P/16 + 8E 3.20GHz
2TB Seagate® FireCuda® 530 Heatsink (PCIe Gen4) NVMe M.2 SSD - Seq R/W: Up to 7300/6900 MB/s
64GB (32GBx2) DDR5/5600MHz Dual Channel Memory
GeForce RTX™ 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6X

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Wed, 30. Dec 09, 20:24

Prismseed wrote:That doesn't do me much good when blindly flying through empty space looking for a gate or something.
That's your option though. SETA has never worked while a ship was being manually flown.

Searching on SETA without using the autopilot is a good way to get killed, particulerly in foggy sectors.

The move to position command will accept positions hundreds of kilometers off the visible sector map. Use that and you will be able to use autopilot+SETA.

It's probably easier if you get yourself a scoutship set up with explorer software and get that to look for the gates instead.

Musicker
x3tc

Post by Musicker » Wed, 30. Dec 09, 20:35

I agree with MrBadger here - Teladi Kestrel + full tunings, plus navigation, special and explorer softwares + map sector option = very quickly explored sectors.
i9-12900K 8P/16 + 8E 3.20GHz
2TB Seagate® FireCuda® 530 Heatsink (PCIe Gen4) NVMe M.2 SSD - Seq R/W: Up to 7300/6900 MB/s
64GB (32GBx2) DDR5/5600MHz Dual Channel Memory
GeForce RTX™ 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6X

Prismseed

Post by Prismseed » Wed, 30. Dec 09, 20:39

You can fly with seta on so long as you don't steer/strafe/move. As long as your ship is going in a straight line with no interruptions SETA will run without autopiloting like go to.

Turns out the right analog stick on my logitech dual action is broken, I adjusted my controls setting to do nothing with it and seta starts just fine.

Bobucles
x3tc

Post by Bobucles » Wed, 30. Dec 09, 20:43

SETA turns off as soon as you hit any controls. This is a combat safety feature, typically when you want to control your ship you want it NOW.
You can perform minor maneuvers without kicking SETA. Practice using just a tiny amount of steering, it's really handy for driving around the extra slow capital ships.

Use the sector map for exploring while using SETA. Simply double click a location on the map, you will go there without turning SETA off. In addition, the sector map is a great way to find gates or facilities. Simply follow the freighter convoys, they beeline it for all the useful gates.

Use a kestrel with a triplex scanner if you intend to scan huge sectors. This includes the Malestrom and Aldrin.

Threesixtyci
x4

Post by Threesixtyci » Wed, 30. Dec 09, 23:41

You using a HOTAS type controller? I remember reading something about a button on it being a switch and you must deactivate the switch function or the game sees it as a button push. It's in a sticky or something...

Here it was from a thread, but lead to a FAQ:
http://forum.egosoft.com/posting.php?mo ... &p=3139765

Ozman202
x3tc

Post by Ozman202 » Wed, 30. Dec 09, 23:57

Check your joystick isnt sagging slightly to the side (like my ancient bloody sidewinder) when you dont have your hands on it, that might be the cause of your issues.
Too many M3's Die by crashing into their own missiles

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”