Cluster Flak vs Flak Artillery Array

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Stillwater97

Cluster Flak vs Flak Artillery Array

Post by Stillwater97 » Thu, 7. Jan 10, 18:20

Which is better?

Kapakio
x4

Post by Kapakio » Thu, 7. Jan 10, 18:29

FAA

Lancefighter
x4

Post by Lancefighter » Thu, 7. Jan 10, 18:34

Depends.

Do you like pinpoint destruction, or mass genocide?

Master of the Blade
x3tc

Post by Master of the Blade » Thu, 7. Jan 10, 18:41

Depends which version you're playing- after the 2.5 update, I found Cluster Flak to be far better than standard flak in accuracy, and the power ratings are very similar.
Allergic to work.

If at first you don't succeed, delegate the job to a minion.

Frostynso

Post by Frostynso » Thu, 7. Jan 10, 20:36

Master of the Blade wrote:Depends which version you're playing- after the 2.5 update, I found Cluster Flak to be far better than standard flak in accuracy, and the power ratings are very similar.
Same here.

Sn4kemaster
x4

Post by Sn4kemaster » Fri, 8. Jan 10, 00:55

The simple truth is........their ain't that much difference between them, both kill M6 and smaller ships very easily.

Maybe the standard FAA is that smidgen more powerful........but cluster looks far far far far cooler 8)

Bobucles
x3tc

Post by Bobucles » Fri, 8. Jan 10, 01:04

The weapons are fairly similar. I favor the FAA simply because more ships can use it.

If you want mass genocide, pick up the Paranid Phased Shockwave Generator. It launches a cloud of death larger than a Xenon station, and the full reach goes out to a bit beyond 2.5KM. No fighters can hope to pretend surviving contact with it.

kgkosio
x4

Post by kgkosio » Fri, 8. Jan 10, 02:04

Bobucles wrote:The weapons are fairly similar. I favor the FAA simply because more ships can use it.

If you want mass genocide, pick up the Paranid Phased Shockwave Generator. It launches a cloud of death larger than a Xenon station, and the full reach goes out to a bit beyond 2.5KM. No fighters can hope to pretend surviving contact with it.
Including your own.
Fan of the save game manager by badger
Best Steam DiD death: Fly into a TL repeatatly while repairing it

Omini
x4

Post by Omini » Fri, 8. Jan 10, 12:26

I found the Cluster Flak has to actually hit the ship directly to cause huge damage... I've seen a Kha'ak Interceptor go unharmed after a cluster flak exploded around it, engulfing the entire thing in about 6 or 8 clusters of explosions.
amtct wrote:Don't quote this
I should be a journalist.

Tutorial On Selecting Single Mod Package

Llama
x3tc

Post by Llama » Fri, 8. Jan 10, 12:35

Omini wrote:I found the Cluster Flak has to actually hit the ship directly to cause huge damage... I've seen a Kha'ak Interceptor go unharmed after a cluster flak exploded around it, engulfing the entire thing in about 6 or 8 clusters of explosions.
I think it works much like the useless FBL in that respect.

FAA is decent, but too many fighters and you get overwhelmed. The PSG is well, crazy
I fly Terran for the accents

Sn4kemaster
x4

Post by Sn4kemaster » Fri, 8. Jan 10, 13:39

Llama wrote:
Omini wrote:I found the Cluster Flak has to actually hit the ship directly to cause huge damage... I've seen a Kha'ak Interceptor go unharmed after a cluster flak exploded around it, engulfing the entire thing in about 6 or 8 clusters of explosions.
I think it works much like the useless FBL in that respect.

FAA is decent, but too many fighters and you get overwhelmed. The PSG is well, crazy
Overwhelmed really? I use both FLAK and Cluster for capitol defense and have had M2's fight off 30 + M3 ships using either of them.....( eg Boreas with up/down/rear FAA)

PSG is an excellent weapon but can only be used in certain sectors and when no friendly ships are around so its use is very limited

FLAK is a scapel....PSG is a sledghammer

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Fri, 8. Jan 10, 14:01

Llama wrote: I think it works much like the useless FBL in that respect.
It *USED* to work like the FBL in that respect. The 2.5 patch is supposed to have fixed CFA.

Snowship
x3tc

Post by Snowship » Fri, 8. Jan 10, 14:07

and the thing is upping the speed of FBL makes it just as useful as the CFA is now :o
why they didn't do both in the one patch I don't know
[ external image ]
Vanilla Malt Gamestarts
"The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire"

Master of the Blade
x3tc

Post by Master of the Blade » Fri, 8. Jan 10, 17:19

Because if the FBL worked as it's supposed to, it would be incredibly overpowered- a flak- style weapon in fighters= instadeath to anything smaller than an M3 and a quick death to M3s and M6es. The inaccurate but powerful projectile of the FBL is actually a rather good deterrant- I've lost 3% of 75mj shielding per hit from the single FBL turret of a Pirate Nova often enough. If eight hit at once, that's 24% in one go. Ouch. If that was insta-hit or AoE (whichever EGOSOFT gets to work :P ) then it'd replace all standard fighter weaponry in the game. As I understand it, anyway.
Allergic to work.

If at first you don't succeed, delegate the job to a minion.

perkint
x3tc

Post by perkint » Fri, 8. Jan 10, 20:22

Looking at the stats, FBL appears less harmful than HEPT, slower and less efficient. Even if it worked I don't think it would be that scary.

Would have the obvious advantage of being able to hit multiple targets at once if the AoE worked, but I still don't think it'd be over-powered.

But then, I'm not sure if the spreadsheet I'm using is correct :oops: I know it was wrong on something I checked a while back, but it's a later version than that now. Not double checked anything to make sure this version is up to date for v2.5 tho...

Tim
Struggling to find something from the forums - Google it!!! :D

Bobucles
x3tc

Post by Bobucles » Fri, 8. Jan 10, 20:27

The Fragmentation Bomb Launcher is that weapon that uses a lot of energy, does little damage, can't hit anything, and is outclassed by every other weapon, right?

All it needs is for one of those problems to be fixed. Since it's supposed to be a bomb, it could work if it had lower damage and a decent AoE. Even then it'd need proximity detonation, or it still won't hit anything.

brattbags01
x3tc

Post by brattbags01 » Sat, 9. Jan 10, 10:04

ued to not bother with either of them, thought they made lots of noise and that was it. Then i managede to pick up 9 CFA from an Akuma and decided to fit 4 up and 4 down in my Boreas. Next time in Senators Badlands i could not belive how fast they decimated about 30 fighters including M3 and M3+, in fact so impressed was i that i've decided to leave out the IBL's and keep the CFA in situ :)

AgamemnonArgon
x3tc

Post by AgamemnonArgon » Sat, 9. Jan 10, 11:41

I have 18 Shrikes and 3 Cerberus. Since I was running out of FAA, started using CFA in the Cerberus, which are using more FLAK, and added ISR x 2 with FAA x 2 in the Shrike. I understand the accuracy with CFA is improved in Vanilla 2.5 but have seen no problems with any weapons. ISR has a nice effect in my personal Panther when engaging enemy fighters. :D
Argon Patriot and Battlemaster
Peace - Through Superior Firepower

brattbags01
x3tc

Post by brattbags01 » Mon, 11. Jan 10, 23:54

I took out all the ISR from my Panther and replaced them (up and Down) with 8 FAA. Instadeath :twisted:

festa_freak
x3tc

Post by festa_freak » Tue, 12. Jan 10, 00:51

I actually looked at the stats last night and I figured FAA was 'better'. I bought these FAAs before 2.5 and back then it was a no brainer. If I recall correctly, the damage is almost, if not exactly identical, speed of projectile were both quite high too! I think the range of CFA was ~1.7 km while the FAA was ~2.2 km.

In reality, I haven't had any troubles with FAA. I can do the 'kill pirate' missions where there are many m5, m4, m3.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”