[TC] Using Freighters as Tow Trucks

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Koruth
x4

Using Freighters as Tow Trucks

Post by Koruth » Wed, 13. Jan 10, 08:58

Hey, I'm trying to use some of the TS-class ships that can equip Tractor Beams in their turrets as towtrucks, as they're rather low-cost alternatives to dedicated corvettes, which I would need otherwise.

Problem is, it's turret-only, as no TS classes (or other fighter-sized classes as far as I can tell) have main guns that can mount TBs... and there seems to be a problem. I kitted out a Mistral with a TB in its front turret, got in it, pressed F1 until I got the front turret aaand... It will not fire. No purple searching beam, no latch-on green beam, nothing.

So am I doing something wrong here, or will I have to go and capture a centaur or something and waste valuable large-class docking space on a dedicated towtruck?

Catra

Post by Catra » Wed, 13. Jan 10, 09:18

only the caiman has enough laser energy to fire the tractor beam

Koruth
x4

Post by Koruth » Wed, 13. Jan 10, 09:23

AHA! It's a problem of laser energy! I didn't even think of that!

Thanks

Bobucles
x3tc

Post by Bobucles » Wed, 13. Jan 10, 14:11

Woah, woah!

You can equip a ship with weapons it can't fire? Who thought this up? :?

cheezy379
x3tc

Post by cheezy379 » Wed, 13. Jan 10, 17:20

Bobucles wrote:Woah, woah!

You can equip a ship with weapons it can't fire? Who thought this up? :?
I wonder this to.

PowerPC603
xr

Post by PowerPC603 » Wed, 13. Jan 10, 17:26

Don't the tractor beam and the mobile drilling system use the same slot (the white rectangle in the equippable weapons section?

Then it would explain why the TS can mount the tractor beam (as it's able to mount the mobile drilling system) but isn't able to fire it due to too low weapon energy.

They should have used separate slots then, if this is true.
GamePC: 64bit Quad-core i5-3450 @ 3.1GHz, 12GB RAM, nVidia GeForce RTX2070 8GB, 22" LG Full-HD LED-monitor, Windows 7 Home 64bit

Reimu Hakurei
x3tc

Post by Reimu Hakurei » Wed, 13. Jan 10, 19:40

PowerPC603 wrote:Don't the tractor beam and the mobile drilling system use the same slot (the white rectangle in the equippable weapons section?

Then it would explain why the TS can mount the tractor beam (as it's able to mount the mobile drilling system) but isn't able to fire it due to too low weapon energy.

They should have used separate slots then, if this is true.
Interestingly enough, the Vali can mount the repair laser and tractor beam but not mobile drilling system.
Though maybe it's just a mis-listing like the Aegir's supposed third laser slot in the rear.

Koruth
x4

Post by Koruth » Fri, 15. Jan 10, 19:11

Just an update: I got myself a Caiman miner (the only caiman that can mount TBs for some reason) and it works just fine and dandy! Drags things around every bit as well as any ol' 'vette, and its 90m/s speed is probably gonna make it my primary towtruck until I can get some springies.

As for the turret thing... I also think that slots should only be shared if the disparate lasers *also* use the same amount of energy, so as to avoid confusions like mine. I also don't like the color-coding system currently used, as it makes it difficult to tell which guns a ship can mount at times (though I'm red-green colorblind, so that's probably a huge part of it) and would be better served, in my opinion, by a simple letter/symbol system.

Catra

Post by Catra » Fri, 15. Jan 10, 20:33

i have numbers dotted down on a sticky for the laser type :P

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”