mass driver equipped corvette = fun

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Stillwater97

mass driver equipped corvette = fun

Post by Stillwater97 » Fri, 15. Jan 10, 18:00

Started a new game the other day and after making some $$, I bought a centaur and loaded it with mass drivers.

While the range on these weapons is poor, it chews through ships real quick.
Anybody else use these much?

AgamemnonArgon
x3tc

Post by AgamemnonArgon » Fri, 15. Jan 10, 19:25

On my OOS Heavy Centaurs I do use EBC, HEPT,and MD. Then leave them to Patrol two or three at a time. They work in low risk areas only against Pirate M5, M4.
When an MD will suffice, it tends to be on my ships.
Argon Patriot and Battlemaster
Peace - Through Superior Firepower

Llama
x3tc

Post by Llama » Fri, 15. Jan 10, 23:05

I use Blastclaw protos for my IS carrier craft sometimes. FF is annoying though
I fly Terran for the accents

Reimu Hakurei
x3tc

Post by Reimu Hakurei » Sat, 16. Jan 10, 03:48

Servicing ammunition feeds is not a regular persuit of mine but I did exactly that once, what with MD ammo in particular being abundant. In retrospect I feel a Dragon would've been more appropriate; at the minus 1km ranges though I'd rather have a PBG loadout in the end.

AgamemnonArgon
x3tc

Post by AgamemnonArgon » Sat, 16. Jan 10, 07:29

A TL of mine keeps almost 11,000 Mass Driver reloads - but have yet to use this armoury. EBC is the standard even on my larger Starships, and it has about 4,000 spare reloads. Gauss ammunition is expended more, due to having 4 Gauss weapons on each of my Frigates and some on my Phoenix ships. There must be about 80 Gauss in service.
Refuelling, Rearming and Repairing warships is part of the game. I simply keep one or two of each, and replace the front line units, then bring the Patrol ships into space dock for a time, to ready them to go out again. At the moment I have the luxury of two Boreas to use as a Rapid Deployment Force, and a similar number of Shrikes, ready to go.
Argon Patriot and Battlemaster
Peace - Through Superior Firepower

83N170

Post by 83N170 » Sat, 16. Jan 10, 15:35

I went through a phase of using them. I had my M7 loaded with them so I could take on Khaak destroyers. I'd do multiple passes of afterburnering in to close range, shoot up to a third hull off it and jump out before my shields went. After four tries the destroyers were no more and not a scratch on my ship.

When the enemy's shields are insurmountable for your weaponry, wearing away is the only option. Also in sustained firefight if your energy gets low you may be able to switch from energy to ammo based weapons. I did try using them on my Titan as anti-fighter, reasonably effectively, but I replaced them with flaks in the end. Besides, they're kinda slow at dealing hull damage, most other weapons are a lot better. I still prefer shooting down shields and watching hull disappear in seconds.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”