Making the repair laser repair faster?

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

lettuceman44
x3tc

Making the repair laser repair faster?

Post by lettuceman44 » Mon, 18. Jan 10, 07:55

Hello.
I was wondering if you fine folks can help me with one of two things.

Either
1. Please direct me to a script that speeds up the repair process when using the personal repair laser

or

2. Please try to explain and help me figure out how to edit it myself :P

The repair laser is probably the one thing I have no patience for, and I really want to make the process go quicker.

Thanks. :D

skeptic

Post by skeptic » Mon, 18. Jan 10, 10:44

It's quite easy. Grab X3 Editor 2 and install it. Fire it up and Open>From VFS>Types>TShips. Scroll down the list and find "Space Suit". Select the Performance tab and adjust the "Weapons Energy" and "Weapons Recharge Rate" as you see fit.

Alternatively there's the cheat package hull repair or if that's too much like cheating take a look at the Nanite Hull Repair mod that uses spare shield energy to repair the hull (my personal favorite method)

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Mon, 18. Jan 10, 17:07

Well, I guess the easiest way to a speedup is to use my autofire script because with that you can SETA it.

Sure you can mod it. You can even script a laser to vastly exceed it's design specs.
In a test script I had unmodded MAM fire as fast as PBE...
But all that's a lot more tricky.
My complete script download page. . . . . . I AM THE LAW!
There is no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

lettuceman44
x3tc

Post by lettuceman44 » Mon, 18. Jan 10, 18:35

What is the autofire script?

Lancefighter
x4

Post by Lancefighter » Mon, 18. Jan 10, 18:43

click on gazz's script download page in his sig and look for it?

Retiredman
x3ap

Post by Retiredman » Mon, 18. Jan 10, 18:50

Or you just can use an M6 class(corvette) and install Repair lasers(Mod) on it.
I have 3 Terran Kantanas filled with repair lasers and let them do the work.

They even let me know when they are done.

lettuceman44
x3tc

Post by lettuceman44 » Mon, 18. Jan 10, 19:47

Lancefighter wrote:click on gazz's script download page in his sig and look for it?
I did. I didn't find it. :D

Retired...that actually sounds like a good idea...for later use though, right now its just me and my ship.

edit: I actually did find it. Didn't realize it was part of the auto aim script though. My bad.

panzerkw
x3tc

Post by panzerkw » Mon, 18. Jan 10, 21:05

I use Autoprep along with an Argon Magnetar armed with 4 repair lasers. I set autoprep to repair any ships, then I leave the sector. Since laser energy is not a factor OOS any ship the Magnetar is working on gets fixed very quickly.

lettuceman44
x3tc

Post by lettuceman44 » Mon, 18. Jan 10, 21:37

Thanks everyone for the help!

I am content. :D

dpadula
x4

Post by dpadula » Wed, 20. Jan 10, 01:56

There is a repair laser script that is excellent. I can not find the name of it though at the moment. It creates a few Repair Laser Factories that you must supply or the AI might do it for you. The lasers cost about 500k each and it takes about 9 hours to make each one when supplied. I think it is a nice option that also removes the cheating feel from the game. Might be a good option to use. Also Salvage Command Suite is another good one. It allows you to claim ships remotely but then also charges you 50k if you want to have a repair ship come in the ship. They also let you salvage the ships and stations in President's End too. Both are good options and seem to work well together too.
-----
Dell Precision 3600
12 gb ram
Nvidia 1060
256 gd boot ssd and 1 tb data ssd
Windows 10

lettuceman44
x3tc

Post by lettuceman44 » Wed, 20. Jan 10, 02:51

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll look into them.

Luckily, I do not need something so advanced atm. But in the future...I'm gonna need something like that for my fleet.

Sorenson
x3tc

Post by Sorenson » Wed, 20. Jan 10, 03:38

dpadula wrote:The lasers cost about 500k each and it takes about 9 hours to make each one when supplied.
...WHY?

The thing costs 64 spacebucks. What possible and perfectly rational reason could the scripter have for making it so stupidly expensive and difficult to manufacture?

Forgive the outburst, but it amazes me to no end how some of these scriptwriters will put the most inane and pointless hurdles into the simplest possible thing.

EDIT: I KNEW IT I KNEW IT I KNEW IT. I knew I should have left in that "and don't you dare say balance" clause.
Last edited by Sorenson on Wed, 20. Jan 10, 04:55, edited 1 time in total.

Lancefighter
x4

Post by Lancefighter » Wed, 20. Jan 10, 04:46

'its all in the ream of balance'.

For instance, Gazz will never write a script that allows the player to 'cheat', unless he gives the AI the same kind of cheat - see MARS. Its completely optional if the player allows the AI to use MARS, but the option is there. (i think, correct me if im wrong)

Also, Gazz's AI ammo cheat cheats missiles into existence for m7ms.. And I can tell you firsthand how evil 300+ flailswarms are.

Also, there is a version of the repair laser script where the only change is allowing them to be bought at some trading stations for their 64 spacebucks cost. 64 spacebucks -> infinite repair money? Id think not as well.

Actually, I am almost tempted to write up a proper mod to add the repair laser as an HQ buildable object - Stop people from whining... Besides, once you get to the point where you have an HQ, you dont particularly need to save every penny usually :twisted:

Sorenson
x3tc

Post by Sorenson » Wed, 20. Jan 10, 05:17

Lancefighter wrote:'its all in the ream of balance'.
More like 'swinging from the Free repairs cheat end of the spectrum, overshooting the sweet price spot where repair equipment would make sense, and landing in the you gotta' be freakin' kidding me endzone'. Five grand, ten grand, twenty-five grand I could understand (heck you could fully load an M3 for the cost of a few HEPTs) but 500? That's not only unreasonable considering the overall effect the additional laser gives, that's a darn insult in some eyes.. It's like the dude is saying "oh, you want more repair lasers to speed up repairs? Sure, you can have 'em, you just have to fork over every spacebuck you earn for the next 10 hours."

Like I said, it's just fascinating some of the mind-boggling common-sense-distanced choices some of these devs make, especially when you try to look at them from a gameplay angle. I know there's a station capture script out there that decides that it's not just enough to lose your marines if the raid fails, nor is it enough to lose the TP they were ferried to the station on, nor the reputation loss and siccing of the law on your behind. Oh no: for whatever reason dev decided that in addition to the above, the stations you were trying to capture should periodically self-destruct like a nuclear middle finger.

Lancefighter
x4

Post by Lancefighter » Wed, 20. Jan 10, 07:16

Look, I'm not particularly in a mood to argue tonight.

Guess what: It is what it is.
If you've got a problem with it, you are CERTAINLY welcome to tell all the scriptors out there to go to hell and not use ANY of their products.

You want to know whats stopping you? Your own incompetence. If you could write your own script to create repair laser stations, you would. But you cant, so instead you whine about other people's. What Im saying here, is if you cant walk the walk, you have no gods be damned reason to complain if someone else walks a way you dont like.

Now that I got that rant out, I should mention that 500k is nothing once you hit the midgame..
500k means something in the early game, but only because of the opportunity cost - you could buy a m3 for two repair lasers, so why buy repair lasers?
Once you hit the point where you can designate a ship to be a dedicated repair laser only ship (note: You dont only get additional repair rates for the beams, you can run them pretty much indefinitely on a ship due to energy reactor ), you dont need to be worrying about a measly 500k.. or even the 4 mill it costs to fit 8 of them in a laser bank.

Serial Kicked
x3tc

Post by Serial Kicked » Wed, 20. Jan 10, 07:46

omg :rant: spotted :mrgreen:

To calm things down, here's a few important facts:

1) If you don't like it, change it. A one line change in a t file, how hard. Moreover you'll find (well, maybe not anymore) here people that will gladly help you doing so.

2) 500k credits is not a big deal. Even in the game beginning, capture and sell one or two manually repaired M3 and here you go.

3) For something that gives you a fast and unlimited repair ability, 500k is cheap. I mean REALLY cheap. I would have made the script, it would have cost 2 or 3 times more.

4) We aren't paid in any way by Egosoft. All our work is done on our free time. Coherent complaints are usually accepted. But rants and aggressive posts against the community won't.
for whatever reason dev decided that in addition to the above, the stations you were trying to capture should periodically self-destruct like a nuclear middle finger.
Killed marines, of course. Destroyed TP, meh. Reputation/money hit, sure. But the station self destruct is overkill i agree. A faction that would try to get it back from time to time (until they forgot) would have been smarter, but way harder to implement.
X3:TC/AP Pirate Guild 3 - Yaki Armada 2 - Anarkis Defense System

Anarkis Gaming HQ
Independent Game Development
X3 Scripting and Modding Station

Vayde
x3tc

Post by Vayde » Wed, 20. Jan 10, 12:49

You forgot about Marine repairs guys. Buy a cheap TM and some donkey no star marines, park the TM up and when you cap or find an m3 or less, have the TM jump in and dock your prise.

Your low star crew will set about reparing the hull and making you xtra credits. Combine it with NPC bailing addon and you can spend many happy hours trawling through the universe as a scrap metal merchant :)

On a more serious note. Anyone who has a low end system and finds combat tough on the frame rate, then this combo could be what you are looking for.
Still life in the old dog yet...

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Wed, 20. Jan 10, 14:08

500k really is nothing just use it to repair a single m3 and uve already made your money back

CHAZZ
x3tc

Post by CHAZZ » Fri, 22. Jan 10, 20:08

500k or 5 milions, who cares. My lost nerves while looking at my zippo placed on my CTRL key when the SLOOW repair is underway are priceless.
Even 50 millions for some buyable repair ship (like the magnetar one mentioned) would be an OK price. THAT ship would be very busy in my game, unlike those lazy-ass Skirons sitting on their hands 99% of the time :)

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”