Lasertowers useless? Not so fast...

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

akeelah
x3tc

Lasertowers useless? Not so fast...

Post by akeelah » Wed, 20. Jan 10, 06:11

It turns out lasertowers are like pennies. Individually or in small quantities, they border on useless. But, if you have enough of 'em...

[ external image ]
Q vs the lasertowers

[ external image ]
And it's over before you know it

Zloth
x3tc

Post by Zloth » Wed, 20. Jan 10, 06:14

Ha! Very nice.

jack paralax

Post by jack paralax » Wed, 20. Jan 10, 06:16

Wow, took some time to orchestrate that one. I'll bet the animation brings most computers to their knees.
I just beat Demon's Soul's!! Four destroyers pose no threat!

akeelah
x3tc

Post by akeelah » Wed, 20. Jan 10, 07:06

jack paralax wrote:Wow, took some time to orchestrate that one.
Quite the opposite. To be honest, I just dumped them there to get rid of them. I had mistakenly overproduced them and later decided I really needed the TL they were stored in. So I jumped it to it to X472, dumped them and forgot about them. I figured they'd be gone in no time. But then Betty informs me they're under attack, and I watch on the Sector Map (from OOS, mind you) as a Q goes down in a few seconds. I jump in to see for myself, and there was a 2nd Q slowly approaching. Boom! Gone in a matter of seconds. Now I can't tear myself away. It's hugely entertaining!

jack paralax wrote: I'll bet the animation brings most computers to their knees.
Surprisingly, no. The animation is quite fluid. Nothing at all like a 'roid-filled sector with a big complex in it.

In fact, the whole thing is positively mesmerizing to watch. It's like sitting in front of a nice fire or an aquarium. They Xenon keep coming, and the lasertowers keep putting on quite a show killing them.

350 (or so) of them all slowly turn in unison to point at the target...

[ external image ]
Ready... Aim....

[ external image ]
Fire!

It's quite the show, really! :lol:

Edit: link fixed

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Wed, 20. Jan 10, 08:02

your links are all tiny thumbnails
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

Rilder
x3tc

Post by Rilder » Wed, 20. Jan 10, 09:37

Thats... awesome.
NUKLEAR-SLUG wrote:Your average planet has a fair degree of stopping power.

Catra

Post by Catra » Wed, 20. Jan 10, 09:43

E
P
I
C

XanII
x4

Post by XanII » Wed, 20. Jan 10, 09:45

You didnt deploy them at all? just eject:350 units and then they get scattered around to avoid colliding each other? that sounds nice.

If they do that then they can be very useful since i got sectors where there are fabs/sats near the gate that would get attacked first -> i would fly in and it would be nice to get some assistance from laser towers as i attack personaly the assaulters.
X3:TC Heavy M6 guide : : : Let's pretend you are an addict, lets pretend that you are a X-games player... but i am repeating myself here.

Catra

Post by Catra » Wed, 20. Jan 10, 09:49

You didnt deploy them at all? just eject:350 units
that is how you deploy them :P (and its also why spacewalk boarding fails so hard right now :lol:)

Magnu
xr

Post by Magnu » Wed, 20. Jan 10, 09:58

I'm going to try this in
Spoiler
Show
Terran Unknown Sector 3 in an attempt to keep the Q's at bay.
I've tried everything else.

Mystery00
x3tc

Post by Mystery00 » Wed, 20. Jan 10, 10:07

XanII wrote:You didnt deploy them at all? just eject:350 units and then they get scattered around to avoid colliding each other? that sounds nice.
Didn't know they scattered themselves either, this is very useful indeed. :twisted:

XanII
x4

Post by XanII » Wed, 20. Jan 10, 12:03

I had a hunch they do scatter. but didnt realize you can actualy just dump them all and you lose none.

Blocking That Aldrin xenon sector would be nice. i have let them run rampant there and focused entirely on Aldrin 1 and 2.
X3:TC Heavy M6 guide : : : Let's pretend you are an addict, lets pretend that you are a X-games player... but i am repeating myself here.

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Wed, 20. Jan 10, 12:08

[ external image ]

Always reminded me of... this.

The end result is quite similiar anyway. =)

All ships that you "set position" in space use the safe placement routine, trying to find a safe spot before settleing.
That's why in terran sectors with their huge stations you sometimes have satellites or whatnot warp 100km away when you deploy them.
My complete script download page. . . . . . I AM THE LAW!
There is no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Le Baron
x3tc

Post by Le Baron » Wed, 20. Jan 10, 12:14

Lasertowers are often underestimated, very often! Especially when you see that you can afford 50 of them for 6 Mio Credits, worth an unequipped M6 :) and 50 of them are enough to destroy a Q within 7-9 seconds.
No other weapon is that powerful for just a few credtis ^^

http://es.xfire.com/video/b4008/
Support optional Steam-free X:R!
optional (!!!) Non-Steam XR release or we won't buy!
Steam = Game Over!

Cyricist
x3tc

Post by Cyricist » Wed, 20. Jan 10, 12:34

Well now, you've just given me something to do with that 62 million I have to invest in sector security :lol:

"Xenon... Q.." *zaBOOOOOOOOOOOM*
andymac wrote:Bravery is directly correlated to shield and hull capacity.
Keep your friends close, and your enemies even closer!... Except of course for Khaak... You want to stay as far away from them as possible...

TTD
x4

Post by TTD » Wed, 20. Jan 10, 12:41

A good handful of fighter drones mk II plus one well positioned laser tower helps a lot in one particular instance in TC
Spoiler
Show
Final Fury...
When you go to destroy all the Kha'ak stations in their home sector

akeelah
x3tc

Post by akeelah » Wed, 20. Jan 10, 15:35

XanII wrote:You didnt deploy them at all? just eject:350 units and then they get scattered around to avoid colliding each other? that sounds nice.
That's right. It all resulted from of a series of mistakes. I had screwed up in over-producing all those lasertowers in the first place. Then, in an effort to correct another unrelated screw-up (is there a theme here?), I decided I needed that Hercules right now, and the lasertowers were just in the way.

In a fit of frustration, I jumped the Hercules to X472, ejected them all at once, and jumped him back out. I was OOS at the time, so there was no collision-detection involved. In fact, it was quite some time before I jumped in to see it all first hand.

akeelah
x3tc

Post by akeelah » Wed, 20. Jan 10, 15:36

Gazz wrote:[ external image ]

Always reminded me of... this.

The end result is quite similiar anyway. =)

All ships that you "set position" in space use the safe placement routine, trying to find a safe spot before settleing.
That's why in terran sectors with their huge stations you sometimes have satellites or whatnot warp 100km away when you deploy them.
Now THAT's how it's done!

Cyricist
x3tc

Post by Cyricist » Wed, 20. Jan 10, 16:03

akeelah wrote: Now THAT's how it's done!
Takes a long time to setup I imagine...
andymac wrote:Bravery is directly correlated to shield and hull capacity.
Keep your friends close, and your enemies even closer!... Except of course for Khaak... You want to stay as far away from them as possible...

Le Baron
x3tc

Post by Le Baron » Wed, 20. Jan 10, 16:09

Cyricist wrote:
akeelah wrote: Now THAT's how it's done!
Takes a long time to setup I imagine...
No, bcs. it's done by a script (written from Gazz if I'm right), which is named accordingly: "Ring of Fire" :twisted:
Support optional Steam-free X:R!
optional (!!!) Non-Steam XR release or we won't buy!
Steam = Game Over!

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”