Fragmentation Bomb Launcher trick to make it useful

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

killyg

Fragmentation Bomb Launcher trick to make it useful

Post by killyg » Tue, 26. Jan 10, 12:58

not sure if this has been posted before, did a quick search and haven't seen anyone mention it. I believe I found a way to make two useless items in this game useful.

1. The FBL is generally considered completely useless, it's just...bad
2. The Tornado missile is also often ignore as far as missiles go. People say it's only good for spamming against capitals, and that it's completely outclassed by the Typhoon.

I say, put these two underdogs together, add a sprinkle of creativity, and suddenly you have a very powerful combination. The sacrifice is one single main battery point.

The trick is to stop thinking of dumbfire missiles as missiles, and start thinking of them as extremely powerful lasers that can only be fired from the boresight. Once we recognize this, we'll realize that dumbfire missiles only have two serious drawbacks:

- premature denoation when launched under fire
- piss poor accuracy caused by the lack of auto-aim

the first issue we can't do anything about, as it's a problem with all missiles in this game. The second issue, however, we can remedy.

Smarter players will have no doubt realized where I'm going with this. If you take a look at the stats of the FBL and Tornado, you'll notice that the FBL bullet travels at very similar speeds to the Tornado missile. This means the FBL's autoaim can be used as a subtitute for the Tornado missile.

To do this, equip a single FBL, and assign it to its own weapon group. Whenever you wanna fire Tornados, switch to the FBL and aim your boresight at approximately the auto-aim reticule, then fire away. Now the FBL is still slightly faster, but to compensate for that is not difficult at all. With very minimal pratice, I can consistently nail everything down and including M3s from up to 5km away. Any further than that and the auto-aim indictor won't show up (which is really too bad, but oh well).

This means you don't have to get close enough to smell your enemy's bad breath before launching missiles. Go in for a strafing run, fire off one Tornado at 5km, note you're outside medium weapon range, and thus safe from your own missiles. Yes, I kinda lied about not being able to do anything about issue #1, because you won't be under fire if your enemies' weapons can't reach you. Anything under M6 will be dead. M6s will likely have all of its shields stripped, then you continue the strafing run, close in with HEPTs for the kill.

400k damage that you can land from 5km away, usable by most M3s, take a second and let the implications sink in. Your Nova Raider can now take out pirate centaurs in just one pass. Don't even need to wait for laser energy to recharge, as you'll only need HEPTs to take out the hull. I know the next plex I'm building is going to be a tornado plex :shock:

tl;dr
Use your FBL's auto-aim to shoot your tornados FOR GREAT JUSTICE

Bobucles
x3tc

Post by Bobucles » Tue, 26. Jan 10, 13:52

But you don't normally use the FBL, right?

Kapakio
x4

Post by Kapakio » Tue, 26. Jan 10, 13:59

It sounds a really great idea.

I guess you will have to compensate the 1s it takes to fire all 8 heads (since they are fired consecutively, not instantly)

killyg

Post by killyg » Tue, 26. Jan 10, 19:00

But you don't normally use the FBL, right?
no, you don't actually fire the FBLs, that'd just mess up your missiles =p
vbruzual wrote:It sounds a really great idea.

I guess you will have to compensate the 1s it takes to fire all 8 heads (since they are fired consecutively, not instantly)
this is just like firing a laser in classic mode, keep the boresight on the auto-aim and you're good to go

Killjaeden
x3tc

Post by Killjaeden » Tue, 26. Jan 10, 19:05

The speed of FBL bullets is tied to the speed of your ship.
The speed of the missiles is tied to their setting. not to the ship.
So you have to stay at a certain (whatever that might be) speed to get this results.
[ external image ]
X-Tended TC Mod Team Veteran.
Modeller of X3AP Split Acinonyx, Split Drake, Argon Lotan, Teladi Tern. My current work:

killyg

Post by killyg » Tue, 26. Jan 10, 19:22

Killjaeden wrote:The speed of FBL bullets is tied to the speed of your ship.
The speed of the missiles is tied to their setting. not to the ship.
So you have to stay at a certain (whatever that might be) speed to get this results.
yes this is true, but I don't think the auto-aim compensates for the speed of your ship. It only takes into account the speed of the bullets and the speed of the enemy ship, causing FBL to miss even more often than it should when fired from >3km.

Gruber1232002
x3

Post by Gruber1232002 » Tue, 26. Jan 10, 20:06

Very sneaky. I like it. 8)

Lord Dakier
x4

Post by Lord Dakier » Tue, 26. Jan 10, 20:59

I think the FBL should have the effect of a squash mine being launched and then explode as if it was being hit by flak. That would be pretty uber awesome.

Cyricist
x3tc

Post by Cyricist » Wed, 27. Jan 10, 11:07

I think the FBL should have the effect of a squash mine being launched and then explode as if it was being hit by flak.
I think that was the intention of the weapon to begin with. If EGOsoft ever patches this, I sure hope they fix the sound effect while they're at it. Right now it just makes A LOT of decibles and does crap.
andymac wrote:Bravery is directly correlated to shield and hull capacity.
Keep your friends close, and your enemies even closer!... Except of course for Khaak... You want to stay as far away from them as possible...

juanitierno
xrvr

Post by juanitierno » Wed, 27. Jan 10, 11:51

Another problem is that the game will adjust the range settings (not sure about correction angle) for the longest range weapon equipped.

So if you have FBL on slot 1 (active) and a CIG (INactive), the reticule will start flashing when you are in CIG range, not FBL.

Im not sure which gun betty will use to compute the angle correction... this could also mess stuff up.

infohata
x4

Post by infohata » Wed, 27. Jan 10, 12:40

When in Deimos, I have 4xPSG and 4xISR in front. Switching between only ISR, only PSG, or both makes sense in all 3 ways, at least in TC. While in only ISR mode i think it calculates agnle only for ISR, only in PSG mode - for PSG. Mode for both is useless, because you really miss with ISR and PSG does not care where to fire anyway, but still, if I'm 500-700m on top(or bottom) of K or J - i don't care... i fire everything I have... EBC turrets help me too then :D~

EDIT: it's all about angles, range is calculated by most far firing weapon at all times.
Pick the Best, kick the rest...
Travel more! :)
CodeMaster

Killjaeden
x3tc

Post by Killjaeden » Wed, 27. Jan 10, 13:27

I think the FBL should have the effect of a squash mine being launched and then explode as if it was being hit by flak. That would be pretty uber awesome.
have you ever been hit by one?
75k damage... like a banshee. 1.75 km radius.
You don't want it to be like that
yes this is true, but I don't think the auto-aim compensates for the speed of your ship. It only takes into account the speed of the bullets and the speed of the enemy ship
It does.
[ external image ]
X-Tended TC Mod Team Veteran.
Modeller of X3AP Split Acinonyx, Split Drake, Argon Lotan, Teladi Tern. My current work:

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”