Did 2.5 nerf Typhoon effectiveness?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

jbigg
x3tc

Did 2.5 nerf Typhoon effectiveness?

Post by jbigg » Fri, 29. Jan 10, 14:45

Last night I had a K approaching my Hyp at about 22km. I proceeded to launch 30+ Typhoons at him. In my last game (pre 2.5) that would've pretty much wasted the K. In my attempt last night however, it only ended up inflicting about 3 to 4 percent shield damage. I'm thinking one of two things. Either they nerfed my favorite missile, or they did something to make the K's turrets more effective at missile defense. Either way, it really blows hard.

imperium3
x3tc

Post by imperium3 » Fri, 29. Jan 10, 15:07

The missile hasn't been nerfed AFAIK, as 2.5 didn't make any changes to the missiles file. I might simply have been bad luck, if maybe a whole bunch clumped together so that one shot could take them all out? Depends on the blast radius of Typhoon though.

AgamemnonArgon
x3tc

Post by AgamemnonArgon » Fri, 29. Jan 10, 15:46

Using missiles from various drops, I have recently tried various ones, above the usual, and there seem to be no changes. I own missile factories, and make Thunderbolts, which some of my ships and I use. No real issues.
Argon Patriot and Battlemaster
Peace - Through Superior Firepower

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Fri, 29. Jan 10, 15:51

Launch missiles at a capital ship heading straight at you and most if not all get through as the front guns/turrets are never set to missile defence.

Launch them so that they approach the target from up/down/rear and a bit less so for the sides, and they will get severely thinned by anti-missile turret fire (especially Flak which can take them out in bunches).

Same applies for pods.

perkint
x3tc

Post by perkint » Fri, 29. Jan 10, 20:09

I use Typhoons loads and they are still brilliant - whatever version (including v2.5) you use :)

I would have expected better results than that (and usually see better results than that) so I think you were just unlucky :(

Tim
Struggling to find something from the forums - Google it!!! :D

Bobucles
x3tc

Post by Bobucles » Fri, 29. Jan 10, 22:08

If you keep pace with the missles (an overtuned Hyp can hit 195 no problem), then it only takes one flak shot to wipe them all out.

Fly backwards, fly sideways, remain perfectly still. Don't fly with your missiles.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”