how much to really kit out an M2?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

hamsterroadkill
x3tc

how much to really kit out an M2?

Post by hamsterroadkill » Sat, 6. Feb 10, 14:56

saving up for a ray, reckon i'll need 85mil to buy it

how much will i need to spend to arm it to the teeth? :D

i am guessing another 20mil???

any loadout suggestions welcomed

perkint
x3tc

Post by perkint » Sat, 6. Feb 10, 15:02

Not checked the weapon stats so not sure what you'd be putting into a Ray, but it's easy to spend a lot more than €20M. Don't some destroyers pack 32PPC? THat's basically €32M striahgt away, ignoring shields, etc...

I would think you can budget for €40M but it does really depend on what you want to use. Kit him out fully with HEPT and he's still going to be a pretty nasty beast, OOS :D

TIm
Struggling to find something from the forums - Google it!!! :D

Geek
Moderator (Français)
Moderator (Français)
x4

Post by Geek » Sat, 6. Feb 10, 15:27

Expect about 35 millions to properly equip a Ray (24 PPC, 8 FLAK, 8 PRG, 4 2GJ shields)
Right on commander !

Bobucles
x3tc

Post by Bobucles » Sat, 6. Feb 10, 15:42

Don't skimp out on equipment for ANY ship. A barren hull may as well be worthless.

Usenko
x3

Post by Usenko » Sat, 6. Feb 10, 16:18

Quick question (playing X3R): Are the big guns (e.g. FLAK, PPC) any advantage over BHEPTs?
Morkonan wrote:What really happened isn't as exciting. Putin flexed his left thigh during his morning ride on a flying bear, right after beating fifty Judo blackbelts, which he does upon rising every morning. (Not that Putin sleeps, it's just that he doesn't want to make others feel inadequate.)

Geek
Moderator (Français)
Moderator (Français)
x4

Post by Geek » Sat, 6. Feb 10, 16:33

There is a large gap of damage/range between (G)PPC and (B)HEPT, and and a large difference of accuracy (IS) vs fighters between FLAK and HEPT.
Right on commander !

Derkylos
x3tc

Post by Derkylos » Sat, 6. Feb 10, 20:17

The problem with outfitting a destroyer isn't the cost, it's the availability. 32 PPCs is very hard to find, you'll need an extensive fleet of ships to shuttle around all the factories.

I find it easier to just set up my own production loop. Sets you up for further capitol investments, too.
Sum, ergo cogito.

NewEonOrchestra
x3tc

Post by NewEonOrchestra » Sat, 6. Feb 10, 20:34

Setting up a production loop is in itself an expensive way to get the equipment you need. By the time I had an M2, I could easily afford its equipment.

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Sat, 6. Feb 10, 20:48

I find it easier to spread the cost of M1/2 equipping by having ships who'se sole job it is to go round (under my remote control) checking the various locations where the equipment I want can be bought, and getting it when I can afford to buy a new bit.

A ~40 million hit all in one go to equip an m2 can be harsh, but if you've been collecting and storing the stuff over time it's easier. Not to mention the chances of finding enough guns all in one go without building them yourself are rather slim.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

Derkylos
x3tc

Post by Derkylos » Sat, 6. Feb 10, 22:17

NewEonOrchestra wrote:Setting up a production loop is in itself an expensive way to get the equipment you need. By the time I had an M2, I could easily afford its equipment.
Sure, you can afford it, but how often does the universe contain 40 PPCs? Not to mention 4-5 2GJ shields.

If you can afford to source the equipment, chances are, you can afford to produce it...plus, that's a one time investment, so that, when you come to buy a second destroyer, you don't have to shell out for gear again, you just make it with your already existing complex.
Sum, ergo cogito.

Dantrithor
x3tc

Post by Dantrithor » Sat, 6. Feb 10, 22:17

I recommend to begin buying the equipment BEFORE the ship, and only when you expect to hit the 150 Million credits or so in at least a couple of hours. This way you have enough tome to (at least) buy shields, front+side PPC (so you can obliterate capital ships) and FLAK/PAC/whatever you wish as anti-fighter for the rest of the ship.

That works well in standard environments, even xenon sectors. You can later build other weapons you wish after all. This way you will not end broken after the first batch of weapons.

Personal tip: Do not bother with any kind of HEPT on capital ships: Too slow to hit fighters, and FLAK does enough damage to M6. Even to capital ships, provided you go straight on and do a broadside after unloading GPPC (no point on this, unless you... do it by accident) PPC are essential to fight enemy M2/M1. Do not expect to survive a lot if you have to get under 2km of the enemy capital ship with him throwing GPPC at you. You'll be surprised how fast a capital ship dies under that punishment.

Goodfeller
x3tc

Post by Goodfeller » Sat, 6. Feb 10, 22:29

Or you could use the buy/sell/buy/sell/buy/sell exploit at the nearest EQ dock. The other day I filled 2 maxed-out freighters with PPCs. That came to about 190 total. Pretty much emptied my coffers, but at least now I've got enough to equip six M2s without the hassle of building a plex, or running around trying to find somewhere that would sell me some. Pity you can't do the same with FAAs, since there doesn't seem to be any EQs that stock them. Which means, sadly, that I'm gonna have to build a plex for the flaks.

AgamemnonArgon
x3tc

Post by AgamemnonArgon » Sat, 6. Feb 10, 22:56

Usually I wil buy weapons as I go along using various TS, before buying the M2 / M7 types.
My 4 Boreas were equipped with 32 X PPC, 4 x FLAK and I think 4 x CIG.
I have since replaced front loadout with 8 x ION Cannnons, as they give a lot of bang for your credits.
97 Million (approximate) ? for a Boreas.
28 Million (approximate) ? for 32 x PPC.
3.5 Million (approximate) ? for 4 x FLAK.
2.2 Million (approximate) ? for 4 x CIG.
Then add in the smaller costs:
Jumpdrive, Transporter Device, (Possible Missiles costs)
Maybe in the area of 130 Million Credits - approximate.
= 520 Million for my four Destroyers....
:o
Argon Patriot and Battlemaster
Peace - Through Superior Firepower

Cpt.Jericho
x3tc

Post by Cpt.Jericho » Sat, 6. Feb 10, 22:58

All I need on an M2 are max. upgrades for speed and manouverability, max. shielding, 8 PPC and 8 Flaks - the rest is generously provided by nearby Xenon forces. :D
Winner of 350 Mil class of X-Verse Fleet Fest Italiano
Boycotting Steam since 2003

hamsterroadkill
x3tc

Post by hamsterroadkill » Sun, 7. Feb 10, 20:43

well i just got my Ray, "Vishnu"

OH MY GOD :D

khaak destroyer flambe anyone?

PPCs and CFA and PRG/HEPTs all round

:twisted:

spent about 10mil doing it up plus nicking other stuff off my skirons

i LIKE it if you hadn't guessed

as you were

Spychotic
x3tc

Post by Spychotic » Sun, 7. Feb 10, 21:10

I kit out M2s by building my own complexes.

PPCs are hard to find. For the same time it takes to scrape together 24, you can build a complex that produces that many in less than a game day.

If you only want to equip one M2, then go scavenging/Xenon hunting. If you want to equip a fleet, then you need a complex.

Spike
Check out the X3 Wiki!

Struggling with a plotline? Spike's Walkthroughs are your answer!

Whether you're building your first factory or a trading empire, this station management guide was made just for you.

perkint
x3tc

Post by perkint » Sun, 7. Feb 10, 21:28

I rarely go out looking to buy cap ship equipment. I have fabs producing HEPT and PRG for when I want to equip fighters, but everything else is sourced from Xenon farming, boarding or AI (NPC or UTs) selling to the Hub.

As and when I get my hands on relevant stuff (shields from boarding, weapons from boarding or drops) I add them to the hub and put the price at average +1. Then move the goods into an Atmos Lifter docked there. Occasionally I check and see if the stock has increased. If it has, they get moved into the TL.

I have only once needed to send a ship out to find some extra FLAKs. Other than that, I've always had enough shields and weapons to equip my ship. I don't have masses of cap ships, but I have 3 M7s, 2 M1s and three M2s all kitted out this way.

And a spare 90 odd IBLs and 40+ PPC. Not sure about FLAK at the mo.

Tim
Struggling to find something from the forums - Google it!!! :D

AgamemnonArgon
x3tc

Post by AgamemnonArgon » Sun, 7. Feb 10, 22:48

I agree with the other posters.
There would seem to be three main ways to outfit a Capital.
1) Build your own - ideal for large numbers of warships.
2) Capture your own - as above
3) Scour the Galaxy - as one travels, buying useful stock items.
It will depend on the Fleet size - :
I only have 8 Destroyers, in my Fleet (I decided early on, my ship's posture was defensive in nature), so (after a recent purchase) - I now have 22 Frigates, 10 new Skirons, 8 exisiting Heavy Centaurs and 4 other Corvettes.
Very small by playing stndards, but it is slowly Pacifiying the Galaxy....
:khaak:
Argon Patriot and Battlemaster
Peace - Through Superior Firepower

garv222

Post by garv222 » Mon, 8. Feb 10, 11:00

I think it's easier to to slowly gear out an M2 by buying slowly around the universe as you explore, and note where supplies what. I have one or two ships flying around which I focus on just picking up PPC and cluster weapons. I'm relatively new to capital ship use though and I suppose one relevant thing to me is to not over-equip a ship. I tried to take on 3 Q's in a brigantine and that just ended in a massacre for me when my ship ran out of energy in the middle of the battle. Firing 28+ high powered weapons drains even a cap ships energy fast...I think balancing out your weapons load is a good idea...for a personal ship anyway.

Xander Cade
x3tc

Post by Xander Cade » Mon, 8. Feb 10, 12:13

TL + 3 Mistrals, as early as you can afford it.

Park the TL somewhere central and put the Mistrals on Best Buy. Once the Mistrals are full of your desired Heavy Shields/weaponry, use a Transporter Device (or Freight Drones? I haven't tried them yet) to put them all on the TL. Have some Falcon Haulers docked at the TL for smaller stuff. Then when you buy a new ship just send it to the TL and Transport everything you want over.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”