Flak Artillary vs Cluster Flak

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

dandog2142
x3tc

Flak Artillary vs Cluster Flak

Post by dandog2142 » Fri, 19. Feb 10, 22:00

Currently I have two of each on the up and down turrets of my Titan, but is one better than the other for taking out fighters and such? The cluster breaks apart and a splodes, but that doesn't really seem to do much for me. And the Artillary seems to go a bit faster than the Clusters, I need help X_x
[ external image ]
"Are you one of those loooosers who watches anime in English?"
"Why yes, yes I am :|"

Sovereign01
x4

Post by Sovereign01 » Fri, 19. Feb 10, 22:04

By all accounts, the CFA is bugged in the same way the FBL is, in that it doesn't go off by proximity but only at max range or a direct hit. As I've not flown any ships with the CFA yet, I've not yet seen this for myself.

Reimu Hakurei
x3tc

Post by Reimu Hakurei » Fri, 19. Feb 10, 22:17

I find the CFA a lot nicer to look at, and the slower shot actually being visible makes it much easier to judge what's going on; as far as my observations go it seems just as accurate despite this. There's also a slight pause for me when FAA fires, but that's just my slow computer I think.

Statisically as things currently are with the game, FAA is negligibly better.

Bobucles
x3tc

Post by Bobucles » Fri, 19. Feb 10, 22:25

The weapons are more or less equal. Point them at a fighter, and the fighter dies. Most capital ships will use FAA. Argon and Boron capital ships can also use CFA.

The only difference is the difficulty of finding them. The Flak Artillery Array is in higher demand, so it can be more difficult to max out a ship with it.

RandomBandit
x3tc

Post by RandomBandit » Fri, 19. Feb 10, 22:26

FAA is going to handle fighters better, but it will not hit too many at one time.

The CFA is godly against missile swarms, as it puts up a wall of explosions. Unless you have a mod that makes the AI use missiles more often, or you have M7Ms on your case all the time, the anti-missile awesomeness is not really as important as the FAA's fighter swatting awesomeness. The CFA tends to miss fighters often. Because of the larger coverage you will likely get SOME hits, but not as often as the FAA.

I mostly use CFA (usually in pairs) cause I like how it looks, heh.
<X3tc 2.0> patched up to 3.1 (No BonusPack)
<X3ap>
I do not use scripts/mods.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Fri, 19. Feb 10, 22:33

The CFA was supposedly fixed in the last patch, so that shouldn't be an issue any more.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

jimlpearce

Post by jimlpearce » Fri, 19. Feb 10, 22:39

well post 2.5 in my experience cluster flak is better than normal... so I guess the fix works.

I actually thought I saw an FBL kill something the other day! Am I going mad?
"You win again gravity"

Sovereign01
x4

Post by Sovereign01 » Fri, 19. Feb 10, 22:41

jimlpearce wrote:well post 2.5 in my experience cluster flak is better than normal... so I guess the fix works.

I actually thought I saw an FBL kill something the other day! Am I going mad?
Better tell Tenlar then :lol:

Do you know what it was?

Reimu Hakurei
x3tc

Post by Reimu Hakurei » Sat, 20. Feb 10, 00:33

Bobucles wrote:Argon and Boron capital ships can also use CFA.
Xenon, Pirates and Yaki are also mighty fond of it. Seems to be the case that if an NPC ship is capable of mounting both, it'll go for CFA.
Nanook wrote:The CFA was supposedly fixed in the last patch, so that shouldn't be an issue any more.
It does work now, yes, but like the FBL there isn't a great much use that can be made from the submunition effect.

AgamemnonArgon
x3tc

Post by AgamemnonArgon » Sat, 20. Feb 10, 01:11

CFA is quite good, but right now I have a lot that I cannot use, as have sold my Cerberus FLAK frigates. I need more FAA -:
FAA is in use on my Hoshi (20 Units), Four Tigers (40 Units), 4 Boreas (32 Units), 20 Shrikes (80 Units), Two Panthers (12 Units).
CFA has given my no trouble.
But I need more Flak Artillery Arrays....
Argon Patriot and Battlemaster
Peace - Through Superior Firepower

Tenlar Scarflame
xr

Post by Tenlar Scarflame » Sat, 20. Feb 10, 05:34

jimlpearce wrote:I actually thought I saw an FBL kill something the other day! Am I going mad?
Lies! :D

@ Flak array differences. The FAA is certainly a more reliable gun, if you're going to just allow it to slug away without worrying about it. If you like to babysit your turret fire, though, you can have great success with CFA's. I live for those moments when you consume a whole squadron of light fighters in a single sweeping burst of fire... :D it's all in the timing.
My music - Von Neumann's Children - Lasers and Tactics

I'm on Twitch! 21:15 EST Sundays. Come watch me die a lot.

garv222

Post by garv222 » Sat, 20. Feb 10, 07:50

I've seen CFA shred large squadrons in seconds. I personally find it works better the more targets there are. CAA is a lot more precise though. It may take a few shots with CFA to nail a single target. I use Version 2.5

Xander Cade
x3tc

Post by Xander Cade » Sat, 20. Feb 10, 08:05

I use CFA where I can simply because I like to imagine the enemy comm's chatter - "We're getting cluster flak'd out here!"
"What he doesn't understand is that the Welsh are a subject people, put on Earth to do menial tasks for the English." - John Cleese

AgamemnonArgon
x3tc

Post by AgamemnonArgon » Sun, 21. Feb 10, 20:26

I plan to use as much of any type of FLAK artillery that I can get. I have to park ships at stations. Have now changed all of my Boreas to CFA, leaving the rest of the FAA for the other types of ship. FLAK of any type, is like gold dust in my game universe. Plus the GoD AI seems to be removing factories....
:o
Argon Patriot and Battlemaster
Peace - Through Superior Firepower

Sovereign01
x4

Post by Sovereign01 » Sun, 21. Feb 10, 21:47

AgamemnonArgon wrote:I plan to use as much of any type of FLAK artillery that I can get. I have to park ships at stations. Have now changed all of my Boreas to CFA, leaving the rest of the FAA for the other types of ship. FLAK of any type, is like gold dust in my game universe. Plus the GoD AI seems to be removing factories....
:o
Where my ships can equip both, I'll load them as such and let MARS decide which to equip in what turret :D

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”