[X3TC] Mouse issue - strange behaviour

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Terran Conflict, X³: Albion Prelude or X³: Farnham's Legacy.

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

zeddius
x3tc

[X3TC] Mouse issue - strange behaviour

Post by zeddius » Sat, 20. Feb 10, 21:56

This post should prolly go in tech support, but since i cant reg my game (bought it on steam and no idea what the game reg code is...)...anyways

Using a G5 mouse, and noticed some strange behaviour in game. I am using the classic flight mode btw.

thing is, when i just do small movements with the mouse the actual in-game movement is quite large, so its hard to aim accurately since the ship moves all over...However, if i move the mouse quickly, as in a snap move, the craft (cross hair) barely moves. If i move the mouse quickly and continue to move it (not snap) the cross hair will lag abit, then start to move faster and faster. (almost like an inverted pointer accelerator).

This makes playing with a mouse very hard, and was hoping someone had any idea what might be causing this.

zeddius
x3tc

Post by zeddius » Sat, 20. Feb 10, 22:04

Or to describe it differently,

its like moving the mouse very slowly for 2 seconds will move the cross hair just as much as if you move the mouse very fast for 2 seconds.....

NUKLEAR-SLUG
x3tc

Post by NUKLEAR-SLUG » Sat, 20. Feb 10, 23:14

Turn off mouse acceleration.

zeddius
x3tc

Post by zeddius » Sat, 20. Feb 10, 23:25

NUKLEAR-SLUG wrote:Turn off mouse acceleration.
You should read the OP more closly.....

With slow mouse movement ingame movement is large,
with fast mouse movement ingame movement is small....

That is the opposite effect of mouse acceleration....

TTD
x4

Post by TTD » Sat, 20. Feb 10, 23:39

to register Steam

From the stickies
All versions of X³: Terran Conflict come with a registration code, including versions downloaded from providers such as Steam. For the European DVD version of the game, the registration code can be found on the back of the manual. For the Steam version of the game, the registration code is obtained by right-clicking on the game in the Steam client and choosing the "Register your game..." option. For other disk and download versions the provider or publisher should provide a similar way to one of the above to obtain the code.

Your registration code should be entered into your ForumProfile. Note that registration does not require you to provide any personal details, and the only information that it provides to Egosoft is the version of the game that you have bought.
Not used Steam version ,but I hope this helps you.

NUKLEAR-SLUG
x3tc

Post by NUKLEAR-SLUG » Sun, 21. Feb 10, 10:40

zeddius wrote:
NUKLEAR-SLUG wrote:Turn off mouse acceleration.
You should read the OP more closly.....

With slow mouse movement ingame movement is large,
with fast mouse movement ingame movement is small....

That is the opposite effect of mouse acceleration....
Which is entirely irrelevant. You're the one making the observation that it appears acceleration related therefore turn off any acceleration features and see if that has an effect.

Being as your using a G5 I presume you're using the Setpoint software so shutting that down so it doesn't conflict with anything windows is trying may be the easiest test.

esd
x3tc

Re: [X3TC] Mouse issue - strange behaviour

Post by esd » Sun, 21. Feb 10, 13:12

zeddius wrote:This post should prolly go in tech support, but since i cant reg my game
As you've sorted that, moved :)

Does this issue happen with a bog-standard mouse, or is it just your G5? If the latter, I'd be looking at my mouse profile settings, etc.
esd's Guides: X² Loops - X³ MORTs

zeddius
x3tc

Post by zeddius » Sun, 21. Feb 10, 22:01

Happens with a standard mouse aswell.

Seems like its just the way it is implemented in this game and i just have to get used to it......

TTD
x4

Post by TTD » Sun, 21. Feb 10, 22:25

I do not use "fly-by-mouse" nor use the mouse for aiming.

I use it primarily for menus.

So I have not had the experience outlined above.

used on OS from XP through to W7.

I suspect there is a setting you have to alter,but which one? :?

shakyamuni
x3tc

Post by shakyamuni » Wed, 24. Feb 10, 13:51

I'm using the G5 without a problem. To be honest I don't have the setpoint software installed, although I did when I was running in XP, either way it has been fine.

Do you notice any input lag or weirdness if you try moving with the arrow keys on the keyboard? Also an obvious one but have you played around with the in-game sensitivity settings?

shakyamuni
x3tc

Post by shakyamuni » Wed, 24. Feb 10, 14:00

Hey, so I just tried out what you are talking about.

If you flick your wrist while using the classic flight mode, the ship hardly turns, but if you drag the mouse steadily, the ship will turn depending on how fast you are dragging/moving the mouse up to a point.

I think this is just the way ships respond in X3 compared to some of the more twitchy space sims that have been around like Freespace or the old TIE Fighter.

To be honest I think it has to do with modelling each ship's turning circle and responsiveness. Flicking using the new mouse aiming it works fine in moving the cross hair from one side of the screen to the other ASAP though. If they turned extra fast if you flicked the mouse using classic flight mode it would throw out the flight model imho.

reddaggerz
x3tc

Post by reddaggerz » Wed, 24. Feb 10, 15:26

Actually, i'd say thats how my mouse reacted when I had my graphics settings all the way up and I was experiencing input lag. See, if you move the mouse too fast, it doesnt recieve much input & if you move it deliberately and slowly the ship makes long, hard to control motions.

esd
x3tc

Post by esd » Wed, 24. Feb 10, 15:28

What version are you running? There were mouse issues in previous versions that were actually caused by the FPS being too high!
esd's Guides: X² Loops - X³ MORTs

TTD
x4

Post by TTD » Wed, 24. Feb 10, 15:31

Ah, yeah. Try putting graphics for the game ,above the "start game" menu,at Medium or Low .
There are some other settings like screen resolution that makes a big difference too. I play at Medium,most of the time ,and lowest resolution in Window mode.
Last edited by TTD on Wed, 24. Feb 10, 15:43, edited 1 time in total.

zeddius
x3tc

Post by zeddius » Wed, 24. Feb 10, 15:41

esd wrote:What version are you running? There were mouse issues in previous versions that were actually caused by the FPS being too high!
Game version 2.5

running the game at 1920*1200 with everything at max.

FPS is around 70-100 depending on sector, FOV etc etc.

reddaggerz
x3tc

Post by reddaggerz » Wed, 24. Feb 10, 15:51

I'd still give tuning down the graphics a try, I didnt appear to be suffering actual video lag, it seemed to be running it smoothly just the input.

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude / Farnham's Legacy - Technical Support”