X3R first time using PBE?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

mystikmind2005
x2

X3R first time using PBE?

Post by mystikmind2005 » Thu, 25. Feb 10, 08:03

I equiped a Split Raptor with Beta PBE's just as an experiment....

In my head i was imagining it would be similar in effect as lazers, that would be cool i thought.....

I wanted to see if i could keep it in sector while doing an XI mission.....

So i attacked some pirates and lured them over to the Raptor.... nothing happened? Hmmm, well for a second i thought i heard a new weapon sound, after one of the pirates flew so close to the Raptor it nearly collided with it and then seemed to be unable to recharge its shields?

Ok so i have the Raptor set on patrol single sector - check

All turrets set to attack all enemies - check

PBE's are actually equipped in the turret slots - check

Anyway, just thought it would be cool to have the Raptor stay in sector while i do XI mission and blast Xenon with bright lazer beams and avoid freindly fire which is what it's going to do with any other type of weapon i can equip it with, but apparantly not? sigh.
What intriguing weapons and shields will you use to protect your trade ships and sectors from the Khaak when your not home? unless you can afford capital ships *and luck* its all for nothing, NOTHING! Mwaahhhhahaha
*(amendment for TC since all the good strategy and planning is no longer enough, you also need luck)*

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Thu, 25. Feb 10, 08:26

The range of PBE is very short. Most targets turn away out of range due to the collision sphere of large ship. PBE is efficient only at removing shielding.

Tell the Raptor to do "None". Turrets still work IS. Big ships do not know how to move anyway.

Or change the missile firing probability to 100%. Raptor has no guns, so when it would shoot, it better have a weapon. Naturally, loading Firestorms into it is not a good thing.

(Beta) FAA. Not as friendly as PBE, but does kill.

mystikmind2005
x2

Post by mystikmind2005 » Thu, 25. Feb 10, 08:51

jlehtone wrote:The range of PBE is very short. Most targets turn away out of range due to the collision sphere of large ship. PBE is efficient only at removing shielding.

Tell the Raptor to do "None". Turrets still work IS. Big ships do not know how to move anyway.

Or change the missile firing probability to 100%. Raptor has no guns, so when it would shoot, it better have a weapon. Naturally, loading Firestorms into it is not a good thing.

(Beta) FAA. Not as friendly as PBE, but does kill.
Thanks for that, i think i will just have to stick with Gamma PPC's and keep it OOS.

Freindly fire is just too greedy in X3R, probing eagerly for the slightest opportunity to strike where any kind of IS combat with AI controlled player ships occurs anywhare in the entire X universe exept in Khaak sectors and non interconnecting Xenon sectors. I wish freindly fire wasn't such a big issue in the game but thats just the way it is.

Edit: i just remembered a trick i used to use with Capital ships in X2... i would equip their front turrets with Beta HEPT's, that way, if the ship makes an attack run while i'm in sector, the first weapons to fire will be less long ranged, much less likely to pount NPC assets behind the enemy ships while i jump out!
What intriguing weapons and shields will you use to protect your trade ships and sectors from the Khaak when your not home? unless you can afford capital ships *and luck* its all for nothing, NOTHING! Mwaahhhhahaha
*(amendment for TC since all the good strategy and planning is no longer enough, you also need luck)*

Buck_Rogers
x3

Post by Buck_Rogers » Thu, 25. Feb 10, 11:35

I just tried out the PBE myself recently. I was expecting a laser type effect like the Kyons. Was dissapointed in the end. Just fires like the rest, only I think it's bright blue coloured?
Buck Rogers

Vice Admiral of Shadows Haven Alliance (SHA) visit us at:
SHA Forum
Feel free to join my DID
Too often we lose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown. But only 4 to extend your arm and slap the bugger!

Geek
Moderator (Français)
Moderator (Français)
x4

Post by Geek » Thu, 25. Feb 10, 13:30

PBE are not beams but they still have an insane speed ; nothing can avoid PBE fire (it is yellow IMO) once in range.
Last edited by Geek on Thu, 25. Feb 10, 15:28, edited 1 time in total.
Right on commander !

Kryten
x4

Post by Kryten » Thu, 25. Feb 10, 13:52

They also don't do great hull damage, but they're very good for capping ships. Its the only time I use them.
X2 Vet
X3 Recruit
[ external image ]
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast

OniGanon

Post by OniGanon » Thu, 25. Feb 10, 18:30

Their ability to strip shields is insane (like X2 IonD insane), and once the shields are gone it's all over anyway.

I used to fly around in an LX equipped with PBEs everywhere. Anything M6 or less was toast. Hell I even tried for a Xenon K a few times and would do fairly well until my awesome flying skills inevitably had me crashing into its hull. :oops:

But yes. Not a capital weapon.

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Thu, 25. Feb 10, 18:39

Oh, PBE can be very good "capital" weapons but only with a turret script that switches dynamically - like the AI cap ships do it.

Less so in Reunion, though. A lot of capital ships have less than ideally positioned or just plain misaligned turrets / cameras, leading to short range lasers being worse than they ought to be.
My complete script download page. . . . . . I AM THE LAW!
There is no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

mystikmind2005
x2

Post by mystikmind2005 » Thu, 25. Feb 10, 22:12

Thanks for all the posts,

Found out this morning i cannot equip the front turret in a Raptor with B HEPT's! I'm at work now so i will have to see what i can use later on.

Speaking of B HEPT's..... i typically pilot my Hyperion with all Pandoora upgrades and although i have the option of using B HEPT's in my forward guns, i just never liked the feel of them and much prefer using A HEPT's?

I suppose since i have always piloted M3's before the Hyperion, i had gotten used to A HEPT's, then when i tried B HEPT's in the Hyperion, i found it quite difficult to hit anything, so i switched back. Now the Hyperion with A HEPT's can chew through fighters and capital ships alike quite easily, so i haven't had any real reason to try and stick with using B HEPTS?

mystikmind2005
x2

Post by mystikmind2005 » Fri, 26. Feb 10, 03:59

I downloaded a weapon stats sheet from the sticky.... looks like the CIG would be the perfect weapon for a Capital ship IS!

But i don't have many, i cannot buy them, usually get one dropped during assassination missions.... whish i had paid attention, otherwise i would have collected allot more!! Usually i don't bother picking up after assassination missions once i am financially comfortable.

Now to go and download a ships stats chart and see who can equip them?

Edit: Oh dear, the Split Raptor can equip CIG's..... i have 3 and how long will it take me to gather another 17 do you think??? Oh well, gotta be easier than equipping the M1 with military personnel!!

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”