System override software

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

T.Thompson
x3tc

System override software

Post by T.Thompson » Thu, 25. Feb 10, 17:48

No matter where I am, how close I get, what I'm flyin, or what I try to claim, the software doesn't work. Even ejecting to claim isn't working.

Stressin out over this cause I'm lookin at a treasure trove of empty ships in the Bala Gi mission.

Maybe there is a script or somethin to fix this issue?

Deadbeat_Spinn
x3tc

Post by Deadbeat_Spinn » Thu, 25. Feb 10, 17:52

How close are you to the ships (both in ship and in spacesuit)?

T.Thompson
x3tc

Post by T.Thompson » Thu, 25. Feb 10, 18:02

Tried everything from 1km-25m. Even tried multiple angles.

Carlo the Curious
x4

Post by Carlo the Curious » Thu, 25. Feb 10, 18:03

Are you trying to claim one of the ships that isn't actually abandoned?

T.Thompson
x3tc

Post by T.Thompson » Thu, 25. Feb 10, 18:05

No. Checked them out and only goin for abandonded ships.

OniGanon

Post by OniGanon » Thu, 25. Feb 10, 18:40

Does the normal claiming work?

Kryten
x4

Post by Kryten » Thu, 25. Feb 10, 18:52

My guess is that you'r not getting close enough or you'r in the middle of a certain mission and those ships have pilots waiting to pounce.

The software just lets you stay in the ship, the distance remains the same so you need to get extremely close.
X2 Vet
X3 Recruit
[ external image ]
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast

Deadbeat_Spinn
x3tc

Post by Deadbeat_Spinn » Thu, 25. Feb 10, 19:47

T.Thompson wrote:Tried everything from 1km-25m. Even tried multiple angles.
Though it depends on the ship that you're in:
If it's a fighter that you're in you need to be around 100m (give or take) If in a spacesuit, around 30m
M6 or bigger, less than 1km (IIRC), though the distance increases at the class of ship increases.

Perhaps a screenie may be of help.

mystikmind2005
x2

Post by mystikmind2005 » Thu, 25. Feb 10, 22:25

Well i know system overide software is useless when your in the Hyperion.... you have to get so close, and the Hyperion is quite large.... the claimable ship goes 'boom'

In Bala Gi, i found it a bit difficult to tell which ships can be claimed and which ones cannot.... you just have to try them all.

When claiming a ship, aim your spacesuit to fly right past it, but close enough as if you wanted to spray graffiti on it as you passed by! As you get close, watch your target picture box, when you see your spacesuit flash into the picture box, that is when you are close enough to claim the ship.

Tip: if you can dock a ship in the craft you are flying, you can transfer the system override software to it and any police scans will not detect it!
What intriguing weapons and shields will you use to protect your trade ships and sectors from the Khaak when your not home? unless you can afford capital ships *and luck* its all for nothing, NOTHING! Mwaahhhhahaha
*(amendment for TC since all the good strategy and planning is no longer enough, you also need luck)*

T.Thompson
x3tc

Post by T.Thompson » Fri, 26. Feb 10, 02:53

In a Teladi M6. Originally tried the free nova in the 2nd unknown sector west of Maelstrom. Accidentally bumped it and the damn thing turned enemy and fired on me. Had to take out.

Supposed to tow the Hyperion at this point, but, would like the other ships too. ($$$).

Maybe I'll try a smaller craft for claiming.

mystikmind2005
x2

Post by mystikmind2005 » Fri, 26. Feb 10, 03:24

T.Thompson wrote:In a Teladi M6. Originally tried the free nova in the 2nd unknown sector west of Maelstrom. Accidentally bumped it and the damn thing turned enemy and fired on me. Had to take out.
Empty ships will never turn hostile because nobody owns them and you cannot become hostile to a race that doesn't exist! also they have no pilot! Unless it is deliberately 'tricked up' by the devs?
T.Thompson wrote: Supposed to tow the Hyperion at this point, but, would like the other ships too. ($$$).

Maybe I'll try a smaller craft for claiming.
I claimed all the smaller craft first, but that was a mistake, because they are very slow and when your busy towing the Hyperion, they are very vulnerable. I have heard you can get the empty m6 repaired for free somehow, but it didn't work for me in my game.... there is some trick to the timing of it that people seem to forget to explain properly?
What intriguing weapons and shields will you use to protect your trade ships and sectors from the Khaak when your not home? unless you can afford capital ships *and luck* its all for nothing, NOTHING! Mwaahhhhahaha
*(amendment for TC since all the good strategy and planning is no longer enough, you also need luck)*

T.Thompson
x3tc

Post by T.Thompson » Fri, 26. Feb 10, 04:12

Never had it happen before. But, I'm tellin ya the damn thing was unoccupied when I approached. Then, suddenly turned on me. Shocked the hell out of me.

Had my back to it tryin for a better position when I bumped it. Couldn't figure out where the blasts were comin from. When I turned back around, it was showing as hostile. So, I opened fire.

mystikmind2005
x2

Post by mystikmind2005 » Fri, 26. Feb 10, 04:33

T.Thompson wrote:Never had it happen before. But, I'm tellin ya the damn thing was unoccupied when I approached. Then, suddenly turned on me. Shocked the hell out of me.

Had my back to it tryin for a better position when I bumped it. Couldn't figure out where the blasts were comin from. When I turned back around, it was showing as hostile. So, I opened fire.
I can tell you this much, if it isn't a special 'trick' set up for that ship, then it must be connected with the other empty ships for the Bala Gi mission.... If you didn't claim it, it must be set to turn hostile as part of the Bala Gi mission. Also the defense mechanism stopping players from destroying the ships they know will turn hostile, must be also active on that ship.

T.Thompson
x3tc

Post by T.Thompson » Fri, 26. Feb 10, 06:03

Just got my ass handed to me tryin to tow the Hyperion. gonna try again now. Bringin Eclipse Squadron Alpha with me.

"Tell him I'm comin! And hell's comin with me!"

Maliex
x3tc

Post by Maliex » Wed, 3. Mar 10, 20:40

I heard somewhere System Override Software could give me access to boarded ships on a carrier, is this right? How could I manage it?
deleted account

Carlo the Curious
x4

Post by Carlo the Curious » Wed, 3. Mar 10, 20:44

Maliex wrote:I heard somewhere System Override Software could give me access to boarded ships on a carrier, is this right? How could I manage it?
That was a feature in some versions of TC, which has since been fixed (I think).

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Thu, 4. Mar 10, 01:48

If I recall correctly, to use the System Override Software, you have to be within 35m of the target ship. And without exiting your ship.

There are several ships near the Hyperion, and those that are fully shielded and repaired also have pilots, so they'll wake up when you start towing.

Personally I jumped in with a carrier, claimed the damaged ones and landed them on the carrier, then jumped it out, and used the M2 I was flying to vaporize the other ships before I started towing the Hyperion.

Oh, and if it had to be 'fixed', it's a bug, not a feature. :P

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Thu, 4. Mar 10, 02:46

Triaxx2 wrote:If I recall correctly, to use the System Override Software, you have to be within 35m of the target ship. And without exiting your ship....
Just to clarify, the System Override Software is used exactly the same for claiming ships as when you do it in your spacesuit. The only advantage to the SOS is you don't have to exit your ship. There is no other that I'm aware of. And with the steep price tag and the bit about it being illegal, it's really a waste of money, IMO.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Thu, 4. Mar 10, 08:14

mystikmind2005 wrote:Well i know system overide software is useless when your in the Hyperion.... you have to get so close, and the Hyperion is quite large.... the claimable ship goes 'boom'
No it won't. I've recovered Kha'ak fighters with Hyperion and SOS from Unknown Enemy Sectors. In that environment the "price of minor convenience" does not feel like waste.

SSS (Software Signature Scrambler) hides SOS from police scanner. SSS is available via Pirate BBS. [Edit: ... in X3R]
Last edited by jlehtone on Thu, 4. Mar 10, 19:54, edited 1 time in total.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Thu, 4. Mar 10, 19:10

jlehtone wrote:... In that environment the "price of minor convenience" does not feel like waste....
Unfortunately, in TC, it's a lot more difficult to obtain the SSS than simply finding it in a random BBS post on a pirate base. I have yet, in any TC game, to get on good terms with 'The Duke'. And without the SSS, unless you're playing a pirate and don't care, you'll be constantly losing either the SOS or race rep, or both. IMO, a minor convenience isn't really worth the cost.

That said, I did use it extensively in Reunion once I got the SSS to go with it. :)
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”