[TC] Overtuned Hyperion

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

jwigeland
x3tc

Overtuned Hyperion

Post by jwigeland » Sat, 27. Feb 10, 00:21

I just thought I'd post this for people who are interested in completing the Poisoned Paranid start for an overtuned Hyperion. Once I'd accumulated enough money to afford the treatment, I docked at the Boron station and saved my game. I then spent nearly three hours - pay money, get ship, look at speed, load game. Rinse, repeat.

Each time you pay the equipment generated for your ship is random, including the number of engine tunings the ship has. Normally, a Hyperion can take 15 engine tunings for a max speed of 169.1. However, the best I was able to do was 25 tunings for a max speed of 236.7. Here are the statistics, displayed as Engine Tunings / Speed / number of times this configuration showed up.

12 / 148.8 / 30
13 / 155.5 / 21
14 / 162.3 / 23
15 / 169.1 / 19
16 / 175.8 / 22
17 / 182.6 / 12
18 / 189.4 / 14
19 / 196.1 / 7
20 / 202.9 / 6
21 / 209.7 / 8
22 / 216.4 / 2
23 / 223.2 / 1
24 / 230.0 / 0
25 / 236.7 / 1
Total reloads: 166

When I got the 236.7 I stopped as that should be fast enough for me. Just thought I'd post this so people would know what they're up against. Note that the acceleration is also overtuned in direct relation to top speed, but the rudder is somewhat random. It is possible to get an overtuned rudder, but the top speed was more interesting to me so I ignored the rudder tunings. My 236.7 had a rudder that was less than the normal max so I had to buy one more rudder tuning.
Last edited by jwigeland on Sat, 27. Feb 10, 01:11, edited 1 time in total.

Deadbeat_Spinn
x3tc

Post by Deadbeat_Spinn » Sat, 27. Feb 10, 00:25

So mine has.....22 engine tunings in it. Works for me.
23 / 232.2 / 1
24 / 230.0 / 0
How does the speed decrease with an additional engine tuning?

rmpow
x4

Post by rmpow » Sat, 27. Feb 10, 01:02

Poisoned Paranid start for another ship? Played it in X3R, is there something xtra in TC?

{Edited to remove totally unnecessary and excessive number of blank lines. Please refrain from making such posts in the future. It's bad forum manners. - Nanook }
What do you get if you listen to suggestions by players of Rebirth? Walking around stations in a space sim!

jwigeland
x3tc

Post by jwigeland » Sat, 27. Feb 10, 01:12

Doops! Typo... edited original post to correct. Thanks!

Catra

Post by Catra » Sat, 27. Feb 10, 03:51

*is disappointed at RMs lack of hidden ASCII picture in unnecessary long post*

anyway, @RM, very first sentence in the OP:
an overtuned Hyperion

Kryten
x4

Post by Kryten » Sat, 27. Feb 10, 06:58

Just got mine, with 23 engine tunnings, 223.2 m/s, I did notice that sometimes you get odd cargo like polarized hull plating, as if anyones going to try and board me :lol:

Also once I finished the quest half the paranid race still hates me and some of their stations are red, and never once did I engage any in combat once I'd escped parinid space.

I now find myself having to constantly con paranid ships and tell them weapons fire was an accident. Anyone else find this, seems like a bug to me as there's paranids in nearly ever sector I need to contact, gonna take a while and some of them just won't listen.

Anyways, I liked this start, made me work very hard to meet the deadline, took me forever to get the credits for a kestrel just so I could take scanning asteroid missions to work on my rep.
X2 Vet
X3 Recruit
[ external image ]
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast

zyriel
x4

Post by zyriel » Sat, 27. Feb 10, 08:14

Kryten wrote:Just got mine, with 23 engine tunnings, 223.2 m/s, I did notice that sometimes you get odd cargo like polarized hull plating, as if anyones going to try and board me :lol:

Also once I finished the quest half the paranid race still hates me and some of their stations are red, and never once did I engage any in combat once I'd escped parinid space.

I now find myself having to constantly con paranid ships and tell them weapons fire was an accident. Anyone else find this, seems like a bug to me as there's paranids in nearly ever sector I need to contact, gonna take a while and some of them just won't listen.

Anyways, I liked this start, made me work very hard to meet the deadline, took me forever to get the credits for a kestrel just so I could take scanning asteroid missions to work on my rep.
some paranids can stay red if you fly through core sectors before the mission is finished
they usually say "leave core sectors...bla bla" and "you have 1 minute to comply" < though their messages can get overlapped with entering system voice so you dont notice it

scanning asteroids is not probably the best idea
without combat the bartering can be really fast way to cash

darkzaion
x2

Post by darkzaion » Sat, 27. Feb 10, 17:47

yes i also got the same results, 223+ is rare
where 236 is extermely rare it toke 6 hrs for me to get only once.

jwigeland
x3tc

Post by jwigeland » Tue, 9. Mar 10, 17:05

In my first try at PP, I ejected fighter drones on my way out of Trinity Sanctum. I think they got one of the M5s that was tailing me in my stupid boat of a ship... GRRR

When I was cured, some ships and stations were still hostile, even though I'd done missions for the Paranid to get my rep up ahead of time.

This time, I was lucky in that the local cops were on the other side of the sector so I didn't have to eject the drones. I was careful not to shoot anything Paranid. Once I was cured, ALL Paranid were friendly with me.

Not really a bug, just something to note.

Kodiak88
x3tc

Post by Kodiak88 » Tue, 9. Mar 10, 17:49

I know that this is a bit of a stretch, but instead of wasting 6+ hours of your playing time (not to mention your life) reloading your game save over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over ad nauseum, why don't you just install the cheat script and give yourself 23 (or however many) engine tunings, subtract an extra lump sum of cash from your pocket to make up for the lack of asinine time management, and pat yourself on the back?

If you're saving/reloading for a better result then you're abusing the system like a cheap prom date anyway (imo), so where's the extra harm in it?

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Tue, 9. Mar 10, 20:32

Learning about the vanilla. Just scripting won't give you those statistics. Then again, the reward routine might be part of Mission Director code, so there could be easier ways to test similar piece of code ...

jwigeland
x3tc

Post by jwigeland » Tue, 9. Mar 10, 22:24

LOL well, I guess it's up to each player what they feel is "cheating" in this case...

I tried the cheat package and scripted myself an overtuned Titan (that was fun), but it really took the oomph out of the game for me... same thing happened the first time I discovered Nividium mining - I had a billion before I even had rep to buy my first capital...

But am I exploiting the system by reloading ad nauseum to get just the right Hyperion? Sure! Just like using salvage insurance to make better outcomes from boarding (stupid #deca). But since it took me several hours to get my good one I feel I paid my dues. LOL And yes, I used Nividium to fund my cure, but immediately scooped up the satelite from KE and vowed never to touch the stuff again.

Actually, the purpose of my post was just to let players know what to expect so they can make a better decision as to whether scripting is for them. Truth be told, the only way I could STAND all that reloading was to make a statistics experiment out of it. That's how goofy I am...

LeSash
x4

Re: Overtuned Hyperion

Post by LeSash » Tue, 9. Mar 10, 22:37

Kodiak88 wrote:I know that this is a bit of a stretch, but instead of wasting 6+ hours of your playing time (not to mention your life) reloading your game save over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over ad nauseum, why don't you just install the cheat script and give yourself 23 (or however many) engine tunings, subtract an extra lump sum of cash from your pocket to make up for the lack of asinine time management, and pat yourself on the back?
I think it's a great idea that the amount of engine upgrades is random, it adds to the immersion of the game. I might reload a couple of times to see if I can get a bit of a better deal, but I wouldn't spend hours on it.

Having said that, it seems to me that the OP was conducting an empirical experiment to see what is possible. This is helpful to the community and greatly appreciated. :)
jwigeland wrote:12 / 148.8 / 30
13 / 155.5 / 21
14 / 162.3 / 23
15 / 169.1 / 19
[rant] Having said that, it seems to me that its a bit of a cop out that you can get an "undertuned" HV as a reward for the mission. After three or four days of game time one is generally in the position to board an HV anyway. Of course, some people are not into boarding and this is the only way to get an Hyperion, but i feel that it should nevertheless be overtuned every time (at least at 16 enginge tunings). [/rant] :)

EDIT: Damn my slow typing skills...:evil: re experiment: what jwigeland said :wink:
Last edited by LeSash on Tue, 9. Mar 10, 22:40, edited 1 time in total.

jwigeland
x3tc

Post by jwigeland » Tue, 9. Mar 10, 22:39

LOL - thanks for reminding me.

The OTHER reason I did this was to let new players know that they don't have to settle for an under-tuned Hyperion should they get one the first time around. The odds are pretty good for getting an overtuned one with a few reloads. :wink:

Bobucles
x3tc

Post by Bobucles » Tue, 9. Mar 10, 23:07

LeSash wrote:The random element adds immersion to the game
LeSash wrote:I'm going to reload a few times to get the number I want
I don't see how these two statements fit together. :roll:

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Tue, 9. Mar 10, 23:14

LeSash wrote:....
[rant] Having said that, it seems to me that its a bit of a cop out that you can get an "undertuned" HV as a reward for the mission. After three or four days of game time one is generally in the position to board an HV anyway. Of course, some people are not into boarding and this is the only way to get an Hyperion, but i feel that it should nevertheless be overtuned every time (at least at 16 enginge tunings). [/rant] ....
Check the other free ship you get along with the Hyperion. Oftentimes, it gets overtuned as well, plus some other free goodies installed. I think the RNG gives approximately the same value of items each time. It's just that most players really only want a fast Hyperion and don't care about the other rewards. :wink:
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

LeSash
x4

Post by LeSash » Tue, 9. Mar 10, 23:41

Bobucles wrote:
LeSash wrote:The random element adds immersion to the game
LeSash wrote:I'm going to reload a few times to get the number I want
I don't see how these two statements fit together. :roll:
Point taken.
Of course, there is not just the choice of "Immersion ON" and "Immersion OFF". :P

I just like to strike the balance between playing as immersively as possible while still having the opportunity to reload if I feel like I deserve a little better for just having spend weeks of my time. :wink:
Nanook wrote:Check the other free ship you get along with the Hyperion. Oftentimes, it gets overtuned as well, plus some other free goodies installed. I think the RNG gives approximately the same value of items each time. It's just that most players really only want a fast Hyperion and don't care about the other rewards. :wink:
Fair enough :wink:

jwigeland
x3tc

Post by jwigeland » Wed, 10. Mar 10, 01:33

Nanook wrote:Check the other free ship you get along with the Hyperion. Oftentimes, it gets overtuned as well, plus some other free goodies installed. I think the RNG gives approximately the same value of items each time. It's just that most players really only want a fast Hyperion and don't care about the other rewards. :wink:
True. I noticed that the shields and weapons of both ships tended to be better with a lower top speed on the Hyperion (more high-level marines, for example), but as you said I was only interested in a zippy HV. :D

ogamerdg
x3tc

Post by ogamerdg » Wed, 10. Mar 10, 05:46

I only got mine to 202.9 and quit after 20 mins but also noticed that when my hyperian got a crappy speed the other ship got the speed boost instead. (forget what it was called advanced something)
You can't have SLAUGHTER without LAUGHTER!!!

ArboriusCZ
x3tc

Post by ArboriusCZ » Tue, 20. Apr 10, 19:43

5-6 hrs ... 243 m/s

[ external image ]
"Hope Dies Last, But It Dies..."

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”