[TC] PBG? What'the'heck?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

necxelos

PBG? What'the'heck?

Post by necxelos » Sat, 6. Mar 10, 20:20

Well I bought few of this just for fun... Looking at it's stats I never expected a good weapon (x<1000 shield damage x<500 hull damage) but fun is fun... So I equipped them on my favorite Eclipse... And what? 4 of them are able to shoot down with 2 shots even the best shielded enemy fighters... What the hell???

Energy Bolt Chaingun which according to stats is FASTER (both in case of bullets/second and speed in which it reaches the target) have radically BETTER DAMAGE (nearly 10k of shield damage and around 1,5k hull damage) and with 4 of them it takes some decent time to kill something... Again: What the hell???

Does the stats even carry true information or it's another LIE thing in game encyclopedia?? Or maybe I miss something?

Laden Swallow
x3tc

Post by Laden Swallow » Sat, 6. Mar 10, 20:23

PBGs have an area of effect, as such the damage is applied to each hit box on the target ship that it hits. If it hits the whole ship essentially then you have a massive boost to damage.

necxelos

Post by necxelos » Sat, 6. Mar 10, 20:26

:o

ivak
x3tc

Post by ivak » Sat, 6. Mar 10, 20:45

Have you never been on the receiving end of a PBG? I have died a flaming death more times than i care to remember. You have to watch out for flamethrowers (especially in big numbers) even when you are flying a corvette. In fact, i do remember one particular squid, who got barbecued in a frigate.
Your ship Your Python was destroyed in sector Split Fire by Spacefly.

SIMON POPPLEWELL
x3tc

Post by SIMON POPPLEWELL » Sat, 6. Mar 10, 20:57

They are also lethal OOS, I've lost my fair share of M7 patrols to PBG wielding Blastclaws. :shock:

Technojerk36
xr

Post by Technojerk36 » Sat, 6. Mar 10, 21:25

With 8 PBGs you can easily take down any M6.
My "for Dummies" guides: Trade Command Software Mk III | Advanced Satellites | X3: TC (Co-author: K-64) | SETA Repair
Xenon_Slayer wrote:maybe we'll have extreme weather pingpong at some point

RyuKazuha
x3tc

Post by RyuKazuha » Sat, 6. Mar 10, 21:35

PBGs are just way overpowered.

An they are the reason why Falcon Haulers can be easily turned into a cheap heavy strike force able to easily take down Corvettes and Frigates.

Technojerk36
xr

Post by Technojerk36 » Sat, 6. Mar 10, 21:39

Agreed, PBGs are over powered. I just took down a J using only PBGs. I distracted it with light missiles so I could get close (ie so close none of the turrets can shoot at you) then I matched speed and barbecued away. Only took me around 30 seconds to blow the thing up. :D
My "for Dummies" guides: Trade Command Software Mk III | Advanced Satellites | X3: TC (Co-author: K-64) | SETA Repair
Xenon_Slayer wrote:maybe we'll have extreme weather pingpong at some point

The-Gizmo
x3tc

Post by The-Gizmo » Sat, 6. Mar 10, 22:17

I think they don't use enough energy for the amount of damage they deal.

Reimu Hakurei
x3tc

Post by Reimu Hakurei » Sat, 6. Mar 10, 22:24

I managed to reproduce the PBG in another game (Battleships Forever, modifying the Pulsar Gun) and found that it is either overpowered or underpowered in varying situations. It is also difficult to test due to the differing defensive makeups and sizes of different ships. So it's no wonder to me why it's imbalanced in X3TC, although scaling down the damage does go a long way; but I think Egosoft wanted to make the beginning player think about who he kills, and that's certainly something the PBG does well.

What I did however, which Egosoft did not, is dedicate an entire (and rather ungainly) ship class to mounting only the PBG, and this seems to work a lot better as balance goes.

argon_emperor
x4

Post by argon_emperor » Sat, 6. Mar 10, 23:20

If you people think the PBG is overpowered, you've never come face to face with a Xenon force where 80% of the M's and L's use PBE's..... I would rather face a pirate patrol with only PBG's equipped than the PBE's.... at least you stand a chance of avoiding the flamethrower when you get in range, no chance for that with the PBE.
[ external image ]
***modified***
"You can get more of what you want with kind words and a gun, than you can with just kind words" - Al Capone

perkint
x3tc

Post by perkint » Sun, 7. Mar 10, 12:15

The encyclopedia doesn't as such lie, it just only tells part of the story. PSGs are the same sort of thing - area effect weapons so the damage gets multiplied up more than the stats suggest...

Tim
Struggling to find something from the forums - Google it!!! :D

OniGanon

Post by OniGanon » Sun, 7. Mar 10, 13:52

The stats aren't everything, man...

EmperorJon
x3tc

Post by EmperorJon » Sun, 7. Mar 10, 14:58

3 suggestions:

PBG cost increase

PBG energy increase

PBG RoF decrease

Should ahve a cooldown time. That would look epic, you blast them with fire then your guns overheat for a few seconds! :wink:
______
I'm Jon. I'm mostly not around any more. If you want to talk, please message me! It's cool.
______

Lord Dakier
x4

Post by Lord Dakier » Sun, 7. Mar 10, 15:54

Agreed.

Bobucles
x3tc

Post by Bobucles » Sun, 7. Mar 10, 17:19

Area weapons strike every hit box every frame. The total damage value is insane. A single M3 can with PBGs can destroy stations in less than 10 minutes.
PBGs use less energy than anything else. 50/sec is less draw than a Particle Accelerator Cannon.

jwigeland
x3tc

Post by jwigeland » Sun, 7. Mar 10, 20:37

NOOOOO!!! Don't nerf my flamethrowers!!! :(

Biroboy
x3tc

Post by Biroboy » Mon, 8. Mar 10, 01:20

If you think PBGs are overpowered, go out and buy a Deimos. 8xPSGs on the front and you'll be absolutely slaughtering anything you can get in-range of, and with 6 Gj worth of shielding, you can charge down pretty much anything in the game.

As a minor aside, how does the damage on AoE weapons scale for OOS combat? I saw someone mention that they'd lost M7s to PBG-equipped blastclaws, which implies that the OOS combat calcs are based on a greatly scaled-up value for the weapon per-shot damage. I'm using my Deimos to patrol the corridor from Scale Plate Green to Black Hole Sun, and if PSGs are overpowered in OOS combat as-well, then i'll ditch the CIGs on the front for PSGs (and hope I never jump in-system when there's friendlies anywhere near the thing.....)

-- Biro

jwigeland
x3tc

Post by jwigeland » Tue, 9. Mar 10, 17:00

LOL I'll seriously have to try that Biro. But for the moment, I'm having fun with my PBG-equipped Hyperion! :twisted:

vradchuk
x2

Post by vradchuk » Thu, 11. Mar 10, 01:33

Bobucles wrote:Area weapons strike every hit box every frame.
You didn't mean frames that my computer generates on the screen, did you?
Could you define what "hit boxes" and "frames" are, please?

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”