[TC] Space Flies hitting me?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

cazman
x3tc

Space Flies hitting me?

Post by cazman » Sat, 6. Mar 10, 21:57

Is that space flies shaking my Boreas? THey are shaking the whole ship if that is them. And a Boreas at that!

RyuKazuha
x3tc

Post by RyuKazuha » Sat, 6. Mar 10, 22:04

This is what you get for flying pocket destroyers! :P

But are you sure it was a space fly? Space hornets tend to have a slightly greater impact.

fairywhipper

Post by fairywhipper » Sat, 6. Mar 10, 23:39

lost profit.
you need spacef collector.

cazman
x3tc

Post by cazman » Sun, 7. Mar 10, 14:38

RyuKazuha, what do you mean pocket destroyer. Boreas may be not the best but I kill everything with it. I just found the OTAS the other day. Beats the crap out of my slow azz Phoeonix. Which also served me well

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 7. Mar 10, 15:08

The Boreas description calls itself a light destroyer and if you look at any of the size comparison charts it is a half to a third the dimensions of the rest of the M2s.

By the way the official term 'pocket' when referring to a warship just addresses size and not power. The Bismark was a Pocket Battleship in WW2 and was limited to that size because of imposed ship building restrictions placed on Germany after WW1 - but it surely was no push-over!

cazman
x3tc

Post by cazman » Sun, 7. Mar 10, 15:28

Ahh, so I like my "pocket" destroyer (Boreas). It looks cool, though a bit odd or over the top perhaps and it also pack a mighty punch for such a "Small" destroyer. IT also has decent speed. I've looked over the specs of other ships and feel like it should be rated higher than I see on this forum. It is at the upper cost range though. I still like and it is my destroyer of choice at the moment.

fairywhipper

Post by fairywhipper » Sun, 7. Mar 10, 16:17

with m2 class been destroyers, m1 class for carriers, m0 class for xenon (really big) ship. when can i get a true battleship? i want an m9 class (da big ass kicker class), in case i have to take out several destoyers(+ associated side kicks).... i wonder if spaceflies will still shudder the ship? :lol:

Bobucles
x3tc

Post by Bobucles » Sun, 7. Mar 10, 17:19

Can space flies set off a squash mine?

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 7. Mar 10, 18:16

They didn't when swarms were found in the middle of Split Fire which was squash-mined in my early game. Mind you if Space Flies did set mines off, the ones involved would only do it once. I know that floating wares don't and incoming missiles don't until they actually hit the mine with enough damage to kill it, so I guess that it is only items classed as ships (which also includes the spacesuit) that will.

I haven't tried it myself but you could test to see if dropping and then arming a squash mine close to to a station does any immediate damage if there are no flying ships about (docked ships are treated as part of the station).

perkint
x3tc

Post by perkint » Sun, 7. Mar 10, 21:20

cazman wrote:I've looked over the specs of other ships and feel like it should be rated higher than I see on this forum
I think the Boreas is generally regarded as the most powerful M2 from the commonwealth!!!

Tim
Struggling to find something from the forums - Google it!!! :D

Ripskar
x3ap

Post by Ripskar » Sun, 7. Mar 10, 21:59

Alan Phipps wrote: The Bismark was a Pocket Battleship in WW2 and was limited to that size because of imposed ship building restrictions placed on Germany after WW1 - but it surely was no push-over!
Correction: Bismark and Tirpitz were genuine full sized battleships built after Versailles had been discarded.
The Pocket Battleships were Graf Spee, Admiral Scheer and Lutzow (ex-Deutschland)

Biroboy
x3tc

Post by Biroboy » Mon, 8. Mar 10, 02:41

Just to weigh briefly into the military history debate, I would definately class the Boreas as a pocket battleship:
Wikipedia wrote:The principal feature of the Deutschland design was that it had guns of large enough calibre—280 mm (11 inches)—to out-gun almost any enemy cruiser fast enough to catch it, while being fast enough to outrun almost any enemy powerful enough to sink it.
The combination of the Boreas' speed and armament definately meets this definition, the oly thing that is a serious threat to mine is packs of 3-4 Q's. It can outrun anything capable of hitting it hard, and kill anything that can catch it.

-- Biro

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”