Teladi Ships

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Spychotic
x3tc

Teladi Ships

Post by Spychotic » Tue, 9. Mar 10, 23:52

Spike is baffled.

Again and again, he reads posts in these forums that say something along the lines of this totally bewildering statement;
Teladi ships look good
Could someone out there please explain to me why anyone with any sense of aesthetics could find those flying mammoth junkpiles to be anything other than an abominable eyesore?

I mean, yeah, 'junkpiles' are what you'd expect from the Teladi, but 'good looking'???

Spike
Check out the X3 Wiki!

Struggling with a plotline? Spike's Walkthroughs are your answer!

Whether you're building your first factory or a trading empire, this station management guide was made just for you.

Captain CAVEMAN!!!
x3tc

Post by Captain CAVEMAN!!! » Tue, 9. Mar 10, 23:55

Im as confused as you heh

paranid all the way for me

However it is probably the junkpile look that makes them look good to 'some' bieng that they look ruged and are generally massive to boot

Baddieus
x4

Post by Baddieus » Wed, 10. Mar 10, 00:01

There's no point in arguing taste ... it's all a matter of opinion.

Personally, I'm not overly fond of the Split designs as a whole.

T.Thompson
x3tc

Post by T.Thompson » Wed, 10. Mar 10, 00:03

Personally, I kinda like Split equipment. Somethin sinister in their designs.
"Wherever I have gone, I was sure to find myself there. You can run all your life, but not go anywhere..."

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Wed, 10. Mar 10, 00:03

I've been flying a Heavy Osprey and I have to say it's not easy on the eye...

...Having said that I do love the Phoenix- I love the way it looks, the fact it is bigger than an Aran - But that's individual taste, and it wouldn't be good for us all to like the same thing.
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

AgamemnonArgon
x3tc

Post by AgamemnonArgon » Wed, 10. Mar 10, 00:05

A lot of starships in SF from ten or so years ago were long, clunky designs with pointed antennae sticking out of the front. I like those, and also the Teladi designs. Why does a starship need to be smooth and streamlined anyway.
New ships in any of the future add ons for X3TC would also be fun to have though.
Argon Patriot and Battlemaster
Peace - Through Superior Firepower

RyuKazuha
x3tc

Post by RyuKazuha » Wed, 10. Mar 10, 00:18

Well, all of the people that generally like a more raw appearance.

Aesthetics are a very variable thing to start with.

Teladi ships just look powerful and intimidating. If they would be just big, well defined ships, they wouldn't even look half as impressive as they do now, at least, that's my impression.

But I generally prefer the more "mechanical" look. I was always fan of the Borg for example, who also have some very pretty ships.

Maybe it's just this kind of dark, filthy, dystopic flair that makes them attractive.

Volatar
xr

Post by Volatar » Wed, 10. Mar 10, 00:28

I love teladi ships, they just scream DEATH to me :D

Also, Split ships are the worst. Split ships look like a bunch of rusted iron duct taped together!

mystikmind2005
x2

Post by mystikmind2005 » Wed, 10. Mar 10, 00:31

I know in X3R it looks like there was a mix up in the design phase and some of the design concepts for ships were accidentally used for building stations such as Paranid trading stations!
What intriguing weapons and shields will you use to protect your trade ships and sectors from the Khaak when your not home? unless you can afford capital ships *and luck* its all for nothing, NOTHING! Mwaahhhhahaha
*(amendment for TC since all the good strategy and planning is no longer enough, you also need luck)*

T.Thompson
x3tc

Post by T.Thompson » Wed, 10. Mar 10, 01:00

Have to say that I'm not keen on Split stations.

Now, Argon ships (to me) look like the "good guy" in just about all newer scifi flicks and cover art for books. Some of them are alright lookin, but, too generic for my taste.
"Wherever I have gone, I was sure to find myself there. You can run all your life, but not go anywhere..."

MegaJohnny
x4

Post by MegaJohnny » Wed, 10. Mar 10, 01:37

I rather like the whole rough-and-ready asymmetrical look the Teladi have. Surely I'm not the only one who doesn't find any of the styles specifically "ugly".

Lord Dakier
x4

Post by Lord Dakier » Wed, 10. Mar 10, 02:25

Split in general as for looks I'd say its Split then Paranid :P

Split ships look like they're built to scare the enemy. Paranid look like they're built not to go into a war and Argon ships look like theyre built to go into Boron underwater cities and Boron ships look like they just came out of Avatar. Teladi ships make you think what the hell is that comet of crap coming at me doing! OMG... Gauss Cannons! Aaaarrrggghhh!

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Wed, 10. Mar 10, 03:52

Looking at the various races, my impressions are:

Argon: Industrial. Not a lot of polish, but very functional.

Boron: Organic. Look mostly like aquatic creatures, and appear to have an organic hull.

Teladi: Cheap. Whatever bits of junk can be thrown together to make something that flys. Junkyard Chic essentially.

Split: Simple, Uniform. Something that can easily compensate for being constructed using slave labor. The capital designs are all basically the same with only minor differences.

Paranid: Sleek, Smooth. Extremely sleek, smoothly made.

Star Wars Style References: Argon=Correllian, Boron=Mon Calamari, Teladi=Rebellion, Split=Imperial, Paranid=Naboo

Deleted User

Post by Deleted User » Wed, 10. Mar 10, 05:42

hahaha yeah it takes a certain type of person to look at a teladi ship and say; wowee thats hot!

I think all the ships look pretty cool! The blastclaws look funny until they spray ten million lasers at you. I really like the junker look of the Teladi big ships, they are like old school rat rods guys used to build in the 60s

X universe ships as cars?

Argon- American Muscle Cars! Fords Chevs Dodges Why? Cuz Argons are stable workhorse ships that are good all around, nice looks, good performance, decent weapons.

Paranid- Luxury Coupes! Like Lincoln and Cadillac , Jaguar and Mercedes Benz because Paranid ships are a cut above, being just a bit faster, better shielded, sharper teeth, but with less cargo room, like how a Lotus Elite is a snappy car but it can't pack two suitcases!

Boron- Concept Cars! Like all those funky concept cars you see at car shows, if only because of their funky looks and quirky characters

Split- Race Cars! Yeah it sounds weird but just like a race car is optimized for the specific purpose of going fast a Split ship is built with one goal in mind...flinging plasma at your foe!

Teladi- Farm Trucks...rusty...ugly...slow...but tough as nails and always gets the job done...Whooah Like a Rock!

OniGanon

Post by OniGanon » Wed, 10. Mar 10, 08:57

I miss the Teladi look from X2. They generally had a rough look about them, with a common theme of having a cockpit piece with a piece on either side to look sort of like wings (which made sense with the bird name theme for their ships). The X2 Phoenix was a very mean looking ship.

testpilot_bg
x3tc

Post by testpilot_bg » Wed, 10. Mar 10, 10:08

Spychotic, have you ever played S.T.A.L.K.E.R.?
There is a level there called Garbage! It's looking very good to me. You know what I mean, not always good looking zones, armors, weapons or spaceships need to be shiny with disco lights like the flying saucers of Spielberg in "Close encounters of the 3rd kind". ;) In the rusty, old, garbage like things, sometimes have much style than the shinning ones.

Spychotic
x3tc

Post by Spychotic » Wed, 10. Mar 10, 11:15

I must agree with the opinions that the Teladi ships in earlier games were good-looking. Both the Phoenix and the Condor were very nice ships. Though I never had much love for the Albatross whilst playing X2.

Oddly, in X3 I think that it is the other way round. I don't mind the look of the X3 Albatross so much; in X2 all of the TLs save the Hercules had the engines mounted too high, and I could not help but look at them and refuse to believe that they could fly in a stright line. In X3 this issue is solved and the junky look of the Albatross sort of suits it (it looks like someone got a big cargobay, strapped on fuel tanks, engines and other flight systems and stuck a habitation module on the front) but as for the Phoenix and Condor...

... I just don't like them. I think that it's the joins between the sections, they look too weedy and that makes them unbelieveable (yes, Xenon ships suffer the same, and I am not fond of them either).

The fighters I don't have a lot of love for either. They don't look fighter-like. In fact, in the pre-release for Reunion the Falcon appeared in the teasers and it was immediately mistaken for a corvette...

Though I do like the Vulture. It looks freighter-like.

Spike
Check out the X3 Wiki!

Struggling with a plotline? Spike's Walkthroughs are your answer!

Whether you're building your first factory or a trading empire, this station management guide was made just for you.

AL'42
x3tc

Post by AL'42 » Wed, 10. Mar 10, 11:20

My 3 personal ships at the moment

Kestrel M5 (Teladi) superb scouting ship, looks fab, dunno how the Teladi managed to design this one

Tenjin M3 (Yaki)

Shrike M7 (Teladi) love it to bits, looks like something out of a mad max movie, killing machine, 360° turret coverage, I often go to external view to watch the fireworks.

TheJakal
x3tc

Post by TheJakal » Wed, 10. Mar 10, 16:34

I'm personally with OniGamon on this, except I prefer the look of most of the ships from X2 lol.

I loved the look of the Bayamon and the Condor in particular. Have always hated the look of Paranid ships (in both X2 and X3) and hate the new looks of the Split in X3 (bring back my bird of prey looking Mamba dammit!). I suppose however they do look more liek spaceships now and they seem to appear bigger like the scaling on some of the hull details is now smaller than in X2.

Still the Teladi ships look like they should. I love them in X3 for that simple reason that they arn't worried about the look of things just getting to job done and they do look like they could.

Cheers

TheJakal
Terrick Trading Industry.

http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=269673

My DiD game and small time trading guide despite my universe being slightly more deadly.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Wed, 10. Mar 10, 21:30

Yeah, I think the Paranid M1 and TL are rather silly looking. They remind me of some of those old Buck Rogers/Flash Gordon ray guns, complete with hand grips. Or you could mistake them for some oddball trophy that belongs on a shelf. :lol:

As for the Bayamon, all the pirate ships in X2 suffered from the 'Darth Vader Helmet' look. :roll: The ones in X-Tension were much, much better designs, IMO.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”