[REQ] Central script & mod hosting or BACKUP download hosting

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

AtomicDryad

[REQ] Central script & mod hosting or BACKUP download hosting

Post by AtomicDryad » Thu, 11. Mar 10, 02:13

I've seen multiple instances of a script being hosted on one of those megauploadrapidshare4sharedBLAHBLAHwtf sites that suck in that they inevitably drop the files. Oblivion / Fallout3 / etc have nice sites where one can upload their mod and screenshots, etc etc. For an example, see http://tesnexus.com. Would something like this be wanted? If so I have a server that should be able to handle it (100mbit connection).

As far as the software, it probably wouldn't be fancy like tesnexus unless I can find something, but the main idea is to provide reliable download links.
Last edited by AtomicDryad on Fri, 12. Mar 10, 18:34, edited 1 time in total.

Lord Dakier
x4

Post by Lord Dakier » Thu, 11. Mar 10, 02:21

Most usually go about their own links. Filefront has an X section which I dont notice it gettng used.

AtomicDryad

Post by AtomicDryad » Thu, 11. Mar 10, 02:24

Well at the very least please use code.google.com or such, anything but megarapid4shared :P

Liath
x4

Post by Liath » Thu, 11. Mar 10, 22:04

I concur. The varied sites that are used now is frustrating. Download links don't work for different people, file hosts drop the files, private servers go bye-bye, etc.

I'd really like it if everyone could upload to one site, preferably one that doesn't have a history of dropping files, or look like they could go *poof* at any given moment.

For instance, today I went to download Swamp's X3 performance mod (uses older shaders to get a little more performance). I can't get it anymore because his domain isn't registered any longer. /me sad
If I seem super-critical lately, it's due to having played X2 and X3, which were awesome games. X:R's release was a hard fail, however there *were* improvements, especially with stations, capitals, and capturing/boarding. X4 right now feels like the best parts of X2/3 and Rebirth all got thrown out the friggin window. I'm honestly hopeful that X4 will turn out awesome, but I'm already hugely disappointed in ES as I have seen them do better and really expect more from them.

Lord Dakier
x4

Post by Lord Dakier » Thu, 11. Mar 10, 22:34

The problem with private servers is that one day they dont get maintained and poof again. If there is one link to this central site then another to some random one then thats sound.

Liath
x4

Post by Liath » Thu, 11. Mar 10, 22:55

I'd LOVE to see a nice unified place for all of our scriptwriters and modders to use. But... it would need to be relatively stable, and preferably permanent.

I woudln't mind the filefront site, except it is horribly designed. At least it doens't have the lame wait-times, or forced login. I could deal with filefront.

Be even better if we had a nicer organization of scripts and mods that anyone could use though. Maybe requiring an account to upload, but *not* to download.

Maybe even a page format that closely resembles this forum and style.

For instance, I loved the XTM mod and hopefully soon will love XTC, but the X-Universe's page style IMHO is confusing and counterproductive. But then again I tend to favor nice, clean, neat, and simple layouts.
If I seem super-critical lately, it's due to having played X2 and X3, which were awesome games. X:R's release was a hard fail, however there *were* improvements, especially with stations, capitals, and capturing/boarding. X4 right now feels like the best parts of X2/3 and Rebirth all got thrown out the friggin window. I'm honestly hopeful that X4 will turn out awesome, but I'm already hugely disappointed in ES as I have seen them do better and really expect more from them.

Lord Dakier
x4

Post by Lord Dakier » Thu, 11. Mar 10, 23:19

Yeah simple layouts with a simple search and a simple dl button works for me.

TSM
Not a Moderator
x4

Post by TSM » Fri, 12. Mar 10, 01:07

I am the manager of all stuff X over at filefront, I keep trying to get people to host there :), you can also upload screenshots aswell.

We are hosting quite a few active scripts already.
FAQ's Egosoft Interactive FAQ
Egosoft Wiki

Lord Dakier
x4

Post by Lord Dakier » Fri, 12. Mar 10, 01:15

Your X2 sector could do with a bit of work :P

Why not send a message to Baubsmyth to see if you can upload the scripts from his 4shared account over at filefront.

TSM
Not a Moderator
x4

Post by TSM » Fri, 12. Mar 10, 01:25

Lord_Dakier wrote:Your X2 sector could do with a bit of work :P

Why not send a message to Baubsmyth to see if you can upload the scripts from his 4shared account over at filefront.
Care to link me to post of his I am more than willing to contact him :)
Egosoft Wiki

AtomicDryad

Post by AtomicDryad » Fri, 12. Mar 10, 01:34

Some private sites do stick around (tesnexus is a great example), but I agree that there is risk. However dataloss with rapidshare and it's ilk is inevitable.

filefront I can vouch for, it's hosted the largest Stalker mod repo for years, though it is slightly cruddy (again, spoiled by tesnexus).

Part of the problem with filefront, I think, is that people don't want to:
a: register and use a login to upload
b: wait for -approval- before their upload is put up (it's like that for stalker.filefront at least)

I could automate mirroring threads with downloadable mods but as alot of these share sites have captha it wouldn't get everything.

I will suggest code.google.com again, because it's free, most everyone has a google account, and it's a hell of a lot more reliable than rapidsh***...are >.>

mark_a_condren
x3tc

Post by mark_a_condren » Fri, 12. Mar 10, 02:27

Part of the problem with filefront, I think, is that people don't want to:
a: register and use a login to upload
b: wait for -approval- before their upload is put up (it's like that for stalker.filefront at least)
In regards to item (a), i WILL NOT use any site to host anything of mine that does not require a logon and username/password to upload. If i'm uploading something and telling people its coming from me, i want to make damn sure that it is coming from me, and this is the most secure way of doing that.

A lot of the security issues that come with private servers has been dissussed before in another thread and no suitable solution was found at that time.

With regards to item (b), i'm as guilty as many others of not using filefronts X section. I do use Filefront to host my scripts but at the time of releasing my first script i had enought to get straight so i posted them in my own account with filefront due to not wanting the extra hassle of having to workout how to deal with the X section of filefront as well. So the whole approval part was something i could avoid at the time. (Sorry TSM). and i haven't bothered changing it since **cringe**. So to be honest i haven't really looked into the whole proccess required to post in the X section, like most people i like simple and if it sound complicated, i put it off and then usually don't get back around to changing it.

Ok, i've rambled enough, just putting in my 2 cents worth.

MarCon

TSM
Not a Moderator
x4

Post by TSM » Fri, 12. Mar 10, 02:33

our hosting is really easy to use ;) if you use it I even pm or email the links to you and add you as developer to all your files, best way to get quick response is to pm me on here and I can get right on any file uploaded.

Marcon I can move files already hosting with Filefront to X part of site all I need is links and I will do rest of work for ya.
Egosoft Wiki

Carlo the Curious
x4

Post by Carlo the Curious » Fri, 12. Mar 10, 02:36

XaiCorp hosts quite a few (although mostly older ones).

Lord Dakier
x4

Post by Lord Dakier » Fri, 12. Mar 10, 02:40

TSM wrote:

http://www.4shared.com/dir/2474727/844c ... hreat.html

There you are, be sure to ask first though :P

I think it's fair if you just add the X2 ones without permission because most scripts there no longer have their scripter active but, ofcourse if its someone who is active ask them. Infact better see if its ok with the modders too.

TSM
Not a Moderator
x4

Post by TSM » Fri, 12. Mar 10, 02:43

Lord_Dakier wrote:
TSM wrote:

http://www.4shared.com/dir/2474727/844c ... hreat.html

There you are, be sure to ask first though :P

I think it's fair if you just add the X2 ones without permission because most scripts there no longer have their scripter active but, ofcourse if its someone who is active ask them. Infact better see if its ok with the modders too.
Is the owner of that hosting folder a user on this forum?
Egosoft Wiki

Lord Dakier
x4

Post by Lord Dakier » Fri, 12. Mar 10, 02:51

It's baubsmyths...

http://forum.egosoft.com/profile.php?mo ... e&u=162306

I'm not sure whether he is active or not but he added these quite sometime ago. PM him or send an email.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Fri, 12. Mar 10, 08:14

Carlo the Curious wrote:XaiCorp hosts quite a few (although mostly older ones).
Lack of marketing I suppose, which in turn is result from moggy2 being less active lately. But that is the site I would use. (And always go there for MSCI.)

Liath
x4

Post by Liath » Fri, 12. Mar 10, 12:48

Oh yeah... dummy me forgot all about XiaCorp. I used it almost exclusively during X2 and first half of X3.

Maybe the S&M sticky thread should have a "these sites will gladly host your scripts and mods" section?

XiaCorp is a good site, nice and neat, organized too. One thing I'm not sure of is how much he's willing to host larger mods and packages, 'since I believe that is running off of his personal server, and I'm sure he has to pay bandwidth costs.

Filefront seems reliable, but the site's layout is horrendous.

Haven't checked out code.google.com, thought it was more for... well, code :P I'll check it out today. Google is pretty darned stable though!

Google Code seems to only be available to Open Source Projects, which would not include gaming files for a proprietary game. Not sure, so feel free to tell me otherwise.

Since Moggy isn't going anywhere, anytime soon, and XiaCorp has been around for ages, I think that if we could get some more input from him, and he could put up something in the S&M script-list, we could get a unified host.

@Atomic: Do you think you can edit the OP, and change the title to something like [REQ] Unified/Central Script/Mod Host ? Might be able to get more attention :P

AtomicDryad

Post by AtomicDryad » Fri, 12. Mar 10, 18:52

Liath wrote: Haven't checked out code.google.com, thought it was more for... well, code :P
[snip]
Google Code seems to only be available to Open Source Projects, which would not include gaming files for a proprietary game. Not sure, so feel free to tell me otherwise.
http://code.google.com/hosting/search?q=mod
Scripts are open source mods to a closed source game.
@Atomic: Do you think you can edit the OP, and change the title to something like [REQ] Unified/Central Script/Mod Host ? Might be able to get more attention :P
Done! And + backup hosting. I must clarify the main gist of my original post.

A centralized X3 script and modding site, with fancy screenshot galleries and commenting and whatnot would be really -nice-. The best feature of such a site, however, would be to encourage uploading to something more stable.

A stable repository for this content is -needed- rather than just 'nice'. IMHO. It need not be the -primary- hosting, people can just toss it to said host and mention it as a backup download link. Then when the link to rapidfail/etc sends you to a "nyah nyah file's gone HEHE" page, or when a 'datacenter=livingroom raid=yeahright' server bursts into flames because of cat hair clogging the fans, the content doesn't disappear from the face of the earth :P

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”