X-BtF keyboard problems

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

raithe

X-BtF keyboard problems

Post by raithe » Sat, 13. Mar 10, 05:52

I found my X BtF cd (not gold just btf) in a drawer the other day and decided to give it a try. I've installed it on four different systems ranging from a PII 300 to a modern dual-core and they all have the same problem. The keyboard response is horrible. They hang, they don't respond, they lag, after a while (half hour-ish) the whole keyboard stops responding entirely. PS2, AT, USB, Laptop all the same. Any ideas at all here would be greatly appreciated.

(On a sidenote I find it funny that X2 has great keyboard response and horrible mouse lag.)

kizito
xr

Post by kizito » Sat, 13. Mar 10, 07:35

im not an expert but is the keyboard wireless??? i also suggest you post in the tech support area for a better reply.

Cheers

Rapier
x3tc

Post by Rapier » Sat, 13. Mar 10, 10:02

There isn't a Tech Support forum for X-BtF; it would be rather quiet if there was! I know in later versions there was a '-lowpri' switch you could use in the command line that made things better. I don't know if the same applies to BtF though.
Rapier - The Orifice of all Knowledge

Godwin's Law is not one of the Forum Rules.
Search just the forum with Google

raithe

Post by raithe » Sat, 13. Mar 10, 11:50

Rapier

The switch doesn't seem to work for BtF (v 1.96) however alt-tabbing and setting the priority to "below normal" manually does seem to help considerably. I feel kinda foolish for not thinking of that myself as I've seen it resolve input issues in other games.

The controls are still too touchy, but no longer hang or stop responding. Before I had two speeds 0 and 100%, and if I more than tapped a direction or roll key it resulted in a 10 second spin. Needless to say that made docking..... challenging.

Now to try it with X2 and see if it helps the awful mouse control.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sat, 13. Mar 10, 19:01

The lowpri switch mentioned by Rapier definitely works on X2, so I'd try that first.

raithe

Post by raithe » Wed, 17. Mar 10, 14:15

I tried the -lowpri switch with X2 and it helped some; the lag is gone, but the mouse movement is still odd. It's acting a lot like acceleration is on (it's not), if I move the mouse slow it's fine, but anything more than a creep and it makes these huge jumps. Playable but dog fighting is difficult.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Wed, 17. Mar 10, 20:41

Mouse control was less than optimum for X2 anyway. It really plays a lot better with a joystick. And the same goes for X-BTF and X-Tension.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Freeholder
x4

Post by Freeholder » Wed, 17. Mar 10, 22:00

I can back up Nanook's observation about X2. I've run X2 under Win 95, XP, and Vista on four wildly different computers. I cannot play that game without a joystick.

raithe

Post by raithe » Thu, 18. Mar 10, 07:18

<laughs>
ok then, guess I'll grab a joystick for X2. I find BtF pretty playable with the keyboard, which is cool because it reminds even more of Elite.

Thanks for all your help guys.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”