Editing the galaxy map using doubleshadow editor

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

bluebird1927
x2

Editing the galaxy map using doubleshadow editor

Post by bluebird1927 » Wed, 24. Mar 10, 16:40

Can anyone tell me which CAT file(s) i need to edit to make changes to the universe/sector maps. I'm updated to 2.5 and there are 9 CAT+DAT files (I have 10 as i have a cockpit mod intalled as a fake patch). Can someone tell me which CAT file I would need to edit as there are nemerous CAT files that have the universe map in.

Am I right in thinking it would be the last CAT file?

Also there is a CAT file that only has additional sectors included (I'm assuming these relate to the additional aldrin missions) will these need to be changed in any way?

TIA
Intel E8400
HD4850
Seagate 250GB
Vista Premium 64bit

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Wed, 24. Mar 10, 16:49

Cats are Catalog Files, similar to zip they only "store" compressed files. You need to look in one of those (9 or 8 ) for a x3.universe and x3universe_20. These are the map files which set up the sectors.

But should you just want to add new sectors, you could just create them in a separate map file and load them.

see here how it works (read the whole topic)

MFG

Ketraar

bluebird1927
x2

Post by bluebird1927 » Wed, 24. Mar 10, 17:54

thanks for the quick reply.

What I am doing is adding/removing some roids in a couple of sectors and removing some objects such as the station debis in Pesidents end, nothing major.

I certainly dont want to add sectors as that would for me change the essence of the game. I have done this previously in X2 and X3 with no problems, I attempted to do it about a year ago in TC with mixed results, it worked in some sectors but not others. My guess at the time was that I either edited the wrong CAT file or the game would not allow me to change a sector that had a plot mission in.

Because of the mixed results in TC I was hoping someone could pinpoint which CAT file(s) would need to be edited for all of the changes to be made, or whether my theory that some of the changes would not happen due to the sector being integral to a plot mission?
Intel E8400
HD4850
Seagate 250GB
Vista Premium 64bit

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Wed, 24. Mar 10, 18:26

Again its not the cat files that need editing, its the map file called x3universe. You find it in cat 9 or 8 (take the one in the highest cat).

now you can extract it to \X3TC\maps folder and edit it in ingame Galaxy Editor, or using doubleshadow's X3Editor.
Note that the X3Editor 2 does NOT have a galaxy editor.

Anyway, once your done leave the file in the maps folder and start new game.

To edit debris you will have to make same procedure but with the debris file.

MFG

Ketraar

bluebird1927
x2

Post by bluebird1927 » Wed, 24. Mar 10, 19:54

sorry we seem to be misunderstanding each other, my fault I should have made it more clear.

I'm using the doubleshadow X3Editor 2, when i open the game files, you can select the CAT files, you then go into the subfolders of the CAT file, then into the maps folder, then into the 'universe' file (.pck or something). This is what i mean when i say im editing the CAT file (sorry).

Anyway, although the X3TC editor does not have a galaxy editor, the old X3Editor 2 does, and this allows me to edit the universe/sectores like you could in X3. As I have said previously I have managed to edit using this, most of the changes worked, some of the changes did not. Could the fact that im using the X3editor 2 be another reason why some of the changes I made did not apply?

Thank you for confirming that it is the latest CAT files that contian the folders i want to edit. However can you confirm it is only the complete universe map that I need to make changes to, or will i need to look at the additional sectors that were added in the patch to see if there are any conflicts or duplicated sectors that may have been added to by the patch?

TIA
Intel E8400
HD4850
Seagate 250GB
Vista Premium 64bit

Rednoahl
x4

Post by Rednoahl » Thu, 25. Mar 10, 11:31

Easiest way to edit the galaxy is to use the built in galaxy editor - this thread from stickies - check out the pdf.

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”