[TC] Weird CTRL-D behavior

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

sleepy_head
x3tc

Weird CTRL-D behavior

Post by sleepy_head » Sat, 27. Mar 10, 15:56

So I have a ship with the docking computer, I move within 5km of a station and hit control-d. The problem is, often times it will refuse to acknowledge my first click. I hit CTRL-D, it says "Docking blah balh" so OBVIOUSLY the command registered, but why doesn't it pop me into the station? It isn't even lag I can do this in a sector with very few stuff, and frequently I have to hit CTRL-D 3 or 4 times while the game goes "Docking...Doc...Docking..." before finally teleporting me in. How do I fix this problem?

Thanks.

Joman
x3tc

Post by Joman » Sat, 27. Mar 10, 16:08

it is bekose:
a: you are to close to an station-part.
b: some times it need to be in auto-dockin to work.
c: you arent in the 5 km. range.

IIRC it is in the wrong forum you have postet in sleepy
I know, i know. DONT blame me for my english.

argon_emperor
x4

Post by argon_emperor » Sat, 27. Mar 10, 16:28

Technically the docking computer actually works at 4.5km minimum distance between the station and your ship, so in other words, the closest point on your ship has to be within 4.5km of the closest point on the station, which usually isn't the distance shown on screen.

Generally, if the distance says 4.5km then the docking computer will always take effect. If you're further away, it depends on if the above condition is met. Don't know why it's set to that distance though.... think it might have something to do with capital ships...
[ external image ]
***modified***
"You can get more of what you want with kind words and a gun, than you can with just kind words" - Al Capone

fairywhipper

Post by fairywhipper » Sat, 27. Mar 10, 16:28

try at less than 4.3km . that usually works, sometimes if it still flying you in circles, than its either full landed ships or there is 1 ship(docked) which causes misdocking (usually shipyards).

perkint
x3tc

Post by perkint » Sat, 27. Mar 10, 18:43

To clarify it a bit - if the docking computer decides you are not in range, that command will just activate teh auto pilot to dock you normally. As for exactly how the range is calculated, that is often debated. I think itt's actually the range to the docking clamps/port on the destination station, but I am not sure.

Certainly the acceptable range varies a lot with different stations...

Tim
Struggling to find something from the forums - Google it!!! :D

Dycor
x3tc

Post by Dycor » Sat, 27. Mar 10, 19:32

It may be that the docks are full and you have to wait for one to get empty. The docking computer has a range of under 5 Km for small fabs and some station, bigger stations can be dock at under 10 kms.
Last edited by Dycor on Sat, 27. Mar 10, 20:33, edited 4 times in total.

ivak
x3tc

Post by ivak » Sat, 27. Mar 10, 19:42

perkint wrote:... As for exactly how the range is calculated, that is often debated. I think itt's actually the range to the docking clamps/port on the destination station, but I am not sure...
The distance is measured to the nearest station's vertex and actually is 4.0 km. The constant is defined in Globals.pck:

Code: Select all

SG_MAX_DISTANCE_COMM;25000;            // largest Terran station ca 25km diameter, 12.5km radius
SG_MAX_DISTANCE_BEAMING;5000;          // transporter device
SG_MAX_VERTEXDIST_DOCKCOMPUTER;4000;   // distance to nearest vertex of station
SG_MAX_DISTANCE_BUILDCOMPLEX;20000;    // distance between selected factories
Your ship Your Python was destroyed in sector Split Fire by Spacefly.

Joman
x3tc

Post by Joman » Sat, 27. Mar 10, 19:51

so you can just go in and edit SG_MAX_VERTEXDIST_DOCKCOMPUTER to 999999999 and then you coudt dock from enyvere in the sector?
I know, i know. DONT blame me for my english.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”