Unable to use tractor beam

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Made in Hell
x3tc

Unable to use tractor beam

Post by Made in Hell » Sat, 27. Mar 10, 16:37

I'm having a trouble with tractor beam. The problem is that I don't know is it the fact that my ship doesn't have enough energy to power it or just that I don't know how to use weapons in X3:TC.

You see I installed TB on my Mercury Super Freighter (that I bought from an idiot npc for 15k xD) at first I couldn't find it and than realized that I installed it on my turret (no other option in MSF) but when I thought "problem solved" beam proved impossible to use anyway. I searched the forum for answers and also visited FAQ on that matter an yet still I'm unable to use it.

Because I thought that the way to solve it would be getting more "powah" to lasers I bought Magnetar from Argon shipyard (Since as a "military transport" vessel it should have more powerful weapons IMO). Still not working.

What am I doing wrong? Can anyone give me a clue or a forum topic titled "Using TB for dummies"? Also I think that telling me how to fire guns in X3:TC might be helpful since I skipped the combat training in the beginning of the game (As humble trader I didn't have any weapons anyway). And yes. I know how ridiculous this sounds... It was much easier in original X3 xP

{moved from TC Tech Support - Carlo}

Carlo the Curious
x4

Post by Carlo the Curious » Sat, 27. Mar 10, 16:51

The Mercury and the Magnetar have the same weapons energy - 850. To fire a TB you need at least 1000 (basically an M6 or larger, although a Caiman Miner will work).

http://www.egosoft.com/support/faq/faq_ ... &version=9

iirc, you have to use boresight fire (L CTRL by default, I think) to fire the tractor beam.

Made in Hell
x3tc

Post by Made in Hell » Sat, 27. Mar 10, 17:02

Ehh ;P wasted 450k xP. Well thanks for help :)

Greyhawk1
x3tc

Post by Greyhawk1 » Sat, 27. Mar 10, 17:55

I have it on a reliable Centaur. Works very well although it took me a while to figure out I had to fire it forward using the front guns then turn 180 degrees.

Bear of little brain :roll:

Carlo the Curious
x4

Post by Carlo the Curious » Sat, 27. Mar 10, 18:01

Greyhawk1 wrote:I have it on a reliable Centaur. Works very well although it took me a while to figure out I had to fire it forward using the front guns then turn 180 degrees.
In theory, you could just push rather than pull. Who needs to see where you're going when you're driving an asteroid :p.

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Sat, 27. Mar 10, 20:58

No theory, and as long as you have other ships targeted in monitors so you can see where you're going, you're perfectly fine.

Don't worry, the 450k isn't wasted, you can fill that ship with ore and then sell it for Profitsss.

Made in Hell
x3tc

Post by Made in Hell » Sat, 27. Mar 10, 21:37

Yeah I did that.
Anyway my plan of moving ore mine has been pushed aside for at least few days. I'll just focus on producing shields and weapons for now. Damn buying 1 mercury to transfer ore for shield/weapon production complex was cheaper than wasting that on TB ;).
Guess I'll transport some people (gawd those missions and ridiculously easy and well payed :D) sell some shields and buy myself a small fleet. And than... some main missions I guess :P FINALLY.

TTD
x4

Post by TTD » Sat, 27. Mar 10, 22:35

I have use the TB extensively on both a Skiron and Ryu.

Some ship specs say you can mount them but as above,you can't use them on low powered ships.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”