X - Beyond the Frontier / X-Tension

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Selkirk
x3tc

X - Beyond the Frontier / X-Tension

Post by Selkirk » Wed, 7. Apr 10, 21:21

I can't even start to install them. I have the X-Gold version and there is a Flash Menu at the start which lets you choose which game you want to install. Neither one works for me.

When I try to install directly using the setup.exe I get a message that looks roughly like this "Couldn't access the file. You may not have appropriate rights."

What is the problem here? I figure it must be something about my OS configuration because the CD is definitely okay and I can install other games without problems (I just installed the almost equally old Freelancer without any issues)

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Wed, 7. Apr 10, 21:30

It would be helpful to know what OS you're running.

And btw, Freelancer is much newer, in computer years, than X-BTF or X-Tension. Those were first released in 1999 and 2000, respectively. Freelancer is more concurrent with X2, which was released in 2003. And hence designed for the newer Windows OS's.

Anyway, what are you running?
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Selkirk
x3tc

Post by Selkirk » Wed, 7. Apr 10, 21:34

Windows XP Professional (Service Pack 3)

As Administrator.

I have no problems installing Baldur's Gate and Fallout 1. So I am really baffled by this. Never had such a problem so far.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Wed, 7. Apr 10, 21:40

Yeah, I don't know, either. Most people that install X-Gold in XP have no problems, from what I've read. I don't have X-Gold, myself, just the original releases, so I can't help you by testing it out. Sorry. But I'm sure someone will come along eventually who has done so and give you some advice. :)
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

Selkirk
x3tc

Post by Selkirk » Wed, 7. Apr 10, 21:45

Nanook wrote:Yeah, I don't know, either. Most people that install X-Gold in XP have no problems, from what I've read. I don't have X-Gold, myself, just the original releases, so I can't help you by testing it out. Sorry. But I'm sure someone will come along eventually who has done so and give you some advice. :)
I even found my original X-BtF copy (the one that I bought before X-Gold even was available). And I have the exact same problem with that CD as well.

That's why I am almost certain that the problem lies with my Setup.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Wed, 7. Apr 10, 21:56

Have you tried running the installer in compatibility mode, for, say, Windows 2000 or even 98SE?

Selkirk
x3tc

Post by Selkirk » Wed, 7. Apr 10, 22:03

Yes, I did. Same results.

tiberius0716

Post by tiberius0716 » Wed, 7. Apr 10, 22:53

I had this problem with some older games also.

I fixed it by installing through a C:\ prompt window. Or try using DOSBox which emulates older OSs

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Wed, 7. Apr 10, 23:19

You don't want DOSBox. The X games are all Windows based. They don't run in DOS.

If you've tried emulation modes and failed, then there may be something wrong with your setup, as you say. Could you post a DXDiag report for us to look at? If you don't know how to do that, there are stickies at the top of the various Tech Support forums detailing how to do it. But post it here, since there's no X-BTF or X-T tech support forum.

Selkirk
x3tc

Post by Selkirk » Thu, 8. Apr 10, 15:51

Just for future reference: solved the problem by formatting the drive and reinstalling Windows XP. Immediately after that I installed both X-BtF and X-Tension. Worked perfectly.

Brutal but effective.

Allan F
x3ap

Post by Allan F » Thu, 8. Apr 10, 16:08

Is there an Egosoft-nocd-patch?
Maverick: Requesting permission for flyby.
Air Boss Johnson: That's a negative ghostrider, the pattern is full.
Goose: No. No, Mav, this is not a good idea.
Maverick: Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz a Split.
Split: Split now give you .... Aaaarrriiiigh.

frymaster
x4

Post by frymaster » Thu, 8. Apr 10, 16:10

huh... wonder what was wrong

for the record, I've installed and run the games without issues in win7 64-bit, though you must not try to use a widescreen resolution as rather than give you extra info at the sides it chops off the top and bottom, so you miss some important details
Math problems? Call 0800-[(10x)(13i)^2]-[sin(xy)/2.362x]

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Thu, 8. Apr 10, 16:34

Allan F wrote:Is there an Egosoft-nocd-patch?
No.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Thu, 8. Apr 10, 21:08

frymaster wrote:huh... wonder what was wrong...
Sounds like he may have had a codec issue of some sort. Those can cause a number of issues, even with older games. A DXDiag probably would've revealed what needed to be fixed without a full reinstall of XP. But at least now he has a clean system. :wink:

norfred
x2

x-tension

Post by norfred » Thu, 6. May 10, 15:45

frymaster wrote:huh... wonder what was wrong

for the record, I've installed and run the games without issues in win7 64-bit, though you must not try to use a widescreen resolution as rather than give you extra info at the sides it chops off the top and bottom, so you miss some important details
did you have issues with x-tension in wide screen resolutions?
I am running 64 bit windows 7 and cannot start the game as it reports error in video. I also am unable to upgrade to 2.1 although it reports a successful upgrade.
norfred

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Thu, 6. May 10, 19:50

Again, it sounds like you have a codec issue of some sort. And a dxdiag report may help sort it out. If you don't know how to supply one, check the stickies in any of the other games' tech support forums. But post the dxdiag here, as there's no tech support forum for X-T or X-BTF.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”