Keybourd/Mouse/Stick setup

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Risky
xr

Keybourd/Mouse/Stick setup

Post by Risky » Fri, 9. Apr 10, 00:09

I was wondering how other people set up to play the game (X3TC at the moment but should apply to all).

When I first got X2 I got a Saitek Cyborg Evo which promptly gave me aches in my right hand due to some ergonomic issues (Nowhere to rest the lower fingers below the trigger - solved by taping a wine cork to the stick) and as I’m a developer by trade I thought I better learn to fly left-handed rather than risk any RSI issues on my mouse hand. Now the Evo had a central throttle so I could reach my right hand over to adjust this and I when I didn't need to I could strafe using the keyboard or select targets with the mouse.

Now I'm currently working away from home in the week and just got started X3TC and bought myself a nice new Cyborg X to stay up in London (and aG500 mouse for good measure). Thought the new stick is much better in terms of adjustability and ergonomics, it has the throttle control to the left of the base so if I fly left handed I have to reach right round behind the stick to trim the speed. I have switched the stick to the right of keyboard so the layout is now Keyboard-Mouse-Stick which I suppose makes more sense to most.

I think taking some time to get the right controls set on the stick would be the best approach, then I wouldn't need the keyboard so much, but I then with two stick to set up I keep putting it off. Then again sometimes I'm not looking to get into much combat in a session, particularly if I'm playing on the laptop when travelling (the XPS16 does rather well so far), I don't bother with the stick and play mouse and keyboard only.

Anyway, after all that I wondered how everyone else sorts it out?

Deadbeat_Spinn
x3tc

Post by Deadbeat_Spinn » Fri, 9. Apr 10, 00:19

I use a Cyborg Evo and have had no problems other than the FF being oddly absent when playing. Keyboard is an ergo, my mice are a trackball (for X, RTS's, net surfing, etc) and an optical (for FPS/Third person shooters since a trackball can't move fast enough), and a PS2 controller as my gamepad (for racing games).

But for X I use the stick, keyboard, and mouse (when need be).

Orion1632
x4

Post by Orion1632 » Fri, 9. Apr 10, 11:02

I use a saitek X52 Pro, and the keyboard.

The X52 is great, and it has so many slides and buttons that I can do most things with just the stick and throttle.

I even mapped Shift F to the slide, so that it'll be continuously pressed down for when I do those follow XXX missions.

And on another setting I have CTRL on a slide to press it down continuously.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Fri, 9. Apr 10, 13:47

I'm sure my Saitek Cyborg Evo has a hand rest at the bottom of the shaft? Anyway, I never use the throttle on the joystick anyway--I just turn off the "Use joystick throttle control" in the game launch dialog and use Z and X (plus occasionally Backspace and TAB) to set speed. (Note I use the joystick for normal flight control, I just don't use it for throttle--I find keyboard allows me to set speed more precisely).

Threesixtyci
x4

Post by Threesixtyci » Fri, 9. Apr 10, 22:19

I turn off the joystick wheel, too. Mainly, because it won't stay at zero; it kinda jumps all over the place. Also, I got tired of slamming into acquired ship due to me forgetting to put the throttle wheel back down, after using the space suit to claim ships.

The joystick I'm using is ancient. It's an old 2 button Ch flightstick (no hat, either) with CH pedals that I bought in the mid '90's. Which was long before USB. I have to plug them into an old SB Live value sound card that I have, because it's the only card I own that has the old fashion joystick connection on it. Don't use the card for sound, though, because the drivers haven't been updated since '02 or something, and it crackles with just about every modern game.

I don't really remember my keyboard bindings (haven't played the game in a long while.). I think I have throttle set up as E and D, and using the S and F keys for side staffing. I basically fly FPS style , except holding the joystick during flight, instead of the mouse.

cerfew
x3tc

Post by cerfew » Sat, 10. Apr 10, 05:26

I use a Cyborg X for pretty much only combat or other flying, and the throttle. I don't even use any of the 14 buttons other than the trigger...
So I use the keyboard for everything else, FPS style like threesixty.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”