[TC] Yet another IBL question

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

El-Kebabo
x3

Yet another IBL question

Post by El-Kebabo » Mon, 19. Apr 10, 15:26

OK, just bought my first M7 and need to kit it out with IBL's.

Only found Loohmawhatsit legacy so far that sells them - believe others are in Yaki space, but haven't found them yet - please don't tell!

Problem is that all stations in Loohma are red to me and undockable. Do I need to constantly ferry between the 2 pirate bases that are within 3 sectors of it hoping for a hacking 'mission', or will hanging around Loohma sector and blowing up things help my rating?

In the meantime, what would you recommend I fit out my tiger with while the wait for IBL's goes on? Anything that can harm a Xenon Q?

Tharaphita
x4

Post by Tharaphita » Mon, 19. Apr 10, 15:52

I recommend to find the stations owned by Yakis. They might have some Khaak around there for you to blow up. I Had to kill khaaks and some argon trader convoy in boronid space. (mission was given by lonely blue Yaki m4)

AL'42
x3tc

Post by AL'42 » Mon, 19. Apr 10, 16:00

For commonwealth ships, the 4 main capital ship killers are IBL, PPC, GC and IC.

The only one the Tiger takes is IBL. The Thresher also takes PPC, IC and the Shrike GC.

brucewarren
x3tc

Post by brucewarren » Mon, 19. Apr 10, 18:45

I'd get the loowotsist station hacked.

I was fortunate enough to possess the hub by the time I needed IBLs
so I used the trick of bringing friendly pirate station into range using two
gates then taking a hack station mission. If there are already friendly
pirate stations in range in your game then I would keep checking for a
hack mission.

You other option is to blow Pirate and Xenon Bigships and hope they
drop some IBLs

Bill Huntington
x3tc

Getting IBLs

Post by Bill Huntington » Mon, 19. Apr 10, 19:11

El-Kebabo, there are usually one or more pirate stations or pirates offering hacks in Acquistion or Sp. Grove. I've found that the most important factor in getting the hack offer is high pirate rep. Go to these sectors and check all the white lightbulbs for offers. If you get a Taxi mission to Loom, take that too. You can do missions for the pirates while waiting for the offer, increasing your odds.

Capping an Akuma is probably the fastest way to get IBLs, but it will drop your Yaki rep some, and usually that is hard to come by. If it is already high, then that is a good strategy.

In the longer term, you will want to get the Yaki IBL forges working for you by feeding them. I put in a complex to produce Energy, Ore, and Wheat to do that, and a higher level travel trader also. (The starter trader can't seem to figure out buying E low, and selling it to stations that need it.) This also keeps your Yaki rep high.

Getting a fully equipped Tiger into operation is worth the effort. Just a natural killer!
Bill in S.F., enjoying the game

El-Kebabo
x3

Post by El-Kebabo » Tue, 20. Apr 10, 06:42

Thanks guys. I guess it's ferrying pirates around until I can hack it (so to speak) and waiting for my enhanced Rapier explorer to find Yaki space and then starting the long road to acceptance.

Can't wait until the Tiger starts melting through Xenon caps! :twisted:

Eddis

Post by Eddis » Tue, 20. Apr 10, 13:28

AL'42 wrote:For commonwealth ships, the 4 main capital ship killers are IBL, PPC, GC and IC.

The only one the Tiger takes is IBL. The Thresher also takes PPC, IC and the Shrike GC.
Last time I used Ion Cannons vs. m2 ships I was quite disappointed, barely did any shield dmg. has this changed in 2.5?

AL'42
x3tc

Post by AL'42 » Tue, 20. Apr 10, 13:58

^ The Ion Cannon has the highest shield damage of any weapon.

I think you mean hull damage… yes, that is low for a capital weapon, but once the shields have gone the ship is often a sitting duck.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Wed, 21. Apr 10, 13:22

Either that or he's confusing Ion Cannons with Ion Disruptors, Ion Shard Railguns or Ion Pulse Generators. (Heck, how many ion weapons does one game NEED, anyway? :-)).

AgamemnonArgon
x3tc

Post by AgamemnonArgon » Wed, 21. Apr 10, 22:24

I must admit to being partial to Gauss cannons.
Argon Patriot and Battlemaster
Peace - Through Superior Firepower

Etolf
x3tc

Post by Etolf » Sun, 25. Apr 10, 20:38

AgamemnonArgon wrote:I must admit to being partial to Gauss cannons.
is that for breakfast, or, perhaps dinner? :P

argon_emperor
x4

Post by argon_emperor » Sun, 25. Apr 10, 23:37

Etolf wrote:
AgamemnonArgon wrote:I must admit to being partial to Gauss cannons.
is that for breakfast, or, perhaps dinner? :P
Probably desert ;)

Nothing like super accelerated slugs to munch on after your main course :P
[ external image ]
***modified***
"You can get more of what you want with kind words and a gun, than you can with just kind words" - Al Capone

fairywhipper

Post by fairywhipper » Mon, 26. Apr 10, 02:20

pjknibbs wrote:Either that or he's confusing Ion Cannons with Ion Disruptors, Ion Shard Railguns or Ion Pulse Generators. (Heck, how many ion weapons does one game NEED, anyway? :-)).

I like ion weapons, its a shame you can only use ion canons on big ships.

I think IBL are slightly overrated.
For potential damage value, it is high, but that also requires charging, and AI doesnt charge shots. I dont know why the most of the m7 class uses IBL, yet the production of IBL is limited in this manner.

AL'42
x3tc

Post by AL'42 » Mon, 26. Apr 10, 11:23

fairywhipper wrote:I dont know why the most of the m7 class uses IBL, yet the production of IBL is limited in this manner.
It’s a question of balance. Each ship has its pros and cons, otherwise no one would bother using the weak ships. As noted, Thresher can use PPC but is huge with low weapon energy, Shrike can use GC, superb turret coverage but worst weapon energy of the lot, and the others although faster with better energy need IBLs which are difficult to source. If you want a fast ship and high energy and IBLs you’re gonna have to work for it.

perkint
x3tc

Post by perkint » Mon, 26. Apr 10, 18:01

I don't find IBL's difficult to source. I am friendly with the Yaki and have complexes in Weaver's Tempest feeding the IBL fabs there. But I've not yet used this source!

I still have about 80 spare IBLs from Xenon farming and pirate capital boarding. Be friendly with the Yaki and buy them (slow way). Or, just go out and take them by force :twisted:

Tim
Struggling to find something from the forums - Google it!!! :D

El-Kebabo
x3

Post by El-Kebabo » Tue, 27. Apr 10, 00:07

Yes, but if you've just bought your first[/u] M7, (as I have) then you don't have the firepower or capability to Xenon farm or pirate cap to get IBL's. Getting friendly with the Yaki takes time, and the only other option I think is to feed Loohna's IBL plant.

Once you've got an M1 / M2 fleet then IBL's cease to be a problem, but until then it's still tricky - and rightly so.

Liked the two sentence post describing the different M7's by the way - more concise and less ranty than most other long winded descriptions!! But I digress.[/quote]

plynak
x3tc

Post by plynak » Thu, 29. Apr 10, 12:04

I still do not understand why it was made that the best M7 weapon (excluding the Tresher) is also the one you usually can not get. How do NPC get these guns? I do not think Argons or Paranids are so friendly with Yaki? In my game I have been able to get only 10 IBLs. 6 from my first (and so far last) boarding and 4 as a drop. This was enough to fit my Panther. All other of my M7s have to use CIGs and other lesser guns :-(
Last edited by plynak on Thu, 29. Apr 10, 12:23, edited 1 time in total.
Intel Core i5 4590, 2 x 8GB DDR3 1600, MSI GTX 1060 Armor, Asus H97 Pro, Asus Xonar DG, Crucial MX100 128GB SSD + 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Seasonic S12G 550W, Corsair 550D, 22'' LG

Kor'ah
x4

Post by Kor'ah » Thu, 29. Apr 10, 12:18

Yes it is goofy that everyone uses, or carries, IBLs. Capturing random (except terran) M1/M2 ships is the best source of IBLs in the game. One will drop 20+ in your lap. If you only need them in smallish (4-8 ) numbers then the Loomanstrats IBL factory, and some patience, will do the trick.
[X3] Guide to training CAG and CLS1&2 pilots
[X3T] Guide to training CAG and CLS1&2 pilots in Terran Conflict

The mercenary code
There is no right or wrong.
There is no good or evil.
There is only the will of the client, and how much they're paying.

plynak
x3tc

Post by plynak » Thu, 29. Apr 10, 12:26

The problem is that this factory is usually destroyed before I even get close to that sector. It is not there in my game :(
Intel Core i5 4590, 2 x 8GB DDR3 1600, MSI GTX 1060 Armor, Asus H97 Pro, Asus Xonar DG, Crucial MX100 128GB SSD + 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Seasonic S12G 550W, Corsair 550D, 22'' LG

AL'42
x3tc

Post by AL'42 » Thu, 29. Apr 10, 12:32

plynak wrote:I still do not understand why it was made that the best M7 weapon (excluding the Tresher) is also the one you usually can not get
Well you just have to get friendly with the Yaki, problem solved. Making friends is actually pretty easy as has been noted in many threads. And the Yaki are a powerful ally, unique in the game in that they hate everyone with the player being the only exception. That makes their sectors a protected zone for you, I always set up home there, safe from all enemies, bye bye police, bye bye bounty hunters, other pirates, enemy races, they all get whacked poof gone :) And some of their ships are great fun too :)

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”