Ion Disruptor

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

johnnywas
x3tc

Ion Disruptor

Post by johnnywas » Mon, 19. Apr 10, 23:16

i tried these in a capping expedition and although they did reduce the shields and leave the hull intact - they didn't seem to cause any damage to the ships speed or weaponry

aren't they meant to ?

is it rather infrequent or is there a technique to be had

Cpt.Jericho
x3tc

Post by Cpt.Jericho » Mon, 19. Apr 10, 23:26

The ID has only effect on shields and equipment; I prefer PBEs for capping. They do not much harm to the hull but there's a chance that some guns or even shields are left over when the pilot bails. The ID has another side-effect: Ships closeby can be caught by the lightningbolt an get angry. I used the ID last time in X2 - for catching spaceflies...
Winner of 350 Mil class of X-Verse Fleet Fest Italiano
Boycotting Steam since 2003

Catra

Post by Catra » Tue, 20. Apr 10, 00:04

ion pulse generators / ion cannons affect the speed of the ship, ion disruptors simply just bounce around.

Cpt.Jericho
x3tc

Post by Cpt.Jericho » Tue, 20. Apr 10, 00:08

Ion Shard Railguns drain - so have I heard - the weaponsenergy of your enemy.
Winner of 350 Mil class of X-Verse Fleet Fest Italiano
Boycotting Steam since 2003

Catra

Post by Catra » Tue, 20. Apr 10, 00:28

ion shard railguns drain 50 weapon energy per hit.

ion cannons also drain weapon energy in addition to slowing( 500 or so per hit.)

Threesixtyci
x4

Post by Threesixtyci » Tue, 20. Apr 10, 00:59

ID's do destroy onboard equipment and weapons, but it takes a real long time and is completely random of when and what gets destroyed. Doesn't help that only a very limited number of ships in TC can equip the laser.

You also have to be careful with them, because the beam arcs from object to object and can kill your hi-dollar space-bound marines.

Catra

Post by Catra » Tue, 20. Apr 10, 01:06

id hardly call every argon / boron ship, plus yaki and pirate capitals and split TS / TPs "very limited" :P

also, the Ion-D can bounce off the shrapnel produced by the clusterflak array, increasing its range :D

Threesixtyci
x4

Post by Threesixtyci » Tue, 20. Apr 10, 21:09

You may want to check Argon ships again... not every Argon ship can equip them in TC. M6 class, especially.

Reunion had a much bigger list of ships that could equip them.

Threesixtyci
x4

Post by Threesixtyci » Wed, 21. Apr 10, 02:25

My bad. I just took a look when I got home (right now...) and I could have sworn that there were more ships in TC that couldn't equip ID's. I was remembering wrong.

Although, I still think it's messed up that none of the split ships can equip ID's and yet they sell those firefly capture devices and buy fireflies. Seems odd that the only way you can stun them for capture is with an ID and none of their fighter class ships can equip it.... only TM and TS seem to be able to on the rear turret.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”