how do i get past these damn squash mines!!!?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

MercenaryBebop
x2

how do i get past these damn squash mines!!!?

Post by MercenaryBebop » Sat, 21. Feb 04, 18:13

This is really starting to ANNOY me. Brenan's gate.. squash mines everywhere.. I've got 10 mosquito missiles - WHERE EVER I fire makes NO difference...

What the hell is going on?

joebeard
x3

Post by joebeard » Sat, 21. Feb 04, 18:17

Use a fighter drone or some mosquito missiles. Aproach slowly but don't come within about a kilometre until you've wiped out all the squash mines on one side. You don't need to take them all out as all you need to do is get within 60 metres of the central bits of the nacels (where the target indicator is when you select them)

joebeard
x3

Post by joebeard » Sat, 21. Feb 04, 18:18

Ah I see you used missiles...heh, I used a fighter drone, then a few wasp missiles.

masterk
x3

fly into them

Post by masterk » Sat, 21. Feb 04, 18:20

didnt dent my shields, i was only in a centaur with 2x125mw.

joebeard
x3

Post by joebeard » Sat, 21. Feb 04, 18:21

yes well for the rest of us who didn't build up an armada before embarking on the story missions, there's always wasp missiles!

NeverSnake
x3tc

Post by NeverSnake » Sat, 21. Feb 04, 18:25

Target a SQUASH mine and then fire a single missile at it (If you fire them too quickly the'll blow each other up). When the missile has hit (bring up your monitors using F5 to watch the missile) fire another one and that mine should die.

Repeat until you can't target any more mines.

Being within 5KM of the mines helps.

Gilesey
x3tc

Post by Gilesey » Sat, 21. Feb 04, 19:16

Took me a while to do this as well. Kept getting blown up in my little Discoverer. You only need a couple of missiles. Targetting the right Squash mine will cause a chain reaction and clear half the area for you.

Each mine has a different code when you target it - make a note of the ones that cause the chain reaction and you should be able to clear the lot with only 2 missiles.

Just do it from a distance as I learned to my cost several times.

DanishEagle
x3tc

Post by DanishEagle » Sat, 21. Feb 04, 19:41

I had my share of problems as well in my Disco, just thaught i would share them and the solutions as well.

When i fired my mosquitos father away than 2 km, my missiles missed, and if i fired within 2 km i was blown to stardust, finally i gave up, and found a place to buy fighterdrones.

2 of them did the trick. I didn't clear all the mines. I parked within 7 km of the narcel, ejected my drone, and the gave the drone order to attack the nearest mine. That led a path so i could fly closer and then do my spacewalk. I repeated the whole thing on the other narcel to get the scan.

DanishEagle

Prosthetic Head
x3

Post by Prosthetic Head » Sun, 22. Feb 04, 01:22

:( i just sold 2 pirate ships full to the brim with drones - gonna have to buy some now, lucky my spp in kingdoms end is just starting to do well cause im almost outta cash from buying a fully upgraded mako.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Sun, 22. Feb 04, 01:29

Just for the hell of it I'm going to post my alternate method for completing this mission.

Make sure you have a ship with a reasonable amount of shielding. I'm not sure exactly how much is required as I was flying a Nova with 3x25Mw, but judging by the very light damage I took I'd say 2x5Mw would be enough.

Approach the gate until you are able to start targeting mines using PageUp/PageDown, and get a good feel for where the nearest ones are. Fly to just within firing range of the nearest mine, making sure there are no other mines closer by cycling the targets. Shoot the mine with your lasers and sit tight until the chain reaction it sets off has completed.

Back out of the minefield and approach again from a different angle, then repeat as above until there are no mines left.

It is slower than the missile method, and slightly more dangerous, but you don't have to spend any money on missiles and you get a real sense of achievement when you can finally get close enough to the gate to examine the nacelles.

NeverSnake
x3tc

Post by NeverSnake » Sun, 22. Feb 04, 02:29

Or if you've put the missions off then you can probably just drive your TL through it with no problems. A Hired TL might work just as well.

MercenaryBebop
x2

Post by MercenaryBebop » Sun, 22. Feb 04, 16:37

Thanks for the reply guys. I haven't yet tried to follow the exact advice yet to complete the mission (because i was so angry with the mission after several hours of getting no where i gave up on the game).

Previously i was getting within about 3 or 4km of the sqaush mines and targeting them with my mosquito missiles. However one would fly in, dart around and then seemingly impact on the gate or miss completely. When i checked the sector map after targetting the mines, and depleting my 10 missile supply, the SAME number of mines would still be present! Any attempt to weave in and out of them in my spacesuit met with a swift death too.

I'm not likeing the missing at all. I had to back track for around 30 minutres just to find some mosquitoes, now it looks like i'll have to back track again to find some fighter drones 9which i'm not even sure i can afford!).. argh.

kyk_chan
x2

Post by kyk_chan » Mon, 23. Feb 04, 01:39

I've had the same problem for a while...totaled by DISCO for a few times
then i just got angry in the end and lauched all my 10 mosquitos at random mines...and with some luck i did managed to set off a chain reaction.

It is possible to hit the mines with a missile at around 3km or so, the hit rate isn't impressive but then it's just one way of dealing with it :)

Falaris
x3tc

Post by Falaris » Mon, 23. Feb 04, 11:06

Kind of odd, I just used regular mosquitos and they hit 3 out of 4 times.

Just have to be within about 8 km. (keep the monitors up on target view and missile view.. sometimes the missile circles a bit before hitting, sometimes it misses. You're not in a rush, no need to fire off several missiles at one before on hits.. oh, and if you run the fast time thing, they *WILL* miss.).

grapedog
x4

Post by grapedog » Mon, 23. Feb 04, 15:16

Also, if you run out of missles or need more for whatever reason, there is a Mosquito Missle factory north of Elenas Fortune, I think in that Olamankets Something-or-other...

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”