Can't Scan small asteroids

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Dijad

Can't Scan small asteroids

Post by Dijad » Wed, 28. Apr 10, 04:29

For some reason, I can't scan small asteroids. I'm in my startup mercury, bought the MML, MS and OC. While I can scan the larger asteroids, the smaller ones dont have the option, just brings up the option for putting it on moniter display. This is rather annoying, as I have to "guesstimate" whether or not a rock is collectable which has led to some ship damage in some cases. I'm using the steam version of X3: terran conflict, 2.6. Any help would be appreciated

Catra

Post by Catra » Wed, 28. Apr 10, 04:40

small asteroids already tell you their content in the target info box(normally its I), even without the mineral scanner. also, the small ones dont have yields since yields are used for mines math to figure out how much is produced per cycle(since small ones cant support mines, no need for yields).

to collect it, youll need to shoot at it with a laser / missile (drilling system not required for small ones, a regular IRE can do the job) untill it breaks up, then shoot those broken parts up, -then- you should be able to collect it fine(still takin shield damage = another break part step then collection).

Dijad

Post by Dijad » Wed, 28. Apr 10, 04:55

Well, for some reason it says in the manual the mineral scanner is useful for mobile mining, as it will give one valuable information about scanned asteroids. Also, I found an old guide that said the mineral scanner was suppossed to tell you "is collectable yes" or "is collectable no". This leads me to believe the scanner has gotten bugged at some point.

Catra

Post by Catra » Wed, 28. Apr 10, 05:12

Well, for some reason it says in the manual the mineral scanner is useful for mobile mining, as it will give one valuable information about scanned asteroids
probably referring to the revealing of the mineral type of big asteroids.
Also, I found an old guide that said the mineral scanner was suppossed to tell you "is collectable yes" or "is collectable no".
what guide?

Dijad

Post by Dijad » Wed, 28. Apr 10, 05:22

http://www.facts-games.net/Board/index. ... topic=1522

Here. I actually read this before buying the game, here is a direct quote "Be careful when you are collecting the rocks, there may be some bigger pieces that are not collectable. Check each one with the "i" for info key before collecting it.

Also be careful with distances as perspective can be a bit deceptive. Make sure by checking using "t" to check the distances of the rocks around you then "i" to check if it is collectable."
Also
"Scan the pieces and if they are "Is collectable yes" then fly up slowly - like 5 meters per second - and when you are close open the cargo bay doors using the "o" command and run over the object then stop"

Catra

Post by Catra » Wed, 28. Apr 10, 05:50

heh, you bought the wrong game then, as that guide is for X3: reunion ^_^.
also, that feature has been taken out of TC.

Dijad

Post by Dijad » Wed, 28. Apr 10, 05:59

Interesting that something so useful would be removed. Oh well, guess this means I'll just have to buy better shielding. One more question, can wares drones collect the rocks and bring them to your ship, if not, is there a mod that has drones that do this?

Catra

Post by Catra » Wed, 28. Apr 10, 06:31

it only sounds useful.

no, drones cant. no mod changes this.

Threesixtyci
x4

Post by Threesixtyci » Wed, 28. Apr 10, 20:38

Just about everyone lets the AI handle the rock collecting, so I suspect the dropped feature of collectible or not collectible wasn't noticed. I know, I didn't notice it, anyway.

As for ship damage, I'm guessing you don't have all the slots filled with shields. Either that or you were wide open.

And being that their is no collision detection when you are out of a sector, the AI does a better job of collecting rocks when you are not in-sector, with it. Other wise it too will get shield damage and it too needs max shielding to avoid hull damage (like three or four 25MJ shields, worth.)

GBlair4811
x4

Post by GBlair4811 » Wed, 28. Apr 10, 22:14

Yeh the best way to mine is to get a fleet and ST sized transport ship and have them all do it in a different sector than the one you are in. Theres no collisions out of sector.

AgamemnonArgon
x3tc

Post by AgamemnonArgon » Thu, 29. Apr 10, 20:30

Yeah, it sure is the best way. Buy ten or twenty TS tpyes, preferable Superfreighters, put an Ore Collector on and set them to work for you.
Saves lots of time and problems
Argon Patriot and Battlemaster
Peace - Through Superior Firepower

Dijad

Post by Dijad » Fri, 30. Apr 10, 03:49

"it only sounds useful" My my catra, you are rather insistent that I'm wrong. :P How would not knowing whether or not an asteroid your about to try to collect is going to damage your ship be a good thing? :o thy logic seems.....illogical. :twisted:

Catra

Post by Catra » Fri, 30. Apr 10, 06:40

Dijad wrote:"it only sounds useful" My my catra, you are rather insistent that I'm wrong. :P How would not knowing whether or not an asteroid your about to try to collect is going to damage your ship be a good thing? :o thy logic seems.....illogical. :twisted:
ofcourse i think your wrong(in a good way), cause my take on it is different(that and i usually hand out half arsed answers(like that one) late at night). :) :D

with X - mobile mining, it isnt some cheesy laser draining a nonchanging asteroid model, its you physically blowing it to pieces multiple times over, when you figure out the "pickupable" size of the chunks the feature loses purpose(ok, yes, it is useful for when you dont know what youre doing the first gazillion times :P ).

it can be a good thing, as Xtreme mining with a 1MW shield (or no shields at all) can be quite the rush at times and break the monotony :P :twisted:

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”