[WIP][Script] Electronic Diary - looking for ideas for added components.

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

mark_a_condren
x3tc

[WIP][Script] Electronic Diary - looking for ideas for added components.

Post by mark_a_condren » Wed, 5. May 10, 17:49

Hi all,

Based on a request by lordmuck, i'm working on a basic Elictronic Diary script. Request and discussion can be found here.

At the moment it is very limited in it's application and use. it is basically only doing what was asked for in the original request. That is.

It keeps an eye on your current credit balance and when it reaches a preset level as entered in the diary it sends you a audio sound (a beep for now) and an incoming message via your log book. (yes lordmuck, the little flashing envelope down the bottom)

The checking at present is just done by a script that runs with a 5min wait in it that checks your credits against values in the diary array. This then triggers the audio and log entry if you are over the preset check amounts.

lordmuck's idea of a ching ching cartoon money sound is on hold at the moment, i'm just using sounds already available to the game so i don't have to import any.

There is the possability of just adding text messages to the diary, this however is already possable via the vanilla log book. Even if you can't delete them. But i don't think this is a very often used feature and would possably be used even less in something like this.

However, i can see this having limited application after only a short time. So i'm looking for any added features or ideas that will fit into this type of script.

So if you have any ideas, lets hear em.

MarCon

Killjaeden
x3tc

Post by Killjaeden » Wed, 5. May 10, 17:56

Diary? Well you can already write down notes in your logbook so...

Perhaps setting a Cr-watcher ... You turn it on, it notes your credits and gives you the +/- and the time it watches so far? (slow updating, like 30sek or so)
[ external image ]
X-Tended TC Mod Team Veteran.
Modeller of X3AP Split Acinonyx, Split Drake, Argon Lotan, Teladi Tern. My current work:

mark_a_condren
x3tc

Post by mark_a_condren » Wed, 5. May 10, 18:08

Killjaeden
Killjaeden wrote:Diary? Well you can already write down notes in your logbook so...
MarCon wrote:There is the possability of just adding text messages to the diary, this however is already possable via the vanilla log book. Even if you can't delete them. But i don't think this is a very often used feature and would possably be used even less in something like this.
Killjaeden wrote:Perhaps setting a Cr-watcher ... You turn it on, it notes your credits and gives you the +/- and the time it watches so far? (slow updating, like 30sek or so)
This is basically what it does now just not every 30sec or so, at the moment it's every 5min. I didn't think it needed to be to intensly accurate.

EDIT: It would probably be better named as a 'credit watcher', rather than an "Electronic Diary" at the moment.

MarCon

Locksley
x3tc

Re: [WIP][Script] Electronic Diary - looking for ideas for added components.

Post by Locksley » Wed, 5. May 10, 18:18

mark_a_condren wrote:Hi all,
<snip>
There is the possability of just adding text messages to the diary, this however is already possable via the vanilla log book. Even if you can't delete them. But i don't think this is a very often used feature and would possably be used even less in something like this.
<snip>
MarCon
I'll just comment on this one for now.
One does not use the vanilla log book because it is a PITA finding the message again.
It could be written messages that you put a timer on.
It could be written messages that expands into trees, so that you can add info later under a branch as to not clutter up the Electronic Diary (actually I liked your misspelling in the OP better - Elictronic Diary&#153; that sounds snazy and truly inventive :D )
It could tag written messages - some kind of search function.

Well, there just isn't anything ingame at the moment that really works if you want to keep notes - you will have to write it on the side and hopefully you haven't thrown 'em away if you go on a hiatus.

But that's just me - but you did say you wanted some input :P

Cheers!
Projects:
Onhold..... time time....

dillpickle
x3tc

Post by dillpickle » Wed, 5. May 10, 18:41

I would find it useful if it had the ability to save messages from the incoming message log.

The problem with the log is the inability to selectively delete messages, you either have them all, or delete them all. Some messages - plot ones for example are useful as reference to what you should be doing, but they get lost amongst the general messages, and eventually drop off the bottom.

If you could store them in your Electronic Diary, that would be great, no more scrolling through hundreds of useless messages to find what you want.

mark_a_condren
x3tc

Post by mark_a_condren » Wed, 5. May 10, 18:41

Locksley
One does not use the vanilla log book because it is a PITA finding the message again.
Here here, i couldn't agree more !!!!
It could be written messages that expands into trees, so that you can add info later under a branch as to not clutter up the Electronic Diary
Now your making me think, and do you know how much that hurts?
But this is a possability, thanks.
(actually I liked your misspelling in the OP better - Elictronic Diary™ that sounds snazy and truly inventive )
You know thats going to stick now, don't you!
But that's just me - but you did say you wanted some input
That's the idea of this thread, add ideas. Keep em coming.

dillpickle

I don't think you can get logbook entries to copy over. You would have to enter them into the Diary manually. But you would only need to copy the ones you wanted over in brief.

MarCon

OOZ662
x4

Post by OOZ662 » Wed, 5. May 10, 19:13

I remember there being a schmaultzy cha-ching sound, but you'd have to wade through a few hours (at least) of audio to find it...and I could just be remembering incorrectly. :P

lordmuck
x4

Post by lordmuck » Wed, 5. May 10, 19:15

lordmuck's idea of a ching ching cartoon money sound is on hold at the moment, i'm just using sounds already available to the game so i don't have to import any.
ROFL A thought just came to mind while playing and using a script to find some PRG's for the mystrals (SP?).
As you can keep track of players credits can a script keep track of for example in this case PSG's. I had basically emptied most stations of this wear. 5-10 mins pass and I recheck each station through a script. So the thought is this , what if with in this E-diary we can select a wear have a ding thing and station+sector message.
OR
*add ship* to E-diary (this ship is the one who wants some goods)
*add wear*
once wear appears in stock
*message/beep*
and button
*Purchase wear*
list of stations with wear comes up click a station and away the ship goes (automated e-cell purchasing for jump distance? or leave it to the player)

I think this idea to me is more of an atmospheric addition as to the usefulness its like having a personal secretary checking up on funds and orders lol and also for those who are like me have a memory of a gold fish and forget what they was about to do next.

EDIT: about the memory of the gold fish which is 3 seconds. I was gonna add something else and totally forgot....

EDIT2: I remember now...
Thank you mark_a_condren for looking into this idea further :)

mark_a_condren
x3tc

Post by mark_a_condren » Wed, 5. May 10, 19:31

lordmuck

Automated product purchasing may be a little out of the scope of this script at the moment, but some of what you said may have merit.
EDIT2: I remember now...
Thank you mark_a_condren for looking into this idea further
Your welcome.....'Gold fish'

MarCon

lordmuck
x4

Post by lordmuck » Thu, 6. May 10, 17:13

You know as this is like a E-diary or "resource manager" or reminder thingy.

Another thought occurred to me while playing today. I got my hands on an aegir(SP?) anyway I was using the MAMS in turrets(also MARS), I said to my self "now how the hell will I know that Im running out of ammo as im only using them in turrets I cannot see the ammo amount and what IF I use a ship for OOS that uses AMMO ? how will I know that they are nearly or ran out of ammo?

so as has been stated before we can keep track of items/credits could the script also:

MSG the player/sound
*Ship name* in *sector* is at *X* amount of ammo.
( X amount would be an amount set by the player for the low ammo warning)

Then:
question:
*Would you like to resupply ship*
Yes/No
*Which ship would you like to use*
(this would bring up a list of ships that the player can add or remove ships from this list, this list would be players supply ships.)

Then as the script knows which ammo is needed it should then do a quick search for stations with ammo in stock
(or have the ship sent by option to a players supply station if the player has any)

something like that anyway.. just more ideas and thoughts

EDIT1: The script would have something like *Add ship to keep track of ammo/missiles stock*

so It would not eat up computer resources by looking after 2000000 ships that might not be using ammo/missiles LOL

mark_a_condren
x3tc

Post by mark_a_condren » Thu, 6. May 10, 18:36

lordmuck
Another thought occurred to me while playing today.
You get to PLAY ????? :o Not fair!!! :D

Reading through it sounds like a great idea, however, if you start to think it through a bit further, this would be a whole script just on it's own, rather than being part of the E diary.

Fell free to explain this to someone who doesn't use this command very much, but doesn't the vanilla 'supply command software' do something like this?

It's been to long since i just sat and played for a reasonable amount of time and got back in the swing of how all the stuff in the game works already. :(

So just how long does it take to get 2000000 ships? :P My game tends to run in the background while i script and at the moment i have more credits and wares in stock at FDN and PM's than i know what to do with. I have a sector full of ships that i have just sitting there until i find something for then to do, it looks like a second hand/used ship yard.

MarCon

lordmuck
x4

Post by lordmuck » Thu, 6. May 10, 20:28

Well if you count satellites as ships :P that's about 300 already 1 for each sector :P haha

The vanilla supply is ..well....has its issues / poor. Yes you can supply E-cells OR missiles OR ammo one command at a time and of course the supplying ship might have to do 3 jumps back and fourth for buying goods. (yes there are a good amount of fleet supply scripts out and about in S&M sticky)
, but having ALL in ONE with some more automation would be more friendly and less hair pulling tantrums coz like I said so far (unless im blind) there is no notifications for OOS ships being out of ammo or even the ships flying next to you protecting or whatever they would be doing.

But all this is just rough ideas. Now go get your fleet and wage war on the paranids, do not script untill GOD gives up spawning them :p lol

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”