Need help finding an asteroid retexture mod.

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

FellOffTheLearningCurve

Need help finding an asteroid retexture mod.

Post by FellOffTheLearningCurve » Thu, 6. May 10, 03:47

I know one exists, as I've seen it before, however Search nor visiting other mods I use (thought it was linked off one of the pages perhaps) leads me to it. Nor is it in the modding library at the top. So does anyone know where the mod is that retextures asteroids to have a reduction in polys? Or what it's specifically called? I'm starting to get major lag when playing X3 and part of it is while in asteroid belts, so I assume it's the asteroids.

OOZ662
x4

Post by OOZ662 » Thu, 6. May 10, 03:53

A few rows down. Click the "website" link to choose between low-poly and lower-poly asteroids. I prefer the former.

http://www.[blocked due to google malware warning]/x3tc/index.php

FellOffTheLearningCurve

Post by FellOffTheLearningCurve » Thu, 6. May 10, 04:04

Yup, that's exactly the one I'm looking for. Thanks!

Any idea if it's save compatible? I would think so as (to my knowledge) all it changes is some textures, however I've been surprised with "Couldn't load this save" messages before.

Edit: Actually no that one doesn't seem to work. The .spk file is corrupt or some such; wont' load with the plugin manager.
Last edited by FellOffTheLearningCurve on Thu, 6. May 10, 04:07, edited 1 time in total.

OOZ662
x4

Post by OOZ662 » Thu, 6. May 10, 04:07

I've never had an issue with it. :) Save incompatibility is notorious in the realm of ship models and Types files.

FellOffTheLearningCurve

Post by FellOffTheLearningCurve » Thu, 6. May 10, 04:08

Ok well I editted my above post but doubt you saw it (as it was after you replied).
Edit: Actually no that one doesn't seem to work. The .spk file is corrupt or some such; wont' load with the plugin manager.
So is there another mod that's more up to date/working that does the same thing?

OOZ662
x4

Post by OOZ662 » Thu, 6. May 10, 04:12

Pish on SPKs. They really don't suit mods. False patch it.

Low
Lower

Make sure you keep a list of everything you don't install via SPK for later reference, like so.

FellOffTheLearningCurve

Post by FellOffTheLearningCurve » Thu, 6. May 10, 04:16

So how do I false patch something? Just stick it in my main directory or do I have to run something?

OOZ662
x4

Post by OOZ662 » Thu, 6. May 10, 04:21

In your game's install directory, you'll find quite a few .cat/.dat file pairs. If you're running v2.6 with no mods installed, there will be 10 pairs. In that case, rename the mod's files to 11.cat/11.dat and copy them to the directory. If there are more, just add one and plop it in. If you look at my personal list of installed mods linked above ("like so") you'll see the numbering starts at 11; that's why. ;)

More background info as to why scraped from another thread:
OOZ662 wrote:The game operates as follows during startup: load 01.cat/.dat. Load 02 replacing any duplicate files from 01. Load 03 replacing any duplicate files from 02. Load 04 replacing any duplicate files from 03. ect. The highest numbered .cat/.dat pair has the highest "priority." Finally, the game loads the folders in the install directory, replacing any duplicates found in the mods, meaning unpacked files have the highest priority of all.
EDIT: If you can't see file extensions, go to your folder options in the control panel and uncheck "Hide known file extensions" or somesuch.

FellOffTheLearningCurve

Post by FellOffTheLearningCurve » Thu, 6. May 10, 04:24

Evidently I've installed 5 other mods in a similar fashion, as I'm on 16 now. Any way to tell which mod it is by the dat pack? I know one is a missile rebalance bit, another is probably MARS, and yet another Repair Lasers, but no idea as to which one. Didn't know I needed to keep track lol.

OOZ662
x4

Post by OOZ662 » Thu, 6. May 10, 04:28

FellOffTheLearningCurve wrote:another is probably MARS, and yet another Repair Lasers, but no idea as to which one.
Well, whichever one has the highest number of these two is the one that's working. :) I believe they both alter TShips (though I don't really recognize a "repair lasers" mod), so whichever is highest up is the one being used.

An experienced modder could probably crack each open and tell you what it is, but unless the modder was nice enough to leave a token file in it with its name (most of us simply forget to I think :oops:), it'd be pretty hard to pin down. That's why it's important to keep track. I know I didn't learn my lesson until after about 3 reinstalls of Reunion. :D

FellOffTheLearningCurve

Post by FellOffTheLearningCurve » Thu, 6. May 10, 04:30

Oh well, I'll just roll with it I reckon. Seems that everything is working relatively well any how.

So I got the low poly version installed, loaded it up fine, but I'm not really a big fan of how they look and it doesn't seem to have improved performance much at all. Do I uninstall it by just deleting the files I just installed? Or will they have overwritten some vanilla stuff?

OOZ662
x4

Post by OOZ662 » Thu, 6. May 10, 04:32

FellOffTheLearningCurve wrote:Do I uninstall it by just deleting the files I just installed? Or will they have overwritten some vanilla stuff?
Yep. The point of a fake patch is that nothing is overwritten.

FellOffTheLearningCurve

Post by FellOffTheLearningCurve » Thu, 6. May 10, 04:36

Great, thanks for all the help!

Markhor

low poly asteroids...?

Post by Markhor » Sat, 22. May 10, 19:41

did a search for 'asteroid'. didn't quite find it.

something that makes asteroids less polygonal. it really bogs down my computer in places like PTNI HQ. Other places are bad as well, like SCG. But, most factory sectors are just dandy; PoE says 'roids do it.

Anyone got it by chance?
Go into the sand, and the dust, and the sky
Go now, there's no better plan, than to do or to die
Free me, pray to the fayth in the face of the light
Feed me, fill me with sin, and get ready to fight

Requiemfang
x4

Post by Requiemfang » Sat, 22. May 10, 19:45

http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php? ... +asteroids

there you go :P 6th post down gives you a med and low option for roids :D

{There we go. :) jlehtone}

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”