god damn asteroids and stupid AI flight paths.

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

RENN357
x3tc

god damn asteroids and stupid AI flight paths.

Post by RENN357 » Sat, 8. May 10, 02:35

hey all,

its been a while since i last played X3:TC but i've been getting back into it again. A while back i posted something asking if anyone knows anything about collision mods? I'm so damn sick of my ships flying into other ships, or flying into asteroids and I just wondered if anyones come up with a clever mod to fix that.

something that alters the AI of flight navigation or something perhaps?

if anyone can help with something like this that would be great. recently started an argon trader game-start and my discoverer just disappeared all of a sudden. I never noticed until it was too late.

sad times.

p.s - some trading tips are also welcome :P

OOZ662
x4

Post by OOZ662 » Sat, 8. May 10, 02:53

Alkeena(I think) put out a mod that basically surrounds the ship with invisible "parts" so that it thinks it bigger and avoids sooner...however, it makes ships wallow about if they get stuck between objects, sometimes interferes with docking, and hasn't been finished in the sense of bugfixing.

RENN357
x3tc

Post by RENN357 » Sat, 8. May 10, 11:44

thanks dude,

its so strange that there hasn't been more done to fix this. totally annoying that egosoft haven't done more in their patches to fix it. Still, i'll check it out.

Am i really the only person who finds it to be such a problem?

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Sat, 8. May 10, 14:21

I also dream about cool fights in asteroid fields, but I'm a realist, so If nobody come up with miracle idea, there is no chance with this game engine :(

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sat, 8. May 10, 14:34

Lots of people know how the AI pathfinding for a single ship could be improved to avoid static objects but if that is to be applied to all ships in the sector where the Player is IS and then also to their dynamic course interactions then you would see the game grind to a halt because of the single core load on a home computer just to do the necessary maths crunching (nevermind keeping the rest of the X-universe going).

As mr.WHO said, the AI is as good as it will get with this game engine.

ezra-r
x4

Post by ezra-r » Sat, 8. May 10, 17:41

you can join the fun and let egosoft know in here:

http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=277056

and in here:

http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=276999

OOZ662
x4

Post by OOZ662 » Sat, 8. May 10, 20:12

RENN357 wrote:its so strange that there hasn't been more done to fix this. totally annoying that egosoft haven't done more in their patches to fix it. Still, i'll check it out.

Am i really the only person who finds it to be such a problem?
The problem isn't finding people who want to fix it, it's finding a method to do so.

Patholos
x4

Post by Patholos » Wed, 26. May 10, 16:43

With fighters and corvettes the problems arent that apparent, it gets alot worse when you get your destroyer fleet going and half of it autopillocks into stations, asteroids or their wingbuddies. :roll:

Gridsystem, based on strict vectors where your wings preset formation and vectorcoordinates gets transferred to the next position if you jump or select move position? Or is this what we have now :oops:

OOZ662
x4

Post by OOZ662 » Wed, 26. May 10, 21:34

Patholos wrote:Gridsystem, based on strict vectors where your wings preset formation and vectorcoordinates gets transferred to the next position if you jump or select move position? Or is this what we have now :oops:
You mean like each sector having virtual "lanes" for traffic to follow? I suppose that's possible, but rather problematic since the sector is always changing. If another capital ship was in the "lane," you'd be stuck with the same system we have now when they interacted with each other.

What we have now is best visualized as a "big stick with a button on the end." It's kinda like how the blind see minus the human intelligence. Wave the big stick around out in front. If the button gets pushed, turn to one side, go that way for a while, and turn back. Repeat.

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”