Tractorbeam

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Gyakuto

Tractorbeam

Post by Gyakuto » Sat, 8. May 10, 06:48

Ok...
So I misplaced a factory wich is somehow for 1% in another factory and hear constant collision noise, even though the damage is manageable by the shields it's still annoying so I bought a tractorbeam.

But...
How the hell does this thing work?
I mean it sucks energy like a new born baby sucking on a nipple.
It lasts like 3 seconds, and no movement with the factory.

What am I doing wrong or anyone got a clue?

Jeraal
x4

Post by Jeraal » Sat, 8. May 10, 06:50

Once the beam turns green stop firing. It will be locked on. To break the lock, fire at open space.
Brute force and ignorance solves all problems, just not very efficiently.

If brute force isn't working, then you aren't using enough.

Catra

Post by Catra » Sat, 8. May 10, 06:52

the factory is most likely going to die if you move it, i suggest you turn it into a complex and then self destruct it(itll just destroy the tubes and HUB) so collision detection logic can unmessitup :P

as for the tractor beam:

get close to the factory, then fire it. if the beam doesnt change color, keep getting closer till it does.

Gyakuto

Post by Gyakuto » Sat, 8. May 10, 06:58

Aaaah cool, now...
lol
I got it green and locked on and suddenly the shield and hull went zero and kaboom factory gone...
No biggie, BUT the debris is still damaging the other factory.
Is there some way to remove the factory debris?

Catra

Post by Catra » Sat, 8. May 10, 07:00

no.

Bill Huntington
x3tc

Station Debris

Post by Bill Huntington » Sat, 8. May 10, 07:26

Well, Gyakuto, I have to give you credit for a good try, but the tractor beam doesn't work on that one.

If you notice shield loss in a new factory, it is going to die. When it dies, there is 'station debris' that lasts for about a game day. That station debris will kill you if you collide with it, and will degrade any station placed on it. That station might make it until the debris fades away and recharge shields, and then it might not. If that factory is included in a complex, it will still die and break up the complex.

So check your factory when placed. Check to see if it touches another station or asteroid. If it does, reload. That load banging is a clue, especially if it is continuous. (A few bangs can still be no problem.)
Even if you self destruct, there is the 'station debris'.
Bill in S.F., enjoying the game

Gyakuto

Post by Gyakuto » Sat, 8. May 10, 09:17

Yeah I just reloaded a savegame wich I lost an hour with but better now thnx :D

perkint
x3tc

Post by perkint » Sat, 8. May 10, 13:13

There is no collision detection if you're OOS so you could just stay out of the sector. That'd mean the overlapping stations are OK or you could destroy it and then stay OOS until the debris has disappeared.

@catra - what now???? The engine will kick in the collision checks if you self destruct a complex and therefore re-distribute any overlapping stations? You sure about that? :o

Tim
Struggling to find something from the forums - Google it!!! :D

66firefly
x3tc

tracker beams does not workl

Post by 66firefly » Fri, 4. Jun 10, 09:46

At least your works. I cannot get mine to do anything. all it does is traget the station no matter how close I get. It ther a program I need to buy?

Hellfire29
x3tc

Post by Hellfire29 » Fri, 4. Jun 10, 10:52

There isn't a program you need. Is it a complex? Those can't be moved. And I'm pretty sure you can't hold it down. You have to fire it, miss, stop firing, move, fire, repeat.

Shock223
x3tc

Re: Tractorbeam

Post by Shock223 » Fri, 4. Jun 10, 10:56

Gyakuto wrote:Ok...
So I misplaced a factory wich is somehow for 1% in another factory and hear constant collision noise, even though the damage is manageable by the shields it's still annoying so I bought a tractorbeam.

But...
How the hell does this thing work?
I mean it sucks energy like a new born baby sucking on a nipple.
It lasts like 3 seconds, and no movement with the factory.

What am I doing wrong or anyone got a clue?
Factories will blow up if hit with a beam.

im trying to move the asteroids out of the way though and see if that solves the issue

Infekted
x3tc

Re: tracker beams does not workl

Post by Infekted » Fri, 4. Jun 10, 11:45

66firefly wrote:At least your works. I cannot get mine to do anything. all it does is traget the station no matter how close I get. It ther a program I need to buy?
The ship you have it mounted on needs enough laser energy to fire it. This does not include most TS ships

Threesixtyci
x4

Re: Tractorbeam

Post by Threesixtyci » Fri, 4. Jun 10, 19:51

Shock223 wrote:
Factories will blow up if hit with a beam.

im trying to move the asteroids out of the way though and see if that solves the issue
No, the Tractor Beam doesn't blow up factories....
But, if a factory is stuck inside another, due to clipping, you won't be able to pull them apart. They just collide with each other and bounce back, and eventually, go boom.

As for moving Asteroids, you can only move them if you place a mine on them.

RicoOcho
xr

Post by RicoOcho » Sat, 5. Jun 10, 06:45

anyway to get the AI to tractor beam and move a station? sucks trying to park an orca in the right spot to grab a station
An object in motion, stays in motion unless acted on by an outside force.
Sir Isaac Newton, The meanest person in space.

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Sat, 5. Jun 10, 20:27

Unfortunately no, but the Auto-pilot is terrible anyway and would be forever blowing up stations.

Remember two things: First, the beam, no matter where installed, is emitted from the CENTER of the ship. So towing anything with the Orca, requires you move up rather than forwards.

Second, you might want to just use a cheat script to kill the station or look for a save before placing it.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”