[TC] How long do Khaak/Xenon Invasions/Patrols Last?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Black_Shade

How long do Khaak/Xenon Invasions/Patrols Last?

Post by Black_Shade » Mon, 10. May 10, 04:02

So I started playing again, and I've restarted 3 times now because of these retarded invasions handicapping my plot. Xenon invasion of Scale Plate Green/PTNI when I'm doing the 2nd/3rd terran mission. Pirate Nova goes boom everytime. Restart.

The last 2 times, I've had Khaak invasions of Circle of Labor. Terran Mission 3: patrol circle of labor. Seeing 3 khaak destroyers light up as requirements for my "very easy" patrol mission is just ridiculous. So after 3 restarts it's becomming clear that either im either the most unlucky person ever or these invasions have been programmed in (for what possible reason I have no idea) when doing the plots. My question is- how long do the destroyers stick around? The Argon aren't going to be able to kill them, so do they despawn eventually? I'd like to finish the plot up to at least get my vidar, but an M3 just can't kill khaak destroyers.

Also, the last time I quit TC was because my PHQ quest was impossible, as the quest to board the orca was tied to combat rank (which i had near maxxed...). This caused said orca to have a full stock of invincable 5 star marines, making it untakable. Has this quest been changed so it's not so retarded?

Catra

Post by Catra » Mon, 10. May 10, 05:48

if that sector is their destination, they stick around till dead.
if it isnt, then theyll kill w/e it is thats attacking them and move on.

Black_Shade

Post by Black_Shade » Mon, 10. May 10, 07:09

Catra wrote:if that sector is their destination, they stick around till dead.
if it isnt, then theyll kill w/e it is thats attacking them and move on.
... well, you get 2 wingman for the mission, who happen to be invulnerable, and attack the destroyers (but cant deal damage to them). So the destroyers can't kill what's attacking them. So either way it sounds like I'm screwed. Awesome.

Black_Shade

Post by Black_Shade » Tue, 11. May 10, 03:56

Well I finally found a use for M8's. I had never really tried them out before, but they work wonders on destroyers. I scrounged the universe for tomahawk missiles (harder than you'd think to get the 60 you need to kill 3 destroyers), and then used poltergeist missiles as screens for the tomahawks during the missile barage. Total cost was about 8 million for the M8 and the missiles, but the damn destroyers blown to hell. M8's aren't bad at all.

Still, invasions probably shouldnt go through plot critical sectors until you've completed whatever plot mission uses that sector. Or dont assign invasion ships as targets for plot quests.

Baddieus
x4

Post by Baddieus » Tue, 11. May 10, 04:08

I've had a similar Kha'ak group in Circle of Labor ... same mission too.

I reloaded before accepting the patrol mission, skipped through Circle of Labor, hired the supply mammoth in Omicron and once it finally arrived in the now 1/2 empty Circle, I dropped wheat farms on the Destroyers. = roughly 400K each kill.

The problem I think your having is moving too quickly, as the Kha'ak group usually spawns randomly in the middle of the first game day, and as noted can interfere. Consider moving along the Terran plot until after you dock at the science lab/station, then turning off the guidance and making a run though the local commonwealth sectors doing odd jobs for NPC's until you know for a fact the coast is clear ... then continue.

Cougar81
x3tc

Post by Cougar81 » Tue, 11. May 10, 04:16

Black_Shade wrote:Well I finally found a use for M8's. I had never really tried them out before, but they work wonders on destroyers. I scrounged the universe for tomahawk missiles (harder than you'd think to get the 60 you need to kill 3 destroyers), and then used poltergeist missiles as screens for the tomahawks during the missile barage. Total cost was about 8 million for the M8 and the missiles, but the damn destroyers blown to hell. M8's aren't bad at all.

Still, invasions probably shouldnt go through plot critical sectors until you've completed whatever plot mission uses that sector. Or dont assign invasion ships as targets for plot quests.
X3 prides itself on making it's users come up with solutions to problems such as these. Consider that most other games are so straightforward and dont really give you the chance to overcome an ordeal such as this. Great job :)

Black_Shade

Post by Black_Shade » Tue, 11. May 10, 04:31

Cougar81 wrote:
Black_Shade wrote:Well I finally found a use for M8's. I had never really tried them out before, but they work wonders on destroyers. I scrounged the universe for tomahawk missiles (harder than you'd think to get the 60 you need to kill 3 destroyers), and then used poltergeist missiles as screens for the tomahawks during the missile barage. Total cost was about 8 million for the M8 and the missiles, but the damn destroyers blown to hell. M8's aren't bad at all.

X3 prides itself on making it's users come up with solutions to problems such as these. Consider that most other games are so straightforward and dont really give you the chance to overcome an ordeal such as this. Great job :)
I think Baddieus' solution was much more inventive than mine, since I guess this is what M8s were built for :)

HailedGorion
x3tc

Post by HailedGorion » Sun, 2. Jan 11, 18:43

I've had a similar Kha'ak group in Circle of Labor ... same mission too.

I reloaded before accepting the patrol mission, skipped through Circle of Labor, hired the supply mammoth in Omicron and once it finally arrived in the now 1/2 empty Circle, I dropped wheat farms on the Destroyers. = roughly 400K each kill.
How do i hire ships? Do i need to buy a ship software or smt like that? I tried going Omicron also and didnt find any hiring options into the stations.

Cuz im stuck on the same mission and i cant afford buying a new ship to use some major power missles. I can use only potergheist ones.

Carl99
x3tc

Post by Carl99 » Sun, 2. Jan 11, 18:51

If you can't afford to buy the M8 and missile you won;t be able to afford to hire a TL and buy stations for station dropping.

Seleucius
x3tc

Post by Seleucius » Sun, 2. Jan 11, 19:11

Carl99 wrote:If you can't afford to buy the M8 and missile you won;t be able to afford to hire a TL and buy stations for station dropping.
Everyone, stand back! I'm going to use math!

~1-3kCr per gate to hire a TL, ~370kCr for a Wheat Farm M from Omicron Lyrae's shipyard, so ~750kCr if you want to be roomy to pop 2 KM2's and gross an 800kCr reward. Profit: ~50kCr.

Conversely, it's 5.3MCr for the cheapest bare-hull M8 (Terran Claymore), and about 23kCr per missile, of which you'd need 16ish per destroyer if they all hit, so minimum 368kCr in missiles if you're feeling very optimistic. With an 800kCr reward, you're looking at losing ~4.9MCr on this method.

Now, if you already have an M8 available, it would probably be more economical to use it than drop those Wheat Farms, but at that early in the game, one is unlikely to have acquired one. Also good to remember is the fact that the Wheat Farm is still a credit-spinning, safe investment even after it blows up a destroyer.

@Gorion: You can only hire TL-class transporter ships, and you only need to hire them to carry and deploy stations for you, at least until you get your own.

Freeholder
x4

Post by Freeholder » Sun, 2. Jan 11, 20:27

Since the OP has a Pirate Nova I would think hunting around for and capturing an unattended m8 is doable, though a bit time consuming.

Carl99
x3tc

Post by Carl99 » Sun, 2. Jan 11, 22:05

~1-3kCr per gate to hire a TL, ~370kCr for a Wheat Farm M from Omicron Lyrae's shipyard, so ~750kCr if you want to be roomy to pop 2 KM2's and gross an 800kCr reward. Profit: ~50kCr.

Conversely, it's 5.3MCr for the cheapest bare-hull M8 (Terran Claymore), and about 23kCr per missile, of which you'd need 16ish per destroyer if they all hit, so minimum 368kCr in missiles if you're feeling very optimistic. With an 800kCr reward, you're looking at losing ~4.9MCr on this method.

Now, if you already have an M8 available, it would probably be more economical to use it than drop those Wheat Farms, but at that early in the game, one is unlikely to have acquired one. Also good to remember is the fact that the Wheat Farm is still a credit-spinning, safe investment even after it blows up a destroyer.
I was speed typing before going out and forgot to check my facts ok :oops: .

HailedGorion
x3tc

Post by HailedGorion » Sun, 2. Jan 11, 22:05

Seleucius wrote:
Carl99 wrote:If you can't afford to buy the M8 and missile you won;t be able to afford to hire a TL and buy stations for station dropping.

@Gorion: You can only hire TL-class transporter ships, and you only need to hire them to carry and deploy stations for you, at least until you get your own.
I just start playing this game.. like 10 hrs gameplay, 7 reading about stuff in game and at sites =P... so i get this plot mission at the very beginning 1st campaign where i need to patrol a sector with 3 destroyers ¬¬

As i have only 40k... i was wondering how can i hire a ship to do that with the wheat farm?(since there is no such option i could find). To buy a good ship or transporter id need millions.

EmperorJon
x3tc

Post by EmperorJon » Sun, 2. Jan 11, 23:13

As they've already said, you won't be able to afford it.

It's best to leave them be for now.

Also, nobody seems to have noticed, please don't resurrect half year+ old threads. The mods will probably arrive shortly. :P
______
I'm Jon. I'm mostly not around any more. If you want to talk, please message me! It's cool.
______

Carl99
x3tc

Post by Carl99 » Sun, 2. Jan 11, 23:20

Ooops. Sorry, should have looked more closely.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”