Phased Repeater Gun VS PAC

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

rujikin
x3tc

Phased Repeater Gun VS PAC

Post by rujikin » Mon, 10. May 10, 18:56

I'm trying to figure out what to equip my traders and M4's with. I have never used a PRG before and most of my ships can use it.

What is the differences between the PRG and the PAC in combat and OOS combat?
Using X3 AP + All TC plots enabled

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Mon, 10. May 10, 19:04

PRG does slightly more damage, uses slightly more energy, has slightly longer range, and a MUCH faster speed of shot. That makes it better against small, fast ships. OOS it's probably about the same.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Mon, 10. May 10, 19:12

However, the PRG has a much smaller 'bullet' size than the PAC, and so tends to miss more often at longer ranges. For AI-controlled ships, I generally prefer the PAC, mostly because it's so much cheaper than the PRG. You can get 3 PAC's for the price of one PRG, and still have some cash left in your pocket.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Baddieus
x4

Post by Baddieus » Mon, 10. May 10, 19:46

PRG's are excellent for turret missile defense, due to the previously mentioned speed of shot. For main guns, I agree with Nanook on the PAC.

rujikin
x3tc

Post by rujikin » Mon, 10. May 10, 20:10

Ok thanks! Maby the PRG will work better than my Fragmentation bomb launcher at destroying missles. Thing never works and always misses enemies -_-
Using X3 AP + All TC plots enabled

ezra-r
x4

Post by ezra-r » Mon, 10. May 10, 20:47

Nanook wrote:However, the PRG has a much smaller 'bullet' size than the PAC, and so tends to miss more often at longer ranges. ....
I have to disagree with this one.

If this is the weapon I recall, sorry been not playing for a while already, its bullets are much faster than PAC so they are the ideal weapon to aim and hit the fastest of ships, thus making it more suitable to "hit" than PAC.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Mon, 10. May 10, 20:54

You can disagree if you wish, but in my experience, I'd rather face an Elite firing PRG's head-on than one firing PAC's. Those fast-firing PRG bullets are so small, and so scattered, that they typically don't even hit my ship until I'm within a km or so. However, if an Elite with 6 PAC's, or even a Pirate Harrier Raider, with 4 PAC's, is coming toward me, I try to kill it as quick as possible because those PAC's are going to hurt. I do not fear PRG's like I do PAC's. :twisted:

Look, we're talking about AI ships equipped with these weapons, not the player ship. Sure, for the player attacking small, fast ships, the PRG is better, generally, if a lot more expensive. But for my AI controlled ships, I much prefer giving them PAC's for all the reasons mentioned above.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Kor'ah
x4

Post by Kor'ah » Mon, 10. May 10, 23:17

Assuming the ship is being left in the hands of the AI.

Main weapon array - PAC
Turret - PRG

So yeah, my answer is both.
[X3] Guide to training CAG and CLS1&2 pilots
[X3T] Guide to training CAG and CLS1&2 pilots in Terran Conflict

The mercenary code
There is no right or wrong.
There is no good or evil.
There is only the will of the client, and how much they're paying.

Cpt.Jericho
x3tc

Post by Cpt.Jericho » Tue, 11. May 10, 00:54

I tend to agree with nanook: The PAC does hurt more than the PRG. It also doesn't drain the energy of small ships that fast. Considering the price and the stats I always prefer the PAC, even for missle defense. The slightly higher range is obsolete against small targets due to inaccuracy.
Winner of 350 Mil class of X-Verse Fleet Fest Italiano
Boycotting Steam since 2003

Bobucles
x3tc

Post by Bobucles » Tue, 11. May 10, 01:07

If you are under attack by fighter drones, it's no contest. The PAC will rip them out of the sky. The PRG stands no chance of hitting.

This is especially important to know if drones tie up your turrets.

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Tue, 11. May 10, 01:18

I find that an M6 turret full of PAC is pretty good.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

Bill Huntington
x3tc

PAC - weapon of choice.

Post by Bill Huntington » Tue, 11. May 10, 03:57

It's kind of amazing, really. When I was a new pilot, I had PACs as a fill in weapon, until I could get something 'better'.

As a more experienced pilot, the PAC is my weapon of choice in most situations. PAC for a wingman, it doesn't run out of energy. PAC for a CW fleet fighter, reliable, cheap, available, doesn't run out of energy. PAC for a rear turret, see above.

Of course, I still have a Venti with PRG, but the PAC gets used more than any weapon in my CW M3s.
Bill in S.F., enjoying the game

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Tue, 11. May 10, 11:50

Well this explains much to me - I'd always struggled to work out why my PRGs seemed to do so little damage! And at 4 times the cost of a PAC - ALL my fighter wings are equipped with PRG, I have complexes churning the guns out at one every few minutes....
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

SIMON POPPLEWELL
x3tc

Post by SIMON POPPLEWELL » Tue, 11. May 10, 12:59

PRGs are better in the player's hands than they are in the AIs. Also you are probably going to suffer casualties using M4/M4+. So it comes down to the cost, PACs are cheaper and are easilly replaced, also there really isn't much in it OOS with both these weapons so stick with the PACs.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”