[MOD] Holy Asteroids Mod - 3.11 Compatible [Version 2.0 is available - 26/07/2010]

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

TEKing66
xr

[MOD] Holy Asteroids Mod - 3.11 Compatible [Version 2.0 is available - 26/07/2010]

Post by TEKing66 » Mon, 10. May 10, 21:02

In X2 there were some asteroids that were hollow and/or tunneled out.
Is it possible to get those into X3-TC? Short answer "Yes".
That is what this mod does. As well as adding a few more interesting asteroids floating around in space.

I know they are mostly eye candy. But, I really enjoyed those.
Using them to hide out in for a small reprieve from battle, and just exploring them. Occasionally, racing through them, just to see if I could at high speeds.

Well, they are back. This MOD changes out five of the existing large asteroids with models that have tunnels, chambers and holes through them. One of the small type asteroids has been changed out for a conglomerate type asteroid. The tunnels remain in the asteroid if a mine is built on it, so now you can fly through your mine. The Aldrin moon gets a size reduction to about half of it's original size as well.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

This mod is 2.7 compatible.

These files are free to be reused in your scripts/mods as long as you say thank you in your topic.

Image Links

Conglomerate Asteroid
Small Asteroid w/Hole
Interior View of the Tunnels
Exterior View showing Tunnel Entrance

Version 2.0 Release Notes:
The 2.X series of the Holy Asteroids Mod is designed to be used as a "Fake Patch". It adds two new asteroid types into the TAsteroids types files and uses Mission Director to place them in various sectors in the game map. This allows the tunneled asteroids to be a little more on the rare side instead of the being in every sector and replacing all of the stock asteroids in the game. The 2.X series IS NOT "Vanilla Safe".

Version 1.5 Release Notes:
V1.5 changes will alleviate the collision avoidance issue, as the two mine sized asteroids with tunnels have been taken out. The C Class asteroid was added with tunnels. But you need to bear in mind that the C Class is more easily destroyed than the A & B Class asteroids. Meaning that it will not be a protective as the other two mentioned. This version should still "Vanilla Safe". Plans are to keep the 1.X series "Vanilla Safe".

FILE DOWNLOAD LINKS

V2.0 - SPK Version

Vanilla Safe Versions
V1.5 - SPK Version

CHANGE LOG

V2.0 Changes

1) Redesigned to make use of Mission Director.

2) Added two new asteroid types to the TAsteroids types file.

3) Added the HolyAsteroids.xml to the "\director" folder to load the asteroids into the map.

V1.5 Changes

1) Removed A & B Class asteroids with tunnels.

2) Replaced C Class asteroid with a model containing tunnels.

V1.4 Changes

1) Improved the UV mapping for the tunnels for better texture placement.

2) Tunnel models changed.

V1.3 Changes

1)Added tunnels to the "A" class asteroid model.

2)Recompiled the .bob files and replaced the texture references with the original X3TC asteroid textures.

3)Scaled the Aldrin asteroid up a little, it is now approx. 1/2 it's original size.

4)Remodeled the "conglomerate" type asteroid.

5)Increased the size of the small asteroid with the hole through it.

6)Deleted some of the other asteroids from the mod in favor of the X3TC Original.

V1.21 Changes
1) Change made to the SPK version only. It now correctly installs as a fake patch using Cycrow's Plugin Manager Lite which gives the ability to uninstall it from the Plugin Manager.

V1.2 Changes
1) Added resized and reduced polygon version of the Aldrin Moon (Big rock in the center of the Aldrin system). (Aldrin Moon is approx. 1/3 original size, polygon count went from 6848 to 4280.)

2) Reduced the polygon count on larger asteroids and some of the smaller asteroids. (I have tried to keep the visual quality of all asteroids as close to the original as possible.)

3) Replaced three of my asteroids with lower poly versions of the original in game asteroids (no they don't have holes, but the game plays better). (This helps with the FPS in game, and you no longer get larger asteroids by shooting smaller ones, oops!)

4) Destroying a small asteroid now produces smaller asteroids, just the way it should happen)

5) Conglomerate asteroid also received a polygon reduction.

6) The Asteroids from X2, large one with tunnels and small one with a hole thru it are still in this mod, but polygon count has been reduced.

V1.1 Changes one of the asteroids to a conglomerate type asteroid.

Note This "New" conglomerate asteroid is a bit more polygon intensive. Some older computer systems may have issues with this.
My system (Pentium D @ 3.0 GHz, 4 Gig 866 MHz ram with a GeForce 9800 GT w/1.0 Gig of ram) doesn't have a noticeable affect with this installed.

These Links can also be found at Xai-Corp Holy Asteroids Topic
Last edited by TEKing66 on Fri, 7. Dec 12, 16:45, edited 41 times in total.
My mods for X3TC & X3AP

Been with the X-series from the beginning. If it happens in the X_Universe I've been there done that several times over.

The-Last-Communist

Post by The-Last-Communist » Mon, 10. May 10, 21:39

right , im no good 3d modler , it possible to creat a modelle there for convert x2-x3 (as x2 shipcallback), new roids i imagine , i guess that it could be done as a new object EX station debris
Splits , for the better things in life...

TEKing66
xr

Post by TEKing66 » Mon, 10. May 10, 22:34

I may play around and see if I can pull the models and/or textures out of X2
and get them in X3-TC. I may be that those models are just to heavy in the X3-TC game engine (not sure on this).

I really only have a marginal understanding of what it would take to accomplish this. But, what is the worst that can happen? (Might end up trashing my game and having to reinstall, done that before :twisted: )
My mods for X3TC & X3AP

Been with the X-series from the beginning. If it happens in the X_Universe I've been there done that several times over.

killerog
x4

Post by killerog » Mon, 10. May 10, 23:27

If you need any help with anything give me a pm, should be able to help you out with any problems.

TEKing66
xr

Post by TEKing66 » Tue, 11. May 10, 00:21

It may be awhile before I actually get around to trying this.
As real world work is taking up most of my time currently (such is the life of a machine designer).

But, none the less, I would like to get those asteriods back.

Thanks for the offer killerog, I'll keep it in mind.
My mods for X3TC & X3AP

TEKing66
xr

Post by TEKing66 » Tue, 11. May 10, 05:34

I had some time this evening to mess with this a little.

I went into X2's cat files and found the asteroids I want to use.
Which are;
00334.bod and 00802.bod

I have them extracted, opened them in GMAX to verify the models.
I then checked for both .bod files in X3-TC, neither exist there (at least under the file names listed above).

So, I am assuming I can leave the names as is when I add them to my mod. Please correct me if I am wrong on this.

Now, can someone tell me what I need to do to get them textured/shaded
once I get them into X3-TC?

Can I and/or how do I reference textures/shaders to be attached to these models?
My mods for X3TC & X3AP

killerog
x4

Post by killerog » Tue, 11. May 10, 12:34

The way I textured my X2 ships is by opening the 00334.bod and 00802.bod in notepad (use notepad ++) then copying a material from any X3 model (try an X3 asteroid should have the correct sharder). And you do this for each X2 texture eg ::

00334.bod has 1 texture ::

MATERIAL3: 0;44; 16;40;46; 157;175;179; 229;229;229; 0;0;25;23; 0;0;0; 100; 0;0; 0;0;

replace this line with ::

MATERIAL6: 0; 0x2000000; 1; asteroid.fx; 36; g_ColorWriteEnable;SPTYPE_LONG;15; g_Wrap;SPTYPE_LONG;0; g_CullMode;SPTYPE_LONG;2; g_AlphaBlendEnable;SPTYPE_LONG;0; g_BlendOp;SPTYPE_LONG;1; g_SrcBlend;SPTYPE_LONG;2; g_DestBlend;SPTYPE_LONG;1; g_ZEnable;SPTYPE_LONG;1; g_ZWriteEnable;SPTYPE_LONG;1; g_ALPHATESTENABLE;SPTYPE_LONG;0; g_LightAmbientIntensity;SPTYPE_FLOAT4;0.000000;0.000000;0.000000;0.000000; LightDir_Dir0;SPTYPE_LONG;0; LightDir_Color0;SPTYPE_FLOAT4;1.000000;1.000000;1.000000;0.000000; g_MatSpecularStrength;SPTYPE_FLOAT;1.000000; g_MatSpecularPower;SPTYPE_FLOAT;10.000000; g_AlphaValue;SPTYPE_FLOAT;1.000000; g_MatEmissiveColor;SPTYPE_FLOAT4;0.000000;0.000000;0.000000;0.000000; t_FilterTypeDiffuse;SPTYPE_LONG;2; t_SamplerAddressMode;SPTYPE_LONG;1; t_SamplerMaxAnisotropy;SPTYPE_LONG;8; t_MipMapLODBias;SPTYPE_FLOAT;0.000000; t_DiffuseTexture;SPTYPE_STRING;environments\asteroids\asteroids_01_diff.tga; t_MinFilterTypeDiffuse;SPTYPE_LONG;3; g_MatDiffuseStrength;SPTYPE_FLOAT;1.000000; t_BumpTexture;SPTYPE_STRING;environments\asteroids\asteroids_01_bump.tga; t_MinFilterTypeBump;SPTYPE_LONG;2; t_BumpMipMapLODBias;SPTYPE_FLOAT;1.000000; t_FilterTypeBump;SPTYPE_LONG;2; t_SpecularTexture;SPTYPE_STRING;environments\asteroids\asteroids_01_spec.tga; t_DetailTexture;SPTYPE_STRING;environments\asteroids\asteroids_01_decal.tga; p_DetailMapBlendWeight;SPTYPE_FLOAT;0.000000; p_TexTiling;SPTYPE_FLOAT;2.000000; effectfile;SPTYPE_STRING;asteroid.fx; renderEnabled;SPTYPE_BOOL;0; renderMaterial;SPTYPE_LONG;-1; technique;SPTYPE_LONG;0;

But change the texture in the new material line to the same one that is in the X2 line. So in this case environments\asteroids\asteroids_01_diff.tga changes to : 44.

This should mean the asteroid remains textured the when you open it up in Gmax.

I also renamed my ships from numbers to a readable name. Makes life easier I think.

TEKing66
xr

Post by TEKing66 » Tue, 11. May 10, 15:44

Thanks my friend, I may get a chance to work a little more on this later today. I'll let you know how it goes.

Since I'll be using, or trying to use, existing X3 textures. The texture/shader files, would I need to pack them into my mod?

I'm guessing not, unless I change a name or do something to make the new/different?
Last edited by TEKing66 on Sat, 10. Jul 10, 01:18, edited 1 time in total.
My mods for X3TC & X3AP

killerog
x4

Post by killerog » Tue, 11. May 10, 15:48

If you are going to use X3 textures then no you do not need to include them in your mod, nor would you if you used the X2 texture as I think that is in X3 as well.

SS_T
x3ap

Post by SS_T » Tue, 11. May 10, 19:55

You can get them into x3, but I don't think you can make them rotate iirc they did in x2. At least I haven't been able to.
New XDownloads: http://xdownloads.co.uk

killerog
x4

Post by killerog » Tue, 11. May 10, 20:28

Could you just animate them in the scene file ?

No idea what X2 and X3 asteroids do as I have not played the game for ages.

PSCO1
x4

Post by PSCO1 » Wed, 12. May 10, 04:47

Its a very good idea and i have made a try with the "A" asteroid
and adapted with the 802.bod tunnel

once ingame, i dont know which asteroid was the good
but finaly i found it !

"A" types asteroids are for "ore mines" i suppose

the tunnel
[ external image ]

and in game
[ external image ]

look nice !

TEKing66
xr

Post by TEKing66 » Thu, 13. May 10, 17:30

As far as them not rotating, that's not really a big issue for me.

Personally, I would prefer that the one with tunnels did not rotate.
Though, the smaller one with a hole through it, could make for some cool game play. Say, a field of 30 or 40 of the all rotating in random axis, could be some fun fighting in amongst that. :D
My mods for X3TC & X3AP

TSM
Not a Moderator
x4

Post by TSM » Thu, 13. May 10, 17:48

I look forward to seeing this I used to park inside one for fun in X2 :D
FAQ's Egosoft Interactive FAQ
Egosoft Wiki

TEKing66
xr

Edit, 15 May 10 @10:37

Post by TEKing66 » Fri, 14. May 10, 08:09

Yea, that's kinda my reason for wanting them back.

I'm going to try and work on this more over the weekend.
Would I be better to add these to the TAsteroids file?
Or, would TDebris be better"

Guessing I will also need to edit the debris map as well to add themto the game?

Hopefully I can work this into a small mod.

EDIT: Is there a way to "patch" the map?
Would that be a better way to add them?

EDIT: I have them in X3-TC, currently they are just replacing two of the existing asteroids. Which has the added effect of automatically populating the galaxy with them as well.

Maybe that's the route this should go. An asteroid replacer mod.

Anyone see any problems with that?
My mods for X3TC & X3AP

TEKing66
xr

Post by TEKing66 » Thu, 20. May 10, 19:37

Would anyone be interested in this as a mod?

I have modified some of the models to add a more unique look to some of the asteroids. Currently, I'm just replacing the in game models with a couple from X2 and three that are modified X2 asteroid models.

I'm considering modifing the textures as well.

If there is enough interest, I'll find a file hosting site and upload it.
If anyone has a hosting site in mind, feel free to let me know about it.

I will try to put together some screen captures later today.
My mods for X3TC & X3AP

xavierd

Post by xavierd » Thu, 20. May 10, 19:59

Definately interested. I use http://www.xai-corp.net/ to host my script, and any others i come up with

killerog
x4

Post by killerog » Fri, 21. May 10, 00:41

Ill be interested in using it in my X2 mod (if you dont mind?)

I can also host it for you if you want. Most likely be buying the pro hosting package sometime this month as I have already used 90% of my bandwidth(20gig) so will have plenty to spare (150gig when upgraded).

TEKing66
xr

Post by TEKing66 » Fri, 21. May 10, 01:56

Cool, then I'll do a few screenshots.

And, get the files packed.

Although I had thought about do this.

Zip the files up, and just let people place the files in the correct folder under X3-TC. By doing this, I'm sure that they will work with any mod (at least any that DO NOT change the asteroids). And, it eliminates taking up a cat and dat file name.

But, I could offer it either way, as a false patch (using a cat and dat file)
and as just the raw models placed in the correct folder and archived.

Anyone have any preferance there?
My mods for X3TC & X3AP

killerog
x4

Post by killerog » Fri, 21. May 10, 01:59

I do all mine as real mods, prefer to do that, but both ways work

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”