X3TC - Miner-variant ships, no MDS up front?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

xavierd

X3TC - Miner-variant ships, no MDS up front?

Post by xavierd » Fri, 14. May 10, 22:38

Just wondering, why don't the 4 "Miner" type TS have a single MDS-only slot up front?

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Fri, 14. May 10, 23:15

Why would they? It's probably safer and easier to cruise past an asteroid and then shoot it from your rear turret than to dive straight at it!

cobra mk2
x4

Post by cobra mk2 » Sat, 15. May 10, 00:50

I also wish that at least one of the TS's could mount MDS's up front.

When trying to aim the MDS turret at the back it is soooo slow and i imagine it wold be easier to aim it if it was at the front.

However i'm sure i've read a post a week or two ago that said that the AI doesn't use turrets so it is unable to use the MDS out of sector. Maybe this is the whole point as to why you can't fit an MDS up front.
"Out of the dirt, into the sky"

Ripskar
x3ap

Post by Ripskar » Sat, 15. May 10, 01:17

Mistral does have the turet at the front if you want to do it yourself.
But once you've got the AI doing it it doesn't particularly matter.

Tenlar Scarflame
xr

Post by Tenlar Scarflame » Sat, 15. May 10, 01:26

Also, you can mobile mine sans MDS. You won't be smashing the big asteroids that register on the sector map, but there's generally plenty of debris to be cleaned up using just a PAC. Cheaper than an MDS and easier to acquire. :)
My music - Von Neumann's Children - Lasers and Tactics

I'm on Twitch! 21:15 EST Sundays. Come watch me die a lot.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Sat, 15. May 10, 02:50

cobra mk2 wrote:....
However i'm sure i've read a post a week or two ago that said that the AI doesn't use turrets so it is unable to use the MDS out of sector. Maybe this is the whole point as to why you can't fit an MDS up front.
I think you misunderstood what was being said. Turret weapons are indeed used OOS, but they aren't treated separately from other weapons and turret scripts have no effect. Any turret weapons are simply added to the firepower of the ship. So MDS's, or any other turret weapons do indeed break up rocks OOS. Which is why if you use them that way, i.e., AI-controlled, there's no need for a front weapon on miners.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

cobra mk2
x4

Post by cobra mk2 » Sun, 16. May 10, 23:18

So MDS's, or any other turret weapons do indeed break up rocks OOS. Which is why if you use them that way, i.e., AI-controlled, there's no need for a front weapon on miners.
Thanks for the correction nanook, i may start equiping more of my miners with MDS's now.

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Sun, 16. May 10, 23:38

Autonomous miners only mine from small rocks. the PAC works for those.

I have a pretty large mining fleet, and all but a few use PACs.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

cobra mk2
x4

Post by cobra mk2 » Mon, 17. May 10, 22:11

So MDS's, or any other turret weapons do indeed break up rocks OOS. Which is why if you use them that way, i.e., AI-controlled, there's no need for a front weapon on miners.
and then....
Autonomous miners only mine from small rocks. the PAC works for those.
:gruebel:

godammit... now i'm all confused again.

Let me get this straight, OOS Miners can use a MDS located in a turret but they would only use them to break up the smaller rocks and debris.

So in otherwords even though they have a MDS fitted, the A.I. wont use it to break up the big (scannable) asteroids OOS and so IT IS pointless fitting MDS's to Remote Miners

Can someone please cofirm this for me.

This game is unreal. Just when i think i've got it sussed along comes another problem to bushwack my feeble brain.

They should do study courses for this game at college or something.

Threesixtyci
x4

Post by Threesixtyci » Mon, 17. May 10, 23:20

You got it...
The AI isn't allowed to destroy asteroids on their own.

Also, I'm pretty sure even IRE's can destroy an asteroid, given enough shots (I mean I've seen them blow up during fir-balls, before.), but the mining laser only needs one shot to make them blow up.

Hmm, is reload time of lasers and turret speeds calculated OOS, because if it isn't.... mining laser has an extremely high damaged rate. That could be why Egosoft only allows them to be mounted on the rear of specific ship that have only one gun slot. Full Forward Bank of those OOS, would eat anything for lunch. Especially, if reload rate and turret speed are ignored OOS.

Also, it used to be that rocks wouldn't respawn, only Asteroids would.
After a patch in TC rocks now respawn as soon as the last rock in a cluster, gets collected.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Mon, 17. May 10, 23:26

cobra mk2 wrote:...
So in otherwords even though they have a MDS fitted, the A.I. wont use it to break up the big (scannable) asteroids OOS and so IT IS pointless fitting MDS's to Remote Miners...
Not necessarily. If you notice, the Miner variants of the TS's can ONLY use MDS's. They can't equip other weapons in those particular ships. So if you use those, the MDS is your only option. Well, except for the Caiman Miner, which can still equip normal guns in its front main gun slots.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”