Repair Laser - Where to buy?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

testpilot_bg
x3tc

Repair Laser - Where to buy?

Post by testpilot_bg » Sun, 16. May 10, 12:10

Please, tell me, where can I buy a repair laser to install on my ships?

SIMON POPPLEWELL
x3tc

Post by SIMON POPPLEWELL » Sun, 16. May 10, 12:12

You can't buy it in Vanilla, you will have to make do with the suit repair laser.

testpilot_bg
x3tc

Post by testpilot_bg » Sun, 16. May 10, 12:16

R u kiddin' me?!? I want to repair my Mammoth and the repair laser of my astronaut is not good enough. Why the frack half of the space ships in the game has a slot for a repair laser?

Harrass
x3

Post by Harrass » Sun, 16. May 10, 12:35

Why do you think it would be any better from a ship ?

If you look carefully you will see, that the amount "healed" is the same for full power and low energy. So there would be no difference if you shoot from your suit, or from your ship.

It´s only more convenient not to leave the ship and of course i dislike the lack of comunication with my empire, while i wait in space to repair my targets.

Btw, if you are just concerned about the time spent for repairing big ships, i suggest you do it like me and find something to block the trigger.
I got a competition pro Joystick and whenever i need to repair something big i just put something on the trigger and do something else.

Bobucles
x3tc

Post by Bobucles » Sun, 16. May 10, 13:29

Don't bother repairing anything larger than an M6. It's not worth the headache.
There are a few scripts that will add repair laser factories, let marines repair ships, let fighter drones do repairs, or let the ship repair itself.

frymaster
x4

Post by frymaster » Sun, 16. May 10, 13:45

testpilot_bg wrote:R u kiddin' me?!? I want to repair my Mammoth and the repair laser of my astronaut is not good enough. Why the frack half of the space ships in the game has a slot for a repair laser?
it's the "utility laser" slot - tractor beams and repair lasers are the same class, so anything that can mount a tractor beam also shows as being able to mount a repair laser

though like someone said, it wouldn't magically become more powerful just because it's attached to a bigger ship, you'd still be stuck there with something heavy on the button for many hours...

the repair laser is basically there so when you're starting out you don't find your only ship unusable with no way to get more money... if you can afford a mammoth, you can probably afford the repairs (or have some way of getting the money)
Math problems? Call 0800-[(10x)(13i)^2]-[sin(xy)/2.362x]

RicoOcho
xr

Post by RicoOcho » Sun, 16. May 10, 14:24

Bobucles wrote:Don't bother repairing anything larger than an M6. It's not worth the headache.
There are a few scripts that will add repair laser factories, let marines repair ships, let fighter drones do repairs, or let the ship repair itself.
crap...i want to keep my game in vanilla for a while before i start modding etc etc
An object in motion, stays in motion unless acted on by an outside force.
Sir Isaac Newton, The meanest person in space.

Patholos
x4

Post by Patholos » Sun, 16. May 10, 14:57

The funny thing is that repairs from 3% and up to 100%, especially on a big ship will eat up your wallet in no time.

One of the many reasons why I played modified, vanilla is just a test of patience/sanity.

brucewarren
x3tc

Post by brucewarren » Sun, 16. May 10, 15:07

It all depends on how fat your wallet is and how easily you can make
money.

If you can afford to, getting a shipyard to repair big ships will save a lot
of time. But if you're broke and the ship is all you've got, it may still
be worth taping down the CTRL key and coming back later.

Also if you're going to sell the ship, the price you get is directly
proportional to it's state of repair.

A certain Hyperion is extraordinarily expensive to repair at shipyards,
- with good reason given it's abilities.

I've not tried the trick where you put the ships SETA in your suit then
tape down both the CTRL and J keys.

Patholos
x4

Post by Patholos » Sun, 16. May 10, 15:18

brucewarren wrote:It all depends on how fat your wallet is and how easily you can make
money.

If you can afford to, getting a shipyard to repair big ships will save a lot
of time. But if you're broke and the ship is all you've got, it may still
be worth taping down the CTRL key and coming back later.

Also if you're going to sell the ship, the price you get is directly
proportional to it's state of repair.

A certain Hyperion is extraordinarily expensive to repair at shipyards,
- with good reason given it's abilities.

I've not tried the trick where you put the ships SETA in your suit then
tape down both the CTRL and J keys.
Which kinda proves my point, why must I use valuable gaming time staring at the hull with my repair laser and "pew pew pew" my ship back to be usefull. Also, it doesnt help that I need to use additional hardware (tape) to make this option viable.

As I have said before, X3TC (which I play) is a game that hates the player with a passion ;)

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sun, 16. May 10, 18:22

Maybe you'd prefer the situation as it was in X3R where there WAS no repair laser? You wanted repairs, you HAD to pay for them in that game! Made it rather important to avoid damage where you could...

Infekted
x3tc

Post by Infekted » Sun, 16. May 10, 18:26

Harrass wrote:Why do you think it would be any better from a ship ?

If you look carefully you will see, that the amount "healed" is the same for full power and low energy. So there would be no difference if you shoot from your suit, or from your ship.
Except on some ships you can mount 10.

Deadbeat_Spinn
x3tc

Post by Deadbeat_Spinn » Sun, 16. May 10, 18:30

pjknibbs wrote:Maybe you'd prefer the situation as it was in X3R where there WAS no repair laser? You wanted repairs, you HAD to pay for them in that game! Made it rather important to avoid damage where you could...
I remember those days quite well. Spent 7+mil repairing my Hyp, immediately go out into battle, and get rammed by a Xenon K........33+mil repair bill for that plus replacing all the weapons/shields/software that was destroyed in the collision (roughly a third of everything). Fortunately the weapons that I picked up (37 GPPC's as well as other guns) covered the cost of repairs and then some. Otherwise it would have been "RELOAD".

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Sun, 16. May 10, 20:11

I love the repair laser in the early game. It's just right for fixing up your fighter/freighter without costing you anything, and lets not forget that you can fix up capped fighters/freighters and get a better resale price.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 16. May 10, 20:33

I also like the repair laser for a further reason. It gets you to get out and up close to all sorts of ship models so that you appreciate the effort that went into the design of those models. You get the urge to move around and see the whole aspect of the model once you are there in your suit. Without it, you probably wouldn't really appreciate the level of detail included as the various ships go zipping past your fighter cockpit or just get destroyed at a distance.

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Sun, 16. May 10, 20:35

Alan Phipps wrote:I also like the repair laser for a further reason. It gets you to get out and up close to all sorts of ship models so that you appreciate the effort that went into the design of those models. You get the urge to move around and see the whole aspect of the model once you are there in your suit. Without it, you probably wouldn't really appreciate the level of detail included as the various ships go zipping past your fighter cockpit or just get destroyed at a distance.
Indeed. In my first game I went a viking in a Nova, exploring the map, much of which I was visiting for the first time, and getting into the odd dogfight.

It was fun to eject after a fight to patch up my ship, sectors look a lot different from a spacesuit, and it gives you a feeling of independance to be doing your own repairs.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

Dantrithor
x3tc

Post by Dantrithor » Sun, 16. May 10, 20:36

Alan Phipps wrote:I also like the repair laser for a further reason. It gets you to get out and up close to all sorts of ship models so that you appreciate the effort that went into the design of those models. You get the urge to move around and see the whole aspect of the model once you are there in your suit. Without it, you probably wouldn't really appreciate the level of detail included as the various ships go zipping past your fighter cockpit or just get destroyed at a distance.
Indeed, when you begin playing X3TC, getting out on your space suit to repair your own ship reveals all those details you didn't see before, plus you manage to really notice the relative sizes of many ships. If you fly past a Teladi TL in a fighter, it might look rather big. Once you get 5 metres from it on your space suit and zoom out.. it looks realistically huge.

mmaster211

Post by mmaster211 » Sun, 16. May 10, 20:46

Harrass wrote:Why do you think it would be any better from a ship ?

It´s only more convenient not to leave the ship and of course i dislike the lack of comunication with my empire, while i wait in space to repair my targets.

Btw, if you are just concerned about the time spent for repairing big ships, i suggest you do it like me and find something to block the trigger.
I got a competition pro Joystick and whenever i need to repair something big i just put something on the trigger and do something else.
That's true, but if you could mount them on ships you could have more than one repair laser going at once.

cobra mk2
x4

Post by cobra mk2 » Mon, 17. May 10, 00:00

You can eject the seta from your ship and pick it up while in your space suit, then just hold down the 'j' button while pressing 'ctrl' and it repairs it super fast. Useful for repairing large and heavily damaged ships.

The only downside is that you lose your seta, so park both ships beside a trading dock before you start repairing then afterwards you can buy another seta quickly.
"Out of the dirt, into the sky"

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Mon, 17. May 10, 00:11

I find it much simpler to lean something against the mouse and go make a cup of tea or something.

Now I have money I tend to only use the repair laser when there's only a small amount of damage though.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”