Repair laser - where to buy... so is this cheating?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

ricmatgre
x3

Repair laser - where to buy... so is this cheating?

Post by ricmatgre » Mon, 17. May 10, 13:21

I do have quite a lot of money, but so far this game I have not spent any on getting ships repaired - all has been done in my spacesuit. What I used to find frustrating was watching the energy percentage figure rise.... soooo slow, but then I thought of something.

When in a battle you used to (like in X2, X3R etc) be able to regain your shileds at 100% if you dropped them and then collected them. Would it be the same with the repair laser I thought? On trying it out I found that it was - use all the energy up, re-entre the ship then get back out into space and fire away again.

It might not reduce the time by half, but it certainly cuts it down by a lot. Is this cheating though?

Le Baron
x3tc

Post by Le Baron » Mon, 17. May 10, 13:23

No, because the effect is not really existing!
According to my experience there is no real faster repairing with high energy. Despite this is the problem of the time and efforts to jump into the ship and exit again and again and again.

I don't think it really saves time and even if so I don't think it's worth the effort.

PS: Why do you call your subject "Where to buy", when you have it already?
Support optional Steam-free X:R!
optional (!!!) Non-Steam XR release or we won't buy!
Steam = Game Over!

Infekted
x3tc

Post by Infekted » Mon, 17. May 10, 13:24

there is a topic two places below this one asking exactly the same question...

ricmatgre
x3

Post by ricmatgre » Mon, 17. May 10, 13:26

I staed "where to buy" because if you look two subjects down I literally copied another title and then added a bit!

Infekted
x3tc

Post by Infekted » Mon, 17. May 10, 13:38

Oh sorry my bad, shoulda read it all.

I cant see it as cheating, when full energy repair is not much different to no energy repair

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Mon, 17. May 10, 19:54

Actually, it's identical. I don't think, from my experience anyway, there's any difference in repair time whatsoever. So by jumping in and out of your ship all the time, you're just greatly extending the repair time, not shortening it. :P
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Deadbeat_Spinn
x3tc

Post by Deadbeat_Spinn » Mon, 17. May 10, 20:06

Nanook wrote:Actually, it's identical. I don't think, from my experience anyway, there's any difference in repair time whatsoever. So by jumping in and out of your ship all the time, you're just greatly extending the repair time, not shortening it. :P
True, but a spacesuit has a limited oxygen supply (or whatever the people(?) of the X universe breathe). There's nothing worse than coming back to see how the repairs are going and you see the "GAME OVER" on the screen.

dbrowdy
x3tc

Post by dbrowdy » Mon, 17. May 10, 20:34

Wait, is there a way to repair without holding the stupid "fire" button down for ages?! Have I been doing it the hard way this whole time? lol!

Technojerk36
xr

Post by Technojerk36 » Mon, 17. May 10, 20:36

Yes, you have been doing it the hard way!

If you wish to decrease the amount of time it takes to repair something by a factor of ten, you need to read SETA repair for dummies!

(Link in my sig)
My "for Dummies" guides: Trade Command Software Mk III | Advanced Satellites | X3: TC (Co-author: K-64) | SETA Repair
Xenon_Slayer wrote:maybe we'll have extreme weather pingpong at some point

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Mon, 17. May 10, 20:38

dbrowdy wrote:Wait, is there a way to repair without holding the stupid "fire" button down for ages?! Have I been doing it the hard way this whole time? lol!
No, and no. And beware of using SETA. The two hour oxygen supply in your suit will get used up in 12 minutes real time.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Technojerk36
xr

Post by Technojerk36 » Mon, 17. May 10, 20:51

The only ships that take 12 minutes in real life while on SETA x10 are probably M1s, M2s and the Aran.

Repairing multiple ships doesn't count.
My "for Dummies" guides: Trade Command Software Mk III | Advanced Satellites | X3: TC (Co-author: K-64) | SETA Repair
Xenon_Slayer wrote:maybe we'll have extreme weather pingpong at some point

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”