Repair Laser Upgrade?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Valkarie001

Repair Laser Upgrade?

Post by Valkarie001 » Mon, 31. May 10, 20:57

Is it possible to upgrade the repair laser you get wen u eject the ship? as i just capped 2 vulture tankers and i cant do the hull up its took 5 mins just to complete 1 small square and i know better to sit it out and sell it as woeth more at 100% but wondered if there is a better laser that may do it quicker?

TTD
x4

Post by TTD » Mon, 31. May 10, 21:08

This has always been a problem.
If you can find a way to hold the [Cntrl] key down,i use a credit card wedged under nearby keys, it will give you time to make a drink or read more of the manual etc.

Some have spare SETAs which they eject and pick up with their spacesuits.You can then use the fire button on joystick and press [J].

But you only have 2 game hours of oxygen afaik.
You lose the SETA when you re-enter a ship.

Widow Maker
xr

Post by Widow Maker » Mon, 31. May 10, 21:11

No. To make it quicker, you can re-enter your ship when the power runs out. Eject instantly and your laser is full.

Valkarie001

Post by Valkarie001 » Mon, 31. May 10, 22:03

shame u cant upgrade it as in getting a better 1 im surprised u cant

Widow Maker
xr

Post by Widow Maker » Mon, 31. May 10, 22:06

If your willing to cheat, you can add them to a ship that can mount a tractor beam. An M6 with 8 repair lasers makes quick work of smaller ships.

garv222

Post by garv222 » Mon, 31. May 10, 22:14

The repair laser is definitely slow enough to give you a headache watching it. I put a coaster on ctrl key and watch some tv. Make sure to save if you go away first.

On another note, imagine a gigantic repair laser. That thing wouldn't be repairing your ship, it'd be melting it. What's needed are smaller repair lasers....you just need lots of them.
Duke's Buccaneers... I hate you so much... I am sooo demolishing your HQ when our business is finished....

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Mon, 31. May 10, 22:36

Valkarie001 wrote:shame u cant upgrade it as in getting a better 1 im surprised u cant
Why? The repair laser is designed to fix up battle damage to your fighters, which tend to have relatively weak hulls and therefore don't take much to fix. Anything larger you should consider paying to have it repaired at a shipyard.

Markhor

Post by Markhor » Mon, 31. May 10, 22:52

Widow Maker wrote:No. To make it quicker, you can re-enter your ship when the power runs out. Eject instantly and your laser is full.
it recharges quickly, but not instantly. maybe 2-4 seconds, versus maybe 20 seconds outside the ship.
Go into the sand, and the dust, and the sky
Go now, there's no better plan, than to do or to die
Free me, pray to the fayth in the face of the light
Feed me, fill me with sin, and get ready to fight

X3Gimp

Post by X3Gimp » Mon, 31. May 10, 23:08

I got myself a "Mammoth" and named it "Utility Mammoth".

Guess why?

Its front turret has repair laser, side turret has tractor beam, other side turret has mobile drilling laser, and back turret has cluster flak array (its to defend).

What I do? I fly the damaged ship infront of the Mammoth, eject, get into the Mammoth, Hit F1 and start repairing my damaged ship.

The Mammoth has a huge power generator, so thats not a problem.
X3 Gimp.
Leader of the Argon War Service (AWS).
Working on weapon mods.

Valkarie001

Post by Valkarie001 » Mon, 31. May 10, 23:13

cool mammoth i never knew you could do that where can you buy a repair laser for that ship?

X3Gimp

Post by X3Gimp » Mon, 31. May 10, 23:15

Thats the tricky part.

You can't buy it, but I think I dropped it out of the Space Suit and then picked it up with the Mammoth.

Or I found it as loot.
X3 Gimp.
Leader of the Argon War Service (AWS).
Working on weapon mods.

TTD
x4

Post by TTD » Mon, 31. May 10, 23:16

Pop over to the s/m forum for the repair laser Mod.

Not tried it yet,but it will add MODIFIED tag to your game.

Targ Collective
x4

Post by Targ Collective » Tue, 1. Jun 10, 02:28

Repair lasers repair at the same rate regardless of charge (beam weaponry see?) Someone timed it months and months ago and posted up the values.

The charge running low is purely to allow for the spark effect. It's eye-candy!

Repairing a freighter doesn't take that long. Corvettes take longer. When you have Frigates, Destroyers or Carriers to fix up it *will* take you hours. As for stations... Ouch.
Learn to use stickies. Look here for mods for X3TC and here for guides across everything since X2. If you haven't read the Forum Rules do so before we beat you with sticks. Above all have fun.

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Tue, 1. Jun 10, 04:21

Personally, I like to add it to that funny looking snub nosed ship the Paranid have. All the awesome of not dying of oxygen deprivation, plus the uglyness of the space suit. A mismatch made in the heavens.

Maxumous
x4

Post by Maxumous » Tue, 1. Jun 10, 17:12

Ok what about Repair Drones through D.A.D . i Havent used them yet but that should make alot of difference.

Technojerk36
xr

Post by Technojerk36 » Tue, 1. Jun 10, 17:53

Some one here already mentioned SETA repair.

If you want to cut down on your repair time by a factor of 10, then this is the thing for you!

For a detailed step by step process; check SETA Repair for Dummies. (Link in my sig).
My "for Dummies" guides: Trade Command Software Mk III | Advanced Satellites | X3: TC (Co-author: K-64) | SETA Repair
Xenon_Slayer wrote:maybe we'll have extreme weather pingpong at some point

T.Goat

Post by T.Goat » Tue, 1. Jun 10, 20:52

Does anyone know if the range you repair from changes the speed of the repair? Will a repair go quicker from 20m than from 200m?

Also, I usually just wrap my headphone cord around my joystick so the trigger is held down, then surf the web on Steam :P

Targ Collective
x4

Post by Targ Collective » Tue, 1. Jun 10, 20:55

No difference whatsoever so long as the laser doesn't miss (which it can do on extreme long-range repairs).
Learn to use stickies. Look here for mods for X3TC and here for guides across everything since X2. If you haven't read the Forum Rules do so before we beat you with sticks. Above all have fun.

66firefly
x3tc

repair lazer

Post by 66firefly » Fri, 4. Jun 10, 08:29

were do you get a repair lazer for ships? Ihave not found one for sell.

Gold Dragon
x3tc

Post by Gold Dragon » Fri, 4. Jun 10, 08:32

You don't, at least in the Vanilla Game. It comes only on the Space suit in TC.

With mods, well.... that's a different story.
-- GD

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”