[TC] Boron Ion Weapons

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Claizen
x3tc

Boron Ion Weapons

Post by Claizen » Tue, 1. Jun 10, 10:31

Hey guys, I'm wondering if any of you have a preference of Boron Ion weapons over any other types.

I was watching a skirmish between my Argon Cerberus versus a Xenon Q. I would like to think that my Cerberus was out maneuvering the Q because it may be due to the fact the Q was being struck by several blows from Ion Pulse Generators.

So it got me thinking: Instead of buying more Split Tigers and arming it to the max with IBL's, or should I go for a more balanced/tactical approach by getting Cerberuses armed with just a couple of IBLs, and the rest with ConcussionIG, IonPG, and Cluster Flak Arrays? I watched my Tigers in action, and it seems they face energy problems when they fire volleys of IBL's. As for the Cerberus, energy never goes below 90% and their guns are constantly shooting.

I'm looking to buy my first destroyer. Ion Cannons seems like an interesting weapon, but it lacks the amount of firepower on hulls than other capital ship weapons. Though, the description does say the weapon effect enemy shields, engines, and weapons.

Is there a max amount of Ion weapon effects that can occur on an enemy ship?

And do Ion Disruptors make a good Fighter-class weapon, if paired with Phased Repeater Guns, PBG, or HEPTs?
Make Proftissss, not War!

Catra

Post by Catra » Tue, 1. Jun 10, 11:05

Ion cannons reduces speed,drains laser energy (-500 per bullet, IIRC),prolly something else, cant remember. so you have all the time in the world to whittle away at that hull. :P

most destroyers can fit gauss cannons along side Ion cannons, so it isnt much of a problem for them. they all can fit PPC and IBL(IIRC), should GC not be your cup of tea.

Ion Pulse Generators,those reduce speed. they are a corvette weapon. the boron dont have an ion weapon that fits onto frigates(ion cannon is debatable, i dont view it as such).

ion disruptors are good on their own, as anti fighter weapons. gonna mix em(or replace em) if going up against corvettes.

Infekted
x3tc

Post by Infekted » Tue, 1. Jun 10, 12:16

Ion Cannons up front and Gauss on sides is a fine anti-cap ship combo. Although I prefer the range of PPCs, Ion cannons do an awesome ammount of shield damage.

Ion Pulse Generators dont seem to be particularly worth it on an M2.

Putting one Ion D in a bank of Flak is awesome tho. It bounces around clouds of fighters, stripping shields and bringing them to an almost stop in the middle of your flak clouds. It also bounces off loot thats droppped from killed ships. Meaning you have lighting going eeeeverywhere. The main bad thing about this is that allies (your ships or npcs) anywhere within a few kilometres of your ship, WILL get hit too if there's enemies near.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”