Flail/Hammer or Flail/Tomahawk plex?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Dis Astranagant
x4

Flail/Hammer or Flail/Tomahawk plex?

Post by Dis Astranagant » Fri, 4. Jun 10, 15:58

Basically I'm asking is flail/hammer plex better choice over flail/tomahawk plex cause as I see it the tomahawk beats hammer over max damage, and it occupies only 2 units of space whilst hammer occupies 20???.
I know that hammer is faster, has greater range, and can be shot faster AND from an M7M, but with 2.7 patch the m8 is treated like a fighter so it can simply follow my future cobra (probably will be my choice) and i can carry more tomahawks in cobra then hammers due to the weight difference (100 tomahawks beats 10 hammers by FAR).
Sure, i have to change freight with m8 often but the difference in power is obvious and changing e-cells and missiles is easy and fast.
There is also the the difference in price when selling the surplus which goes to the hammer but i seriously doubt I'll have any. :D

As for plex itself it will be 12flail/10 hammer or 10 tomahawk, and the loser will get 4 fabs later (for future purposes, when i get the money and will need it for boarding).

Thanks in advance!

Infekted
x3tc

Post by Infekted » Fri, 4. Jun 10, 16:12

I have 10 flails and 10 hammer plex set up. And I go through a lot more hammers than flails. So which ever you choose I would recommend more hammer/tomahawk than flail fabs.

Kor'ah
x4

Post by Kor'ah » Fri, 4. Jun 10, 16:13

Can't launch a Tomahawk from a M7M. Also, hammer torpedo has a nearly double range advantage over the Tomahawk. Just need another sensor in the sector that sees the target for the lock. ASAT, M3 fighter or a triplex equiped Mk3 trader being stupid.
[X3] Guide to training CAG and CLS1&2 pilots
[X3T] Guide to training CAG and CLS1&2 pilots in Terran Conflict

The mercenary code
There is no right or wrong.
There is no good or evil.
There is only the will of the client, and how much they're paying.

Dis Astranagant
x4

Post by Dis Astranagant » Fri, 4. Jun 10, 20:32

Kor'ah wrote:Can't launch a Tomahawk from a M7M.
The only reason I'm having doubts in the first place. :lol:

Another fun fact (Infekted, you may be interested in this one :arrow: ):
1 Hammer fab produces 4 Hammer torpedoes in one hour
1 Tomahawk fab produces 9 Tomahawks missiles in one hour
according to Online Complex Calculator.

Well i think I'll sleep it over and decide tomorrow (hopefully will have a brainstorm or something).

dbrowdy
x3tc

Post by dbrowdy » Fri, 4. Jun 10, 21:01

I have a tomahawk fab thrown in with my hammer/flail plex. I don't use the M8 much so even with only one fab, it produces more than enough to keep me topped off.

Choublanc
x3tc

Post by Choublanc » Sat, 5. Jun 10, 02:28

Tomahawks are almost the best tech product in the game for making money (cheap fab, small storage space requirement per hour, excellent minimum price). So you risk nothing when building Tomahawk fabs: if you get a surplus, it can be sold in bulk inside a ship. On the contrary, Hammers require 4.5x more space per hour. I would avoid to build more Hammer fabs than necessary (3 are OK for me).

garv222

Post by garv222 » Sat, 5. Jun 10, 02:37

I do most of my m7m bombing at under 30 km so this thread actually presents some good info for me. I've never used a bomber, but I think I'm going to need to eventually in my game because the Khaak are wreaking havoc in my poisoned paranid game.

now as far as tomahawk vs hammer heavy torpedo.....I think I'm too lazy to have a m8 following me all the time :lol: I mean that feels like a real chore to have a m8 baby sit your m7m.

If you ever get a skirnir, I suppose it'll make both obsolete as well.
Duke's Buccaneers... I hate you so much... I am sooo demolishing your HQ when our business is finished....

kurush
x3tc

Post by kurush » Sat, 5. Jun 10, 02:38

Sometimes you need both. Tomahawk is good for mass destruction, hammers are invaluable for capping when you don't want to bring a whole fleet with you and just fly a cobra. Actually, scrap tomahawks and wait until you can get phantoms. Much more kick per a unit of cargo space.

dbrowdy
x3tc

Post by dbrowdy » Sat, 5. Jun 10, 03:01

Choublanc wrote:Tomahawks are almost the best tech product in the game for making money (cheap fab, small storage space requirement per hour, excellent minimum price). So you risk nothing when building Tomahawk fabs: if you get a surplus, it can be sold in bulk inside a ship. On the contrary, Hammers require 4.5x more space per hour. I would avoid to build more Hammer fabs than necessary (3 are OK for me).
Good point here. I don't empty my tomahawk fab anymore since my M8 is full and I haven't been using it. However my CAG's are selling them and it's keeping my flail/hammer fabs rolling in e-cells.

Kor'ah
x4

Post by Kor'ah » Sat, 5. Jun 10, 04:02

Speaking of M8s and the complexes that go with them. Look into Building something like this in Legend's Home.

Code: Select all

1x Cahoona Bakery L
1x Cattle Ranch L
1x Ore Mine L @25 Yeild
2x Solar Power Plant M
5x Tomahawk Missile Manufacturing Plant
9x Complex Construction Kit

Total Cost: $30,289,072

1x Cahoona Bakery M
1x Cattle Ranch M
1x Ore Mine M @25 Yeild
1x Solar Power Plant M
2x Tomahawk Missile Manufacturing Plant
5x Complex Construction Kit

Total Cost: $13,545,980
Pick your poison. Everything needed to build and operate that can be found in Legend's Home. Factories, ships and even a TL that can be hired for free if you haven't bought one yet. All you really need to set it up is credits in your acount. The Legend's Home sector can quickly accessed from the galaxy map by pressing "L" twice. Homebase 1-3 bombers to it (with auto-resupply active) and you have these usefull tools on speed dial.

Yes, it needs crystals to operate. Crystals purchased at 1,658cr, or below, is cheaper than buying e-cells at 12 credits, so it's all good. When not needing tomahawks you can sell the meatsteaks, ore and e-cells to the local factories to earn the cash to buy crystals. With the bigger of the two complexes built Legend's Home can become a nice sector for training Mk3 traders.
[X3] Guide to training CAG and CLS1&2 pilots
[X3T] Guide to training CAG and CLS1&2 pilots in Terran Conflict

The mercenary code
There is no right or wrong.
There is no good or evil.
There is only the will of the client, and how much they're paying.

Dis Astranagant
x4

Post by Dis Astranagant » Sat, 5. Jun 10, 10:31

Well, after a good sleepless night (damn this moody weather) and no brainstorm or anything of that sort, i decided that sometimes you just have take a chance and risk everything.
So without delay i proudly present you my "NUKE-PLEX 1" http://tinyurl.com/2dlzhrm.

Please don't laugh at the name (sleepless night so no original idea whatsoever), and as you see its going to be a very mass destruction oriented (with Paranids in mind :D ).

Oh, right, there was something GOOD last night, managed to get my hands on a Gannet for free (I mean why should I buy 50 mil. credits worth vessel of destruction when i can have one for free :twisted:) and there was no rep loss at all since yaki killed all the police.
Ahh, if only it would able to move more than 32KM/h???(what is X's speed measurement unit) since it is on 46% health but even with full hull it still goes an incredible 50-ish KM/h??.

So, I'm off to building mania spree and i think my orca-chan will be busy for a while.
Thanks guys for the replies and help, much appreciated.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”