My wingmen sux =[

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

TartarusMkII

My wingmen sux =[

Post by TartarusMkII » Sat, 5. Jun 10, 07:57

I've had this problem before and it turns out the wingmen didnt have any weapons, but now I don't know why this is happening. I have two discoverers in a wing, Blue Wing, and they are ordered to protect me. when I have a target and use the hot key Shift 6 (or what ever it is) to attack my target, they fly out in front of me then turn around and stay at my side again. Also, obviously, they don't want to attack things that are attacking me either.

Why might this be?

Targ Collective
x4

Post by Targ Collective » Sat, 5. Jun 10, 08:06

You're using *Discoverers* as *wingmen*? Good grief. I fear there are more serious issues here than the fallibility of the AI, such as your choice of guardians.

M5s will get shot down by anything, including other M5s. Use M3+s and lots of them, at least!

That said, the wing is ordered to protect you. So that's what they do. If they are set to wingmen also, the Wing AI overrides the Attack Command as it is continually updated - if an enemy attacks you, or you enter combat, *then* they will engage in combat.
Learn to use stickies. Look here for mods for X3TC and here for guides across everything since X2. If you haven't read the Forum Rules do so before we beat you with sticks. Above all have fun.

Shootist
x4

Post by Shootist » Sat, 5. Jun 10, 16:09

Targ Collective wrote:You're using *Discoverers* as *wingmen*? Good grief. I fear there are more serious issues here than the fallibility of the AI, such as your choice of guardians.

M5s will get shot down by anything, including other M5s. Use M3+s and lots of them, at least!

That said, the wing is ordered to protect you. So that's what they do. If they are set to wingmen also, the Wing AI overrides the Attack Command as it is continually updated - if an enemy attacks you, or you enter combat, *then* they will engage in combat.
. . . then they will engage combat: If they don't first, 1) Fly into a factory. 2) Fly into you. 3) Fly into themselves. 4) Forget to fire missiles. 5) Fly into you., or, lastly, 6) Fly into you.

Reimu Hakurei
x3tc

Post by Reimu Hakurei » Sat, 5. Jun 10, 16:33

Shootist wrote:
Targ Collective wrote:You're using *Discoverers* as *wingmen*? Good grief. I fear there are more serious issues here than the fallibility of the AI, such as your choice of guardians.

. . . then they will engage combat: If they don't first, 1) Fly into a factory. 2) Fly into you. 3) Fly into themselves. 4) Forget to fire missiles. 5) Fly into you., or, lastly, 6) Fly into you.
Or when they do remember to fire missiles, it's a Hammerhead you left on there and forgot about. :roll:

Also M3+ are stupid expensive. If you fly an M3+ yourself and have some normal M3s as wingmen, so they'll both be able to keep up when you go full speed and won't suck your account dry when they start need replacing in numbers. But hey, if or when you have actually got the funding, you may as well go all-M3+.

hydra_one
x3tc

Post by hydra_one » Sat, 5. Jun 10, 18:29

In all honesty, who cares who he has for wingmen, I've used plenty of m5's for a wing plenty of times. Cheap, funny, etc...lol

As for the wing command, when you form a wing (blue, red etc), that command is constantly is updated just like Targ said. Because of this, when you press your wingman hotkey, after a certain amount of time, that wingman attac command will be overridden by a protect me command. You next best bet would basicly be you have to open up the commands for that wing.

TartarusMkII

Post by TartarusMkII » Sun, 6. Jun 10, 05:31

Thankyou for answering my question Hydra, and thankyou, morons for neglecting my question. Maybe I don't have much money yet and wanted to try it out so I wouldn't be a noob by asking without trying it out first. Who's the noob, exactly, jack ******?

Bill Huntington
x3tc

Wingman

Post by Bill Huntington » Sun, 6. Jun 10, 06:55

TartarusMkII, congrats to you for trying out an idea! And wingman is a good idea. Wingman is different from Wing. Sometimes newer pilots get confused about that one.

I have found that having one or two wingmen can be very helpful in combat. It (or they) are easy to control with the shift 6 and shift 7 keys, so they are not a distraction. Wing can be a big distraction. You need fast and tough ships with a rear turret, or you will get killed by missiles. If I have one wingman without a rear turret, I get something by keeping it close with Protect Ship. More than two can be problem, with a lot of collisions.

There is a progression in TC through single ship, possibly M4 to M3 to M3+, then to M6 and M7. The wingman really helps the M3+ complete missions against bigger enemies like multiple M6s (one after another, of course). The single ship might not be able to handle it, but with the help and distraction of the wingman, the pilot takes out a couple M6s. Add some fighter drones, and put them all on a Boa and you have your own mini-fleet. Deploy it when needed.

But be clear that you are the main pilot, and will do most of the killing. Pull your wingman back if it loses a lot of shield. Even have it run away, as that will probably take a few enemies with it, for later. This is why the wingman should be fast. Forget missiles. The AI will fire them when he shouldn't and not when he should.

The wingman can be a nice part of your battle planning.

Good Hunting, Tartarus MkII!
Bill in S.F., enjoying the game

Ozkar
x3tc

Post by Ozkar » Sun, 6. Jun 10, 07:34

I noticed that you mentioned that your wingmen are in Blue wing. The color coded wings are a new feature in X3TC, but there are some X3R wing carryovers. The only way that a ship is your wingman is if you go into its orders screen and set it as your wingman. It does not need to be in a color coded wing to work. I have not tried it, but I am not sure having your ship in blue wing along with the disco's would work.

Missiles are great for AI ships. But don't let the damage per warhead exceed 50% of the ships shields. i.e. don't put a Silkworm on an M4. If they fire the missile under fire, the missile will explode in their face. 50% allows some shield damage. I love to equip my fighters with wasps and other smaller yield missiles, it greatly increases their survivability. I typically use Asps though, but wasps on discos would be good, even mosquitoes with high fire rate to saturate the combat zone would increase survivability.
thankyou, morons for neglecting . . . Who's the noob, exactly, jack ******?
was that really necessary? And to be honest, you will find that discos love to die in collisions. M5s have however been used to good effect in that fleet tourney thread.
Give me a mamba or give me death!

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”