Best ship for a tractor beam

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Da-V-Man
x4

Best ship for a tractor beam

Post by Da-V-Man » Sun, 6. Jun 10, 04:07

What is the best ship speed-wise and preferably (though not necessarily) economically that you can put a tractor beam on? I originally wanted to use the TLS, but I found out that ironically it cannot mount it (even though it can mount every other weapon). All I want it for is for moving around stations.

EnderIII
x4

Post by EnderIII » Sun, 6. Jun 10, 04:11

I like the Vidar.

It's a tough ship, and moves at a decent speed.

Hyperion Vanguard works well too.

Catra

Post by Catra » Sun, 6. Jun 10, 04:13

split dragon (cheapest m6 that can use it)

or

caiman miner (pretty sure its the only TS that can use it)

Da-V-Man
x4

Post by Da-V-Man » Sun, 6. Jun 10, 04:17

Ah, the Caiman Miner looks good. Nice and cheap. Thanks!

Edit: Actually, all of the miner subtype TS ships can use a tractor beam. Though the Caiman has the largest capacity, which can help in supplying newly-constructed factories, and I like Split ships.

garv222

Post by garv222 » Sun, 6. Jun 10, 06:07

Whichever is the cheapest will work for you because maneuverability and speed really means nothing since dragging anything with a tractor beam caps your speed at... 80m/s? I think.
Duke's Buccaneers... I hate you so much... I am sooo demolishing your HQ when our business is finished....

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sun, 6. Jun 10, 09:04

Da-V-Man wrote: Edit: Actually, all of the miner subtype TS ships can use a tractor beam.
Actually, they can't. They can MOUNT a tractor beam, but that's not the same as being able to use one--you need a certain minimum laser energy to fire the beam, and the Caiman Miner is the only TS that has enough.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Sun, 6. Jun 10, 10:31

garv222 wrote:Whichever is the cheapest will work for you because maneuverability and speed really means nothing since dragging anything with a tractor beam caps your speed at... 80m/s? I think.
Which naturally implies that any ship slower than 80m/s is not interesting. Furthermore, you have to consider the "fly to the object to tow" too. That occurs before firing the beam, so full speed is available.

In X3R, where spinning was a problem, having beams at both the front and back added flexibility to the "Oh we lost the lock again. :shock: Refire" -routine.

Chealec
x3tc

Post by Chealec » Sun, 6. Jun 10, 10:49

Heavy Hydra ... there has to be _some_ use that that slow-turning monstrosity (other than as a mini missile frigate) - it can mount the tractor bean in a rear turret slot.

Plus, towing an asteroid doesn't affect the performance of the HH to any great degree - insofar as it's so bad to begin with that it can't get much worse ;)
[ external image ]

... old skool

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”