The Immelmann turn, the Chandelle, the Flat Scissors and the Split S

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Berserkenstein
x3tc

The Immelmann turn, the Chandelle, the Flat Scissors and the Split S

Post by Berserkenstein » Thu, 17. Jun 10, 19:11

They are names of aerial manuevers used in dogfighting. Now I know that most of the dogfighting manuevers are not necessary or useful in this game due to different physics or the limitations of the computer AI, but I actually use the Immelmann turn when I fight Qs with an M6 with bottom or top turrets. I fly level and away from the Q when it is chasing me, do a half loop up and level out flying over the unprotected top of the Q and let my turret unload on the Q as I pass. I repeat this until it's dead and take very little if any damage. I found this particularly useful with a Split Heavy Dragon with PBGs mounted in the top turret. Now I was wondering if any of you guys found any dogfighting manuevers that you have found useful while playing the game and would like to share? Come on now, I'm ready to take notes! :D
I'll see you on the other side!

Technojerk36
xr

Post by Technojerk36 » Thu, 17. Jun 10, 19:13

With 8 PBGs, your ship maneuvers you!

But seriously, you don't need to roll/doge/turn with 8 insta-BBQs on your ship :twisted:
My "for Dummies" guides: Trade Command Software Mk III | Advanced Satellites | X3: TC (Co-author: K-64) | SETA Repair
Xenon_Slayer wrote:maybe we'll have extreme weather pingpong at some point

Berserkenstein
x3tc

Post by Berserkenstein » Thu, 17. Jun 10, 19:31

I only have 4 on the top turret, the main guns have ISRs. I have also done it with 4 ISRs on top.

TBV
x3tc

Post by TBV » Thu, 17. Jun 10, 19:36

Berserkenstein wrote:I fly level and away from the Q when it is chasing me, do a half loop up and level out flying over the unprotected top of the Q and let my turret unload on the Q as I pass.
Explain "level out" in space. :P

Seriously though, it may feel nice to do, but it doesn't matter which way up you are and could simply be called the "turning around" manoevre.

Berserkenstein
x3tc

Post by Berserkenstein » Thu, 17. Jun 10, 19:41

Except if you just turn around you get hit by the PPCs on the sides of the Q...

Shootist
x4

Post by Shootist » Thu, 17. Jun 10, 21:45

TBV wrote:
Berserkenstein wrote:I fly level and away from the Q when it is chasing me, do a half loop up and level out flying over the unprotected top of the Q and let my turret unload on the Q as I pass.
Explain "level out" in space. :P

Seriously though, it may feel nice to do, but it doesn't matter which way up you are and could simply be called the "turning around" manoevre.
Can't speak for the author, but level out in relation to the Q, I suspect.

X3Gimp

Post by X3Gimp » Thu, 17. Jun 10, 21:57

The Q's I go up against by default have those IBL's, 8 of them, and because the AI doesn't charge 'em up, I get spammed by Fireballs of Doom.

My solution? Han Solo style, in Star Wars at the one part where he flies under the three Star Destroyers to out fly them. The Q's Bottom turret doesn't boast that good a gun, giving me an angle to approach from.

I kill Q's in M8's.

Oh yeah, In space, you can do any thing, so a thousand flips, fly loops without stalling. :roll:
X3 Gimp.
Leader of the Argon War Service (AWS).
Working on weapon mods.

Technojerk36
xr

Post by Technojerk36 » Thu, 17. Jun 10, 21:59

Against Qs, I just fly in real close and hug their hulls. This way I'm inside their arc of fire so I don't have to worry about being hit. Then I just blast away with PBGs. :P

Oh and it works against Js too. I managed to destroy the J that spawns in the Terran Campaign all by myself :D
My "for Dummies" guides: Trade Command Software Mk III | Advanced Satellites | X3: TC (Co-author: K-64) | SETA Repair
Xenon_Slayer wrote:maybe we'll have extreme weather pingpong at some point

X3Gimp

Post by X3Gimp » Thu, 17. Jun 10, 22:01

Technojerk36 wrote:Oh and it works against Js too. I managed to destroy the J that spawns in the Terran Campaign all by myself :D
I got screwed by the Osaka being Mister "Big Fat Gunner" and shooting at me while I was going into attack angle.
X3 Gimp.
Working on weapon mods.

Flozem
x3tc

Post by Flozem » Thu, 17. Jun 10, 22:16

I just go heads on and strafe.... but then I'm in a Shrike... :twisted:

When I was less rich, I would use my Sprinblossom's hit and run tactic to attack from the enemy's blind side... and back when I was even poorer I'd go up against Pirate Centaurs in my Vidar with my crash-and-burn tactic. Had most fun in my Sabre against M6 class vessels though... those were the days... 8)

X3Gimp

Post by X3Gimp » Thu, 17. Jun 10, 22:24

Flozem wrote:I just go heads on and strafe.... but then I'm in a Shrike... :twisted:

When I was less rich, I would use my Sprinblossom's hit and run tactic to attack from the enemy's blind side... and back when I was even poorer I'd go up against Pirate Centaurs in my Vidar with my crash-and-burn tactic. Had most fun in my Sabre against M6 class vessels though... those were the days... 8)
Thats the glory of rising up in terms of money and reputation. You can look at your self in a fighter while sitting in a huge carrier thinking "meh"... :roll:
X3 Gimp.
Working on weapon mods.

foszae
x4

Post by foszae » Fri, 18. Jun 10, 00:40

two things, stickling for accuracy. the modern Immelmann turn also requires that you half-roll at your higher altitude so that you're level with the same plane you entered the loop. this would of course take your top turret out of contention and make a bottom turret do your attacking. historically, WWI piston-engined fighters really couldn't pull of that manoeuvre; what they did was more of a wingover: quarter loop up, yaw over, and swoop back down and behind your target.

and frankly, if you drop your altitude a bit more, the Q has an odd blind spot slightly below and behind, where i sit and pepper it. ideally, i strafe sideways, and reverse while targeting, which forces the Q into a lazy circle around my position trying to bring guns to bear. i don't have a proper name for the rest of the manoeuvre, but it works

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Fri, 18. Jun 10, 00:54

foszae wrote:... i don't have a proper name for the rest of the manoeuvre, but it works
I could think of one, but it's a bit crude so I won't say it. :P :lol:
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Smacksim
x4

Post by Smacksim » Fri, 18. Jun 10, 01:15

Nanook wrote:
foszae wrote:... i don't have a proper name for the rest of the manoeuvre, but it works
I could think of one, but it's a bit crude so I won't say it. :P :lol:
Muzzle up the Zuzzle?

I have two more maneuvers:

Zeus Mash:

When tracking down a pesky m5 in an m3 I variously mash the Zeus-lightening-shaped-arrow-keys in a wildly unpredictable manner. This confuses the entire battlefield (esp. including me :roll: ) and often lets me get off a few P.S.O.O's (Pot Shots of Opportunity) that may even happen to wander in the general direction of the target.

Belly Flop:

Squishing a M4/5 with a Hyperion Vanguard using the strafe keys during the inevitable game of chicken.

These are historical aerial moves: Source? Monty Python Documentary Series including Holy Grail, Life of Brian, etc.. Only trust the best sources.

chinookmike
x3tc

Post by chinookmike » Fri, 18. Jun 10, 08:16

I normally use a Deimos. IBL pair on left turret. Approach slightly to right of target, and do a continuous roll to left while the turret chews up the target. Mouse control to keep nose of deimos to right of target. Usually works fairly well. Sometimes use a Springblossom instead. It,s fast enough to be hard to hit for a Q :wink: .
chinookmike

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”