[TC] Gauss cannons vs PPC

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

thecrazybear
xr

Gauss cannons vs PPC

Post by thecrazybear » Sun, 20. Jun 10, 00:03

i've recently aquired a Boreas i armed it with gauss cannons as i produce both them and the ammo is there any advantage of switching to PPC's as i haven't been able to purchase a factory to produce them yet

Allan F
x3ap

Post by Allan F » Sun, 20. Jun 10, 00:05

PPC's are nice, because you don't need to carry any ammo for them.
Maverick: Requesting permission for flyby.
Air Boss Johnson: That's a negative ghostrider, the pattern is full.
Goose: No. No, Mav, this is not a good idea.
Maverick: Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz a Split.
Split: Split now give you .... Aaaarrriiiigh.

Catra

Post by Catra » Sun, 20. Jun 10, 00:19

PPC have a good balance between shield and hull damage.
Gauss Cannons are more oriented towards ripping the hull apart.

StarTroll
x4

Post by StarTroll » Sun, 20. Jun 10, 00:39

There is also the fact that if you inted to use your Boreas OOS, don't give it any ammo based weapons.
SCUM : They may exceed you in number, but not in value.

Catra

Post by Catra » Sun, 20. Jun 10, 01:32

StarTroll wrote:There is also the fact that if you inted to use your Boreas OOS, don't give it any ammo based weapons.
ammo based weapons are fine OOS. just that when they run out its a problem.

thecrazybear
xr

Post by thecrazybear » Sun, 20. Jun 10, 02:22

i have nearly 1 million gauss rounds so ammo isn't really an issue making sure its resupplied can be but i'm mainly using the Boreas for missions or just some heavy hitting if someone takes a dislike to me or i get in over my head

StarTroll
x4

Post by StarTroll » Sun, 20. Jun 10, 02:31

The problem is you never know when it runs out, and also that you can't use mixed weapons on those mounts with GC.
SCUM : They may exceed you in number, but not in value.

DiveBomberDave
x3

Post by DiveBomberDave » Sun, 20. Jun 10, 02:37

PPC's everytime...

its no good when u'r ammo runs out....
if u use ammo weapons OOS, i dont think any energy weapons will fire either...

Plus i think the PPC's have more range...

Catra

Post by Catra » Sun, 20. Jun 10, 02:46

The problem is you never know when it runs out, and also that you can't use mixed weapons on those mounts with GC.
checking up on it is not hard.

yes you can, just not very effective since GC has the shortest range of the anticapship guns, which doesnt matter if OOS due to range standardisation.
u use ammo weapons OOS, i dont think any energy weapons will fire either...
ONLY if the ammo runs out.
Plus i think the PPC's have more range...
PPC has the longest range of the acquirable anti capship guns.

Spychotic
x3tc

Post by Spychotic » Sun, 20. Jun 10, 04:04

PPCs deal more damage. Gauss Cannons are good guns for capitals which are a little short of weapon power but the Boreas isn't one of them. Sure, Gauss Cannons are good, but PPCs are much better.

Spike
Check out the X3 Wiki!

Struggling with a plotline? Spike's Walkthroughs are your answer!

Whether you're building your first factory or a trading empire, this station management guide was made just for you.

kurush
x3tc

Post by kurush » Sun, 20. Jun 10, 04:41

Sadly, I didn't find any use for gauss in my game other than putting them on TLS and going against a Q just for fun. PPC you can charge and PPC have the best range between captial ship weapons.

palenaka
x3tc

Post by palenaka » Sun, 20. Jun 10, 06:02

for Out Of Sector, put as many PPC as you can :twisted:

For player-ship, PPC in front turret (attack my target) mix of gauss and flak for anti - fighter protection

garv222

Post by garv222 » Sun, 20. Jun 10, 09:34

Actually for OOS combat ships, mount all ammo weapons or none at all. Equipping ammo weapons for OOS combat effectively disables energy weapons from firing. The whole no ammo means no weapons working is really just that the only weapons that are capable of firing have run out of ammo. This does not apply to missiles as far as I know.
Duke's Buccaneers... I hate you so much... I am sooo demolishing your HQ when our business is finished....

Catra

Post by Catra » Sun, 20. Jun 10, 09:45

Equipping ammo weapons for OOS combat effectively disables energy weapons from firing.
only if the ammo based weapon runs outta ammo. else it works fine.
The whole no ammo means no weapons working is really just that the only weapons that are capable of firing have run out of ammo.
thats in system rules. OOS ALL guns stop firing.

garv222

Post by garv222 » Sun, 20. Jun 10, 10:36

There was some thread a while back with some guy doing tests with single mass drivers and a whole heap of energy weapons for OOS combat. I keep forgetting to bookmark it. Long story short, last time I read it he did a test with a ship using a single mass driver and watched the combat. Equipping a single mass driver lowered the damage salvo damage to barely any hull damage and no shield damage and removing the mass driver gave a mass restoration to expected damage. Same results with MAML and SSC on terran ships.
Duke's Buccaneers... I hate you so much... I am sooo demolishing your HQ when our business is finished....

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”