[TC] Elite vs. Corvette

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

rymmie1981
x3tc

Elite vs. Corvette

Post by rymmie1981 » Sun, 20. Jun 10, 02:58

This is the story of a vanilla game in its early stages. I have been a hardcore modified gamer since I found out the game could be modified(just before I bought it off of Steam).

I finally decided to try the game in its vanilla form. I used the Patriotic Argon start. You begin with an Elite and an Argon Law Enforcement License in Omicron Lyrae which is where you can pick up all the main plots. It was a pretty solid start that didn't involve crawling around the core Argon and Boron sectors in a Mercury.

So, I started off doing a couple missions here and there. A couple station defense missions, a destroy convoy mission and finally this patrol mission from Omicron Lyrae to Scale Plate Green.

Everything was going fine. I fought off a pirate M5. Kha'ak invasion fleet of an interceptor and two scouts. I even managed to destroy four Xenon N's.

I start flying in circles in Nyana's Hideout waiting for the next enemy to pop up on my scanner.

Suddenly I saw a red line on my scanner so I pulled up the sector map. To my dismay, instead of an M5, M4, or even an M3, the red teardrop shape of an enemy M6 flashed just below the green of my own Elite. Even worse, the words next to the symbol spelled out Kha'ak Corvette.

I prepared to die. My first instinct was to run, so I ran. My 160m/s outran the corvette's 102m/s easily. I tried to find a station to see if it would go away when I docked. This was a mistake. Going 58m/s faster than your enemy only works when you actually go 58m/s faster. The 40m/s docking speed meant that he was coming at me with 62m/s advantage.

I docked just as I heard the hiss of Kyon Emitters behind me. Once I docked, the corvette just circled the station turning its deathrays on it instead. Having never been inside a station under attack, I decided it wasn't time to find out what happens when you're in a station that blows up. I had to undock to get out of there, but there was still the question of that purple people eater outside.

I left the station, turned toward the gate as I prepared to make my run for it. Transport ships popped on either side of me. Whatever passes for local police had been popped minutes ago. With the corvette between me and the gate, I hit my boost extension and prayed. The Kyon beams hissed against my sheilds and the little blue lines sank depressingly fast. Then, suddenly, something unexpected happened. Something I'm sure the corvette had never considered. As I came close and started to pass it, the Emitters turned from me and back to the station.

My inner opportunist came alive. I asked myself a small question. Can four PAC's running on my Elite's energy capacitors overcome the shield recharge of a Kha'ak corvette? There was only one way to find out.

I tell the rest of this tale in pictures.

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

And finally, to prove that this is vanilla and to show that all I had was full engine tuning and fight command software mk1 upgrades, the following...

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

Simply put, I took out a Kha'ak corvette with a barely upgraded Elite. I feel good about myself. :D :D :D

palenaka
x3tc

Post by palenaka » Sun, 20. Jun 10, 06:05

nice work :)

btw if you comm a station and request docking... fly to the little green thing and when you get close, slow down. You'll pop into the dock and you won't have to wait for the autopillock to dock you

rymmie1981
x3tc

Post by rymmie1981 » Sun, 20. Jun 10, 08:29

Oh, I haven't let the pillock dock me since my second or third hour of playing ever. If I had let it dock, I would have been dead while I was still over 1k from the station. The problem isn't the autopilot, it's the sloooowww speed you have to dock at.

I have solved the problem now. I went to Queen's Harbor and bought a docking computer. Since I posted that, I've gone all the way to Hero of the Federation, and I'm working on my Boron rep now. The only problem I've run into is that my fighter rank has vastly outstripped my Elite, but I'm not making enough money to upgrade to the M6 or M7 I need to start taking on these new missions.

garv222

Post by garv222 » Sun, 20. Jun 10, 09:38

The next time this happens and you feel out classed, check to see if there is a carrier in the sector. You can comm them for help usually for pirates, xenon or khaak. Hopefully you'll get a positive message that they are sending out a unit to help. A carrier will launch a few fighters to assist. I'm not sure how this works out individual ships. They might make a beeline toward the aggressor.
Duke's Buccaneers... I hate you so much... I am sooo demolishing your HQ when our business is finished....

TBV
x3tc

Post by TBV » Sun, 20. Jun 10, 12:52

:thumb_up: Nice one.

But you got a bit lucky it had other things to shoot at. It's worth carrying a
few Wasps or Fighter-Drones to give it something to shoot at other than you, when
there's not much else around.

Next up, KM2? Might need to swap the PACs for MDs for that one.

rymmie1981
x3tc

Post by rymmie1981 » Sun, 20. Jun 10, 20:10

I did a little research and decided on getting the Advanced Perseus in Duke's Citadel. It's a huge step up from the Elite. M5's and M4's barely register on the shields now. I'm running the 2 PBE's it spawned with as well as 6 HEPT's that happened to be sitting in the Paranid Equipment Dock in the sector. I have 5 Mk1 Drones, and a PAC from the Elite on the turret for missile defense. It tears through anything colored red, and like I mentioned before, nothing even gets me below 80% shields now.

Did I mention this is so much more awesome than a modified game?

Bobucles
x3tc

Post by Bobucles » Mon, 21. Jun 10, 01:57

Wow, very nice!

Six Mass Drivers are pretty much the best loadout for M4 ships. Don't let the short range and low damage fool you- 1) They cut right past shields and shred the hull directly, 2) They can be fired nonstop, unlike PAC/PRGs, and 3) Corvettes have pretty lousy hulls. You'll be popping M6's left and right.

The only problem is keeping ammo and energy cells handy. This is easily solved by using a Military Transport (TM) as your flagship. They are less than 1m credits fully kitted, store over 1K cargo, use 200mj shields, and can carry spare fighters, making them a great early game investment.

Aro
x4

Post by Aro » Mon, 21. Jun 10, 02:48

Found a good TM is handy in most stages of the game.

Nice survival story... you should try out the DiD start when 3.0 comes around :wink:.
[ external image ]
The end of a trilogy does not mean an end to a series.
| Vanilla with strawberries? [List of Vanilla safe mods.] | Tired of the plots? [Plot Skipper Tool v0.5] |
| X3: R & TC Minimaps |

yann_leei
x3tc

Post by yann_leei » Mon, 21. Jun 10, 06:57

nice

on my current game, i remember being ~ 5hrs game time in, flying around in the ownerless advanced barracuda i picked up. all of a sudden, as i'm leaving the vault, i see some red jump in. check my sector map...

1 kha'ak carrier, 2 destroyers, 4 corvettes, and a boatload of strike craft. i had just saved, so i say, what the hell, why not?

unfortunately my tale does not end as successfully as yours. reloaded the save, and for some reason, this time GoD decided not to warp this sector clearing fleet in the second time around

XanII
x4

Post by XanII » Mon, 21. Jun 10, 15:16

Reminds me of the days when i took out a Khaak M6 with Enhanced Pericles.

I was sure i am not going to survive but i did. 4xPAC was all i had. Luckily the corvette trashed everything in sight, not just me.

Eventualy i beat it with 90% hull.
X3:TC Heavy M6 guide : : : Let's pretend you are an addict, lets pretend that you are a X-games player... but i am repeating myself here.

SinisterDeath
x4

Post by SinisterDeath » Mon, 21. Jun 10, 17:34

You don't actually need to be going really slooow to dock, it just makes it dock easier. If you time it correctly you can nail the green and dock while traveling at 160km/s ;)

As for destroying a Corvette, Good Job. I know destroying a Xenon Q with Centaur is just as fun. ;)

The best bet on destroying bigger ships is to use your speed and faster manuverability against them. Hell the easiest way to destroy a Xenon Q with a smaller ship is get real close to them so they can't even fire against you, or just stay out of range all together and use longer-ranged weaponry against em. :D

StarTroll
x4

Post by StarTroll » Mon, 21. Jun 10, 21:37

The best bet on destroying bigger ships is to use your speed and faster manuverability against them. Hell the easiest way to destroy a Xenon Q with a smaller ship is get real close to them so they can't even fire against you, or just stay out of range all together and use longer-ranged weaponry against em. Very Happy
True in most cases, not really for the Khaaks though. Their weaponry being what it is, you can't really dodge incoming fire.
SCUM : They may exceed you in number, but not in value.

rymmie1981
x3tc

Post by rymmie1981 » Tue, 22. Jun 10, 05:34

I tried taking a corvette one-on-one with Perseus. With a gate being the only other object around, I died horribly. Looking to upgrade into an M6 or M7 ship soon. I'm starting to train marines while I'm getting the money to kit out a new ship. That's expensive and takes forever, though. The end result will be worth it. I hope...

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”