Wasp missiles have been nerfed in TC 2.7.1

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Gswine
x3ap

Wasp missiles have been nerfed in TC 2.7.1

Post by Gswine » Tue, 22. Jun 10, 11:05

Anybody else noticed that the life time of the wasp missile has changed dramaticaly?

I can understand that multiple wasp missiles just bobbing around their target could have been effecting FRP's (and also really annoying, just kill the target dammit!) but the wasp's effective distance is now in no way representitive of the stated range in it's profile.

I feel that rather than being balanced this missile has been nerfed.

Any thoughts?
She was right. Selection B4, His most recent hit, 'Nowhere Nuthin' ****-up,' a sentimental number.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 22. Jun 10, 11:26

If that is true then it will have reduced the individual missile's duration as a turret decoy during strafing runs or boarding, or as a distraction to attackers of freighters waiting to jump out. I never really used Wasps to kill things anyway, just as decoys.

That said, surely the missile profile in the in-game encyclopaedia is generated from the in-game files so it must be current and accurate. Just compare what is said in-game now against what is said in the data sheets from before to see if anything has changed.

Kor'ah
x4

Post by Kor'ah » Tue, 22. Jun 10, 11:32

Current lifespan of the wasp is 32.4 seconds. Looks fine to me. The missiles where never of the long duration type.
[X3] Guide to training CAG and CLS1&2 pilots
[X3T] Guide to training CAG and CLS1&2 pilots in Terran Conflict

The mercenary code
There is no right or wrong.
There is no good or evil.
There is only the will of the client, and how much they're paying.

Paranoid66
x3tc

Post by Paranoid66 » Tue, 22. Jun 10, 11:33

I found the old one shot wasps in X2 far more effective than the new wasps. I want the old ones back again.

When I used wasps they just flew around and around the target like spaceflies on space fuel - with perhaps one or two warheads hitting - that never seemed quite right so I more or less gave up on them some time ago.

I was surprised some other people seemed to find them useful.
Beyond 'X' Far future (Fanfic): BkI BkII BkIII

Never more than 98.8 percent sure about anything.
98.8 percent sure that anyone who is 100 percent certain needs re-educating for the sake of humanity.

Kor'ah
x4

Post by Kor'ah » Tue, 22. Jun 10, 11:36

Well, they are great as a "turn off enemy turrets" button. Pretty much all I ever use them for.

The mercenary code

Gswine
x3ap

Post by Gswine » Tue, 22. Jun 10, 11:43

I ran 2.7.1 for the first time last night. Took a Xenon invasion mission, targeted the first wave of xenon N's at about 14.km distance from me launched the wasps and most of them self destructed before reaching the targets.

Wasp info states their range as 18 and odd (.3 or 4?) km. No way did they last 32 seconds.

Normally have plenty of time between volleys. Like I said, I can see why the life time of the wasp may have been changed as they can just circle a target but these didn't even reach the targets.
She was right. Selection B4, His most recent hit, 'Nowhere Nuthin' ****-up,' a sentimental number.

Kor'ah
x4

Post by Kor'ah » Tue, 22. Jun 10, 12:08

The range stat on the swarm missiles is way off. That stat is crudely calulated useing (lifetime*speed). Swarm missiles don't exactly fly in a strait line, but more of a corkscrew. That is where the range reduction is comming from.

The mercenary code

Gswine
x3ap

Post by Gswine » Tue, 22. Jun 10, 12:12

I certainly understand where your coming from there. Still did not feel like the wasps I'm used to...

Anyway thanks for the reply

dillpickle
x3tc

Post by dillpickle » Tue, 22. Jun 10, 12:29

According to the tmissiles file the wasp is exactly the same as it was in version 1.0.

The 2.7.1 update only changed mission director files - no alterations to missiles.

Gswine
x3ap

Post by Gswine » Tue, 22. Jun 10, 12:55

And yet...

TTD
x4

Post by TTD » Tue, 22. Jun 10, 22:21

Gswine wrote:And yet...
"A watched kettle never boils."

Sometimes our expectations are greater than what is possible,or our memories cause mis-conceptions.

Bobucles
x3tc

Post by Bobucles » Wed, 23. Jun 10, 02:03

Would any particular wasp bug cause a dozen swarms to be launched at the same time? It's probably just some tweaking gone awry, but it never hurts to be sure. :roll:

Gswine
x3ap

Post by Gswine » Thu, 24. Jun 10, 13:30

TTD wrote: "A watched kettle never boils."

Sometimes our expectations are greater than what is possible,or our memories cause mis-conceptions.
This could end up being my new sig :lol:

Hellfire29
x3tc

Post by Hellfire29 » Thu, 24. Jun 10, 14:21

Beaten :lol:
Guns don't kill people, Split kill people.

I'm always up for a game of Monopoly.

TTD
x4

Post by TTD » Thu, 24. Jun 10, 20:26

:oops:

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Thu, 24. Jun 10, 20:30

TTD wrote::oops:
You can always sue him for copyright infringement, or at the very least, get royalties. I'd charge him at least a fully loaded Aran, or two. :fg:
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Magnu
xr

Post by Magnu » Thu, 24. Jun 10, 20:40

Gswine wrote:
TTD wrote: "A watched kettle never boils."

This could end up being my new sig :lol:
I'm just being pedantic but the accepted phrase is 'A watched pot never boils' :D

TTD
x4

Post by TTD » Thu, 24. Jun 10, 20:53

Not if you watched Data on StarTrek time how long it takes to boil :)

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”